onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Players I never want to see in a Vale shirt again

Advert

1 hour ago, Sam Kelly's Left Boot said:

Regardless of players, I just want us to scrap this wingback bullshìt formation.

Play with proper wingers and attack and be positive, instead of this dull boring crap and not having a clue what to do when we hit the half way line because we have zero options going forward.

Oh and sign players for those actual positions, instead of signing players and playing them out of position for the entire season. It's suicide.

Didn’t we have wingbacks when we were promoted from League 2?

1 hour ago, PV1993 said:

My personal opinion: we cannot just get rid of everyone, it doesn’t work like that. We’d have no money left to sign anyone decent by paying up. So got to be careful and think about who can do a job in L2.

don't forget, we were poor when we played Mansfield, who were unbeaten at the time and have stormed L2, and we played them off the park. There is a gulf between L2 and top half of L1. Our squad wasn’t good enough for L2 but I am confident that there are players there that have done or will do a job at a lower level.

All loan players go back (obviously). Don’t sign any - not been good enough.

Under contract players to keep:

Connor Ripley - two L1 relegations but stood out in both of those campaigns. Would easily be good enough for a promotion chasing L2 side

Nathan Smith - We know what he can do at L2 level. I do this we need a commanding Leon Legge type defender alongside him though. He’s not a leader to me.

Mitch Clark - been really unlucky this season. Get him back and he’ll be a good player for us

Ben Garrity - nothing more to be said. Got to build the squad around him. Make him captain for me. Just hope he doesn’t force a move or someone else comes in for him. At least we’d get some money though.

Ethan Chislet - copy and paste Garrity (bar the captaincy bit).

Funso Ojo - lost his way a bit but a more than good enough player - should run the show in L2 (look at the Mansfield game, they were top and unbeaten when we played them and we made them look average).

James Plant - we’re ruining him a bit by playing him more defensively. When he first broke through he was fantastic further forward. Let’s get him further up the pitch.

Shorrock/Lomax - loan them out

Baylee Dipepa - proved himself enough for a part to play in L2.

Jesse Debrah - I do like him. He’s young and has pace which none of our other defenders have. We can improve him, I just think NL to L1 was a step too far, so L2 should be good for him.

Under contract players to release/undecided

Dan Jones - we already know he is good enough for L2 having been promoted with us before, but he is too injury prone. Could go either way. With his fitness though, I don’t think he would want to end his contract, so might be stuck with him anyway

Tom Sang - trouble with Sang is, he’s becoming a bit of a jack of all trades. He’s not good enough defensively to be a full back or wing back, at least he wasn’t in L1. But he’s still young enough to develop and I’d like to see him in CM.

Ryan Loft - sorry, but a bit of work rate just isn’t enough. Although his strike rate in L2 does work out at one in four. I don’t know what his contract is like but if he’s a higher earner he needs to go. If not, he might be good in the squad.

Connor Grant - same as Sang. I’d love to see him in the middle, he is a tidy footballer. Not defensively good enough or quick enough out wide though.

Alex Iacovitti - sometimes he’s brilliant and sometimes he’s dire. I don’t think we can keep all the centre halves as we need to get at least one better commanding one in. He’d probably be there one of look to move on.

Out of contract players

Maybe keep Leutwiler as he can’t be on much and is a solid back up, but honestly I’d rather see a younger lad come in and learn.

Give that Wynne a game next week just to see what he’s about.

Keep the academy prospects if they’re good enough or want to stay.

Release the rest.

Even if all the under contracted players stayed, that gives us a squad of 16. If we add 9 quality additions of top of that, we’d probably be alright.

Aim to get a left wing back, and then an experienced CB (big commanding leader), CM (like Ryan woods at Exeter) and ST (Cameron Jerome?), and hope we can find some more young talent like Ollie and Alfie. Couple more strikers I think we’ll have a good squad for L2

Great post👍🏻

Only one I genuinely have any sort of affection for is Ben Garrity. But we should also look to keep hold of Ripley, Smith, Ojo and Chislett. Perhaps Clark if he can get himself fit as he should be a good player for League Two. Then the kids. The rest I couldn't care less about.

But for the love of God, can we please stop playing midfielders as wing-backs. Grant and Sang should never be considered for that position never mind play there most weeks.

• Like 2

Cash in on Smith. He has a year on his contract, 400 senior games at L1 and L2 level, captain’s experience, only 28, a dependable mainstay fitness wise, experience of ‘big event’ games. His CV will appeal to many teams with bigger budgets looking for experienced fill-ins and I doubt many know much / any detail beyond his stats sheet. Obviously his speed, height, leadership and general ability is questionable, but like I said his sellable assets can fetch a decent price tag if marketed correctly. It’s time to totally revamp the defence. Every single player across the back line. To do that you need funds. He’s one of the only players who could demand a fee and I think some would pay it for the reasons stated above.

Edited by 1

Moore will have contacts to get decent players in and have the right links to incentivise not-wanteders to move on. I’m optimistic that Carol will give him a nice budget, and that he himself and people who report to him will have the main say on what happens with the playing squad.

Edited by 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rockape99 said:

I’d keep 

Ripley 

Ben G 

Chslett 

Clarke 

Plant 

Shorrock 

Lomax 

Baylee 

Ojo 

Ojo can be kept on if he agrees to be the bog attendant don't want him on the pitch the guy show no interest or fight, Clarke is hit n miss seems be on the treatment table mire than on the pitch and Ripley I'm not convinced good <ovf censored> stopper but pisses about too much takes to many risks and  doesn't command his area enough 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, headsup said:

Were you saying that during promotion season? And every other L2 season for that matter? 

L2 is his level and guess where we are next season… He can still do a job for us.

i was and still am. hes just a cheap option like quite a few others. we got very lucky getting out of league 2 last time. it was a battle. good teams run away with leagues. we struggled then got rid of the battlers and replaced them with far worse and guess what? were back in the bear pit. its put the club back a minimum of 3-4 years. awful.

4 hours ago, Spunk Trumpet said:

I’ve been saying it for 7 seasons or so.

Let’s not make out that he’s a great defender even in league 2. Because he’s not. 
If he was put on the transfer list who would come in for him? 
He can kick a ball. Head a ball. And use the dark arts. Beyond that he’s crap. 

spot on.

For me we need players who hate losing. Something Clarke was good at instilling. We need players who are hard workers don't necessarily have to be the best technically. Give me 11 Garritys please.

Regarding Smith- I think he can do a job for us at league 2 which is about his level and he is a local lad also so knows what the fans demand and although we do need a big clearout I would keep him. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RayWalkers40yarder said:

i was and still am. hes just a cheap option like quite a few others. we got very lucky getting out of league 2 last time. it was a battle. good teams run away with leagues. we struggled then got rid of the battlers and replaced them with far worse and guess what? were back in the bear pit. its put the club back a minimum of 3-4 years. awful.

I agree to an extent but you can’t moan about getting rid of battlers and then call for Smith who, along with Garrity, is the biggest battler at the club.

He’s a hard working, solid defender and is by all accounts a good character in the dressing room. We need to use him in the right system or as a squad player. The way we played this season highlighted his weaknesses but that’s down to bad recruitment and management.

He’s been a consistent first-teamer under, what, six or seven managers now? They can’t all be wrong…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1