onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Vale or Bradford

tonyh

Advert

Promotion all day long

If Bradford don't win what have they done? Had a day at Wembley, but would still be looking at trips to Aldershot, Accrington & York next season.

I have been to the Old Wembley 3 times supporting vale and I have only seen 1 promotion so I will take the promotion please

To be more accurate, it is Cup Finals that come and go, a one-day high that cannot seriously be preferred to promotion which lifts a club for a minimum of a year, but hopefully for many, many seasons.

It is also the League Cup, and whilst I applaud Bradford CITY totally, and wish them well in the final, it is not quite as special as the FA Cup, which still awaits a lower league finalist.

An easy choice in my opinion - especially after suffering so many seasons in this awful division and playing Dagenham, Fleetwood Burton Accrington etc instead of Sheffield United or other much bigger teams who don't just bring 37 away fans. No disrespect to those clubs I have named, they have done amazing things on limited budgets especially Dagenham and Accrington.

I'm pretty sure that if Bradford don't get promoted this season, their own fans will say they would swap the Wembley day out for a higher division - especially if they get beaten by three, four or even more goals.

So you're not a bitter, old-fashioned football fan then?

Coventry won't be living on it much longer promotion every time . A month later and cups are forgotten especially the runners up which I suspect it will be in brad fords case

I still remember that houchin goal! Can't remember much else about Coventry to be honest.

Which would you have preferred, Vale getting to the league cup final, like Bradford, or Vale getting promotion?

Having just got back from having a drink, I think I'd prefer to be a Bradford supporter.

Promotions come and go, but this is a once in a lifetime experience for them.

ask a stoke fan 1972 league cup winners apparently. heard it said more than once by more than one of them in reference to their achievements.

;)

Pessismist!! With our present squad we now have every chance of competing with all the Division 1 teams.

The point I was trying to make was that winning the cup final or getting promoted could both last one season with no guarentee that promotion brings more financial revenue and a longer lasting platform than appearing in the cup final would do.

Bradford have made 2.3m so far on this cup run. If we increased ave gates next season by 1000 at say £20 then that is £460k over the season.

Im actually optimistic that should we go up we can stay up but that is due to the ambitions of PW and not the current squad.

The point I was trying to make was that winning the cup final or getting promoted could both last one season with no guarentee that promotion brings more financial revenue and a longer lasting platform than appearing in the cup final would do.

Bradford have made 2.3m so far on this cup run. If we increased ave gates next season by 1000 at say £20 then that is £460k over the season.

Im actually optimistic that should we go up we can stay up but that is due to the ambitions of PW and not the current squad.

I can see what you are saying and as we all know each and every one of us will have their own opinion on whatever may be discussed/debated. Fans will be divided at most Clubs on appearing in a Wembley final or achieving promotion so Vale supporters are no different there. My input into this particular thread is that as Vale fans we have endured many, many hard, barren years in the lower leagues but still stuck with it. That gives you a thicker skin than the majority of supporters who follow a Premier or Championship team. They, statistically, have a better chance of going to Wembley than the rest of the Football League teams and perhaps they become conditioned in a way that they feel always that they have a very good chance of making a Final. The rest of us "dream" of the opportunity, knowing, deep inside that our chances are very, very slim.That makes it all the more exiting when our "little" clubs go far in the Cup competitions and then we start to hope/dream/believe it's our year. The whole community then seem to get involved, especially in areas where success has been non existent for years and this grows into a euphoria that grips the club/fans/residents alike. That "feeling" is the one many are describing on this thread.Yes it's brilliant to be in that position and yes that "feeling" can stay with some real fans for years, simply because it will probably not be repeated again for the likes of the "little" clubs. I totally agree that euphoria/feeling/experience is one that we all would like to experience at least once in our football lives BUT the actual following of your club into a successful promotion can also live with you just as long and in some cases, longer than the day-thrill of a Wembley trip. As a longtime Vale fan I still keep with my own belief that winning promotion from any Division is a far greater, thrilling, long-lasting buzz to me than (an admittedly great experience) day out to the Big Stafdium.

Port Vale have been promoted many many times in their history but in all the years since they were founded in 1876 they have never appeared in a major cup final at Wembley.

Promotions come and go. Major cup final appearances don't.

In fact, to most supporters, the most cherished Vale team is the 53-54 side - not because they got promoted but because they reached the semi-final of the FA Cup and almost got to Wembley.

Archived