onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Touquay post match

yorky valiant

I'm sure the game when Jim Steel scored we won 2-0 and were promoted was a Friday night.

The game was played on Sat 2nd April 1983, and Jim Steel scored the only goal of the game. promotion was secured with a 2-0 win at Stockport.

You remembered getting a fork in your head that day :)

http://www.onevalefan.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?31072-Torquay-away-on-Match-of-the-Day&p=797468&viewfull=1#post797468

Advert

The game was played on Sat 2nd April 1983, and Jim Steel scored the only goal of the game. promotion was secured with a 2-0 win at Stockport.

You remembered getting a fork in your head that day :)

http://www.onevalefan.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?31072-Torquay-away-on-Match-of-the-Day&p=797468&viewfull=1#post797468

Think I've got out out of bed far too early, I saw the name Steel and Friday night and immediately thought of Stockport for some reason! :doh: Perhaps that fork in my head is now beginning to take effect!:D

Shown good resilience and got a result away at a club fighting to stay clear of relegation. Also avoided the pressure that would come from losing and being perceived to be in a slump. Good result and also applied pressure to Rotherham who are a threat, probably the main threat from those teams currently in play off positions.

Considering everything that has gone on recently (a couple of poor results, not being able to pick Hughes, Williamson or Chilvers for various reasons, McCombe coming in after several weeks out and Knill taking over for his first game) it was, as Adams said, a very good three points.

Was Howe as annoying as the commentators were saying? they said how he was waving imaginary cards after every tackle trying to get Vale players booked or sent off.

I really used to like him and wouldn't of minded him here but no ta if that's his game.

I didn't see him do that but most of their team did.

By far the worst was benyon. He just fell on the ball at one point and seemed disgusted when the ref stopped play when Duffy got his head injury. Incidentally that was the first of about 3 times when the ref blew his whistle in favour of us.

Burge booked for nothing and then nearly sent off for an innocuous foul on the half way line.

Purse was basically booked in the first half, he was getting battered and the ref ignored him, warned him for dissent and then the first foul he puts in is a yellow.

They wanted a penalty every time they crossed it. Aiming at hands instead of their own players.

Poor game but we created enough to win. Bar howes header and an offside chance they didn't threaten at all. We should have had at least one more out of Calvin pope and Vincent who all had poor misses.

Morsy was class when he came on. As I say burge would have been sent off if he'd of so much as sneezed near a Torquay player but they had a 5 min spell where we were on the ropes . Morsy came on and won everything.

Great win considering dodds not match fit and Hughes and Williamson were ill. Purse was awesome, rest of defence solid. Loft had his best game for ages. Pope battled. Andrew had sparks of something but a few iffy moments. Jmw and Vincent again were poor for the majority.

Started slowly again. Neal did indeed make a very good save early on which could have seen them take a deserved lead. Pitch was very bobbly and again made playing the ball on the deck a bit difficult. Our goal had an element of good fortune about it but not arguing about that! We were more in control in the second half and could have had one or two more with a dreadful miss by Vincent when through on goal being the low point. They pressed in the last five minutes but never created any clear cut chances. 700 Vale fans there. 2 Ladies toilets. I believe the queue is only just subsiding!

To be fair to Vincent the ball bobbled up on the surface just as he was about to hit it. We should have had at least two further goals in the second half.

Started slowly again. Neal did indeed make a very good save early on which could have seen them take a deserved lead. Pitch was very bobbly and again made playing the ball on the deck a bit difficult. Our goal had an element of good fortune about it but not arguing about that! We were more in control in the second half and could have had one or two more with a dreadful miss by Vincent when through on goal being the low point. They pressed in the last five minutes but never created any clear cut chances. 700 Vale fans there. 2 Ladies toilets. I believe the queue is only just subsiding!

Why were all 700 trying to get in the ladies?

Archived