onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Players I never want to see in a Vale shirt again

15 minutes ago, Spunk Trumpet said:

He’s garbage.

Best he moves on for both parties. He will never ever improve from here on in. 

Were you saying that during promotion season? And every other L2 season for that matter? 

L2 is his level and guess where we are next season… He can still do a job for us.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Advert

Were you saying that during promotion season? And every other L2 season for that matter? 
L2 is his level and guess where we are next season… He can still do a job for us.
We've been garbage except for 1.5 seasons Smith has been a first team regular. People used to make the same argument about Pope. First season after we let him go we went up

Just now, philmpv said:
3 minutes ago, headsup said:

We've been garbage except for 1.5 seasons Smith has been a first team regular. People used to make the same argument about Pope. First season after we let him go we went up

We’d have been worse off without him in those seasons. I mean, he won player of the year two times so he can’t have been that bad.

In fairness, I would rather see him as a squad player rather than a nailed-on starter, but I really don’t have faith in our recruitment to replace him. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, headsup said:

I’ve been saying it for 7 seasons or so.

Let’s not make out that he’s a great defender even in league 2. Because he’s not. 
If he was put on the transfer list who would come in for him? 
He can kick a ball. Head a ball. And use the dark arts. Beyond that he’s crap. 

40 minutes ago, Spunk Trumpet said:

A must keep is Garrity. 
I wouldn’t like to see Chislett leave. 
If Ripley leaves I’ll have mixed feelings. 
Any of the others can get in the bin.

Yeah , Chis & Gaz move heaven and earth to tie then down then bin off and transfer list the rest except for Dipepa, Lomax and shorrock Carol created the mess through being stubborn and backing the wrong horse she can put the record straight but it's gonna be a big task let's see what happens 🤨😬

1 hour ago, Doha said:

All of them, except Garrity, Chislett and Dipepa, and maybe 3 of the other kids. Leutwiler hasn't ever disgraced himself either. The other 28 GET OUT.

Totally agree, keep The 3 you mentioned and Shorrock, Plant and Lomax.

Let Walters go, he’s doesn’t seem to want to sign his contract.

Give the kids a go v Cambridge. Want to see Dipepa, Shorrock, Plant, Walters and anyone else who is near the first team starting to get them valuable experience. We'll need them next year.

As for the experienced players, I want to keep Ripley, Smith, Mitch Clark, Garrity, Chislett, Ojo. 

Never want to see Sang, Loft, Grant, Lowe, Massey or Weir in a Vale shirt ever again.

The others (Cass, Jones, Lopata, Uche, Leutwiler, Iacovitti, Debrah) I genuinely don't care. If we keep them they'll do a job but really, we need better than they've showed this season.

2 hours ago, philmpv said:

Though I'm unlikely to get my wish:

Grant
Iacovitti
Smith
Weir
Ojo
Loft
Uche
Jones
Wilson (as much as I love him)
Massey
Lopata
Mighten

I'm giving Debrah the benefit of the doubt on account of the shower next to him, but it's close

Edit: And Lowe (forgot about him)

It would be quicker to say who we do want to see in a Vale shirt again. Ripley, Garrity, Chislett, Plant, Shorrock and Dipepa. I guess we’ll lose at least 3 of them, maybe 4.

Edited by Rudgies Flat Cap
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Spunk Trumpet said:

I’ve been saying it for 7 seasons or so.

Let’s not make out that he’s a great defender even in league 2. Because he’s not. 
If he was put on the transfer list who would come in for him? 
He can kick a ball. Head a ball. And use the dark arts. Beyond that he’s crap. 

Isn't that what you want from a defender in league two ?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mr1876 said:

Isn't that what you want from a defender in league two ?

No. 
He played 40 odd games in the season we finished 20th in that league!

Conor Hall made him look silly in the year we got promoted. 

Positionally he’s a liability and has been an absolute banter captain.

He’s played 400 games for the club and will never ever be anywhere near legend status. That says it all. 

My personal opinion: we cannot just get rid of everyone, it doesn’t work like that. We’d have no money left to sign anyone decent by paying up. So got to be careful and think about who can do a job in L2.

don't forget, we were poor when we played Mansfield, who were unbeaten at the time and have stormed L2, and we played them off the park. There is a gulf between L2 and top half of L1. Our squad wasn’t good enough for L2 but I am confident that there are players there that have done or will do a job at a lower level.

All loan players go back (obviously). Don’t sign any - not been good enough.

Under contract players to keep:

Connor Ripley - two L1 relegations but stood out in both of those campaigns. Would easily be good enough for a promotion chasing L2 side

Nathan Smith - We know what he can do at L2 level. I do this we need a commanding Leon Legge type defender alongside him though. He’s not a leader to me.

Mitch Clark - been really unlucky this season. Get him back and he’ll be a good player for us

Ben Garrity - nothing more to be said. Got to build the squad around him. Make him captain for me. Just hope he doesn’t force a move or someone else comes in for him. At least we’d get some money though.

Ethan Chislet - copy and paste Garrity (bar the captaincy bit).

Funso Ojo - lost his way a bit but a more than good enough player - should run the show in L2 (look at the Mansfield game, they were top and unbeaten when we played them and we made them look average).

James Plant - we’re ruining him a bit by playing him more defensively. When he first broke through he was fantastic further forward. Let’s get him further up the pitch.

Shorrock/Lomax - loan them out

Baylee Dipepa - proved himself enough for a part to play in L2.

Jesse Debrah - I do like him. He’s young and has pace which none of our other defenders have. We can improve him, I just think NL to L1 was a step too far, so L2 should be good for him.

Under contract players to release/undecided

Dan Jones - we already know he is good enough for L2 having been promoted with us before, but he is too injury prone. Could go either way. With his fitness though, I don’t think he would want to end his contract, so might be stuck with him anyway

Tom Sang - trouble with Sang is, he’s becoming a bit of a jack of all trades. He’s not good enough defensively to be a full back or wing back, at least he wasn’t in L1. But he’s still young enough to develop and I’d like to see him in CM.

Ryan Loft - sorry, but a bit of work rate just isn’t enough. Although his strike rate in L2 does work out at one in four. I don’t know what his contract is like but if he’s a higher earner he needs to go. If not, he might be good in the squad.

Connor Grant - same as Sang. I’d love to see him in the middle, he is a tidy footballer. Not defensively good enough or quick enough out wide though.

Alex Iacovitti - sometimes he’s brilliant and sometimes he’s dire. I don’t think we can keep all the centre halves as we need to get at least one better commanding one in. He’d probably be there one of look to move on.

Out of contract players

Maybe keep Leutwiler as he can’t be on much and is a solid back up, but honestly I’d rather see a younger lad come in and learn.

Give that Wynne a game next week just to see what he’s about.

Keep the academy prospects if they’re good enough or want to stay.

Release the rest.

Even if all the under contracted players stayed, that gives us a squad of 16. If we add 9 quality additions of top of that, we’d probably be alright.

Aim to get a left wing back, and then an experienced CB (big commanding leader), CM (like Ryan woods at Exeter) and ST (Cameron Jerome?), and hope we can find some more young talent like Ollie and Alfie. Couple more strikers I think we’ll have a good squad for L2

• Like 7