onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Moore out

18 hours ago, JoeB2 said:

Doing poorly with a bad hand is a good way of putting it. 

You either believe that his relative success at WBA, Doncaster, and Sheff Weds was all a big fluke, or he’s got something about him. 

Again the success at Sheffield wasnt exactly difficult. He seems to do well with sides with money. I’ll base it off how he’s been here. Dire. His tactics suggests he Dosent have a lot about him to be honest.

It’s convenient you haven’t mentioned Huddersfield, his most recent role. Two relegations on his Cv in one season, can’t wait for next season. 

Edited by valiant_593
  • Like 1

Advert

2 hours ago, Trumpingtonvale said:

They’ve won 4, 3 of them in the first 5 games after he left (they’ve not won since Feb) - arguably they got the new manager bounce that we didn’t.

He got relegated with both West Brom and Wednesday (when both in the relegation zone when appointed) was sacked by WBA when in the play offs (with 10 games to go) the following season, was poached by Sheffield when Doncaster were in the playoffs of L1 then got Wednesday to the playoffs in the 2 successive seasons (promotion the second time) following their relegation.  Guess it’s debatable if  play-offs following a relegation is because of improving his squads but he had no transfer windows to avoid relegation and at least 2 transfer windows to achieve play off positions at 3 of his 4 clubs. 

Are his last 8 months a ‘blip’, in what ‘til then has been a relatively successful 6 year managerial career, or are they a sign of things to come? No one knows but I’m happy to be patient enough and give him at least one transfer window to find out, whichever league we’re in.

UTV

He went to West Brom in the Premiership struggling in the relegation zone who had quite a low budget for the division and failed to keep them up.

Next season they had one of the biggest budgets in the Championship and was sacked with them in 4th place after a bad run.

He then went to Doncaster Rovers who had a bigger than average budget for Division 1 and got them to 9th place in their first season and left for Wednesday in his second season when pushing for promotion/ play offs

Wednesday were in the relegation zone when he went there, similar position to the Vale when he came to us, he failed to keep them up.

Next season, he took them to the play offs and ended up getting promotion, but it has to be mentioned they had by far the biggest budget in division 1 that season.

I don’t know why he left Wednesday, some reports says he was sacked, some that he left.

Then he went to Huddersfield who have one of the lower budgets in the Championship and had a disastrous season been sacked with them well in the relegation zone.

I wouldn’t say he’s been hugely successful every where he has been with his only noticeable success was getting Wednesday promoted. But, I think it’s fair to say he has done a lot better with clubs with larger than average budgets and not so with clubs like ourselves with lower budgets. I also think by looking at his track record that he was the wrong appointment if we were looking to avoid relegation this season.

Lets hope with some money behind him next season, himself and our recruitment team can rebuild and he does a Sheffield Wednesday with us.

• Like 1

I think it also has to be mentioned bar West Brom how badly the clubs have performed after he has left, which doesn’t mean he has left them in a great position.

West Brom got promoter the following season finishing 2nd

Doncaster finished 14th the season he left and got relegated the season after

Sheffield Wednesday have struggled all season and may go down

Huddersfield have picked up since he has gone but may well go down.

Could be argued that it’s because they miss him or because he has damaged them but all of the clubs have had significant seasons straight away after his departure.

• Like 1

Well it looks like he gets the very rare accolade of getting two clubs relegated in the same season.
From what I've seen so far and with this accolade hanging over him I'm really not full of confidence at all with him.
Shame as with all our managers, I desperately want it to work out for them.
I was excited by his appointment but he has been terrible so far and we are worse atm.
I can't see him having any sort of budget next season as we have so many under contract still.
However he simply has to get some forwards and left and right backs but who will we get? Sicknotes and obscure signings on the cheap of no merit
Carol seems to not listen to anything football so don't hold your breath for anything

Nobody signs a 5 year contract on the cusp of relegation, then leaves or gets sacked if a few months later that very real prospect materialises. This is a long term project Carol and Darren have entered into. He needs at least two windows to start sorting through the mess and making the team his own, and whether people agree or not I think that's the least he'll get.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

I think it also has to be mentioned bar West Brom how badly the clubs have performed after he has left, which doesn’t mean he has left them in a great position.

West Brom got promoter the following season finishing 2nd

Doncaster finished 14th the season he left and got relegated the season after

Sheffield Wednesday have struggled all season and may go down

Huddersfield have picked up since he has gone but may well go down.

Could be argued that it’s because they miss him or because he has damaged them but all of the clubs have had significant seasons straight away after his departure.

It must be because they miss him, in the same way that Walsall, Bristol Rovers and Vale missed Clarke...

Thanks for the summary philpvfc - it looks like we are getting the performance we should have expected given that record.

I hope for better next season but it doesn't look like he is the guy to do what will be required unless Carol can throw a lot of money at the Club for new signings but even then... 

Depressing to say the least.

15 minutes ago, 1 said:

Nobody signs a 5 year contract on the cusp of relegation, then leaves or gets sacked if a few months later that very real prospect materialises. This is a long term project Carol and Darren have entered into. He needs at least two windows to start sorting through the mess and making the team his own, and whether people agree or not I think that's the least he'll get.

I don’t rate him, was very underwhelmed when we signed him and got criticised for questioning a 5.5 year contract. Saying that, I agree, he needs to be given a chance next season, not sure 2 transfer windows, he should be given all the support he can be given but if not in the top half come Christmas he should go- get someone else in and give them some money in January.

5 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

I don’t rate him, was very underwhelmed when we signed him and got criticised for questioning a 5.5 year contract. Saying that, I agree, he needs to be given a chance next season, not sure 2 transfer windows, he should be given all the support he can be given but if not in the top half come Christmas he should go- get someone else in and give them some money in January.

Definitely only one transfer window. We will know by then whether he's the guy for us and we can't risk more failure just to be 'nice'. The Vale needs to find it's ruthless side, from the Owners down.

• Like 1

Definitely only one transfer window. We will know by then whether he's the guy for us and we can't risk more failure just to be 'nice'. The Vale needs to find it's ruthless side, from the Owners down.
Can't say I agree with this, considering how many players are still under contract for next year - Moore can't bring too many in unless we pay off the dross costing yet more valuable funds which could be used to pay for better players.
Add that to the fact we will have been relegated and that in itself may deter players from signing.
Give the guy a full season, and then till the following Christmas, there's no way we will be challenging for a return to league one next year, more likely fighting to maintain our league status.

I wouldn't have appointed Moore personally.  I preferred Derek Adams as he has been successful with small budgets. Not getting Wednesday promoted from this league would have been poor considering their budget. 

I don't think we should sack any manager without 18 months in position.  Football results aren't just down to how good a manager is. There's players at their disposal and frankly luck plays a large part in it. A big part of luck is key players being injury free. First half of the Adams promotion season we were fortunate JMW, Vincent, Morsy, Pope and Neal were largely injury free prior to Christmas.  All 3 Rudge promotions involved key players like Earle, Walker and Beckford having full seasons. Luck in games also evens out of time but often not in a season. 

Although I don't want him sacked it must be said I think he has probably done worse than Crosby would with the players available.  I believe his win %age is significantly below Crosby, Brown, Sinnott, Buttler and even Dean Glover. He's certainly not a miracle worker but we will see how he does next season with a preseason to set his own mark on things.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Again the success at Sheffield wasnt exactly difficult. He seems to do well with sides with money. I’ll base it off how he’s been here. Dire. His tactics suggests he Dosent have a lot about him to be honest.

It’s convenient you haven’t mentioned Huddersfield, his most recent role. Two relegations on his Cv in one season, can’t wait for next season. 

Describing a 96 point season as ‘not exactly difficult’ is just twisting a situation to suit the position you hold. There’s a load of clubs with big budgets who don’t put up anywhere near that. It was impressive. 

You’ve settled on Moore being bad after 15 games, inheriting a side you’ve also described as one of worst in Vale history who some have said are on course for back to back relegation battles.

I’m not exactly happy with how he’s done but he will rightly get the summer.

• Like 1

You can’t hold the view that this squad of players is the worst ever and would struggle in League 2, and also demand a manager is sacked for doing poorly with them after 15 games.

You can say Moore has underperformed with this group of players, and want him to be removed, but the reality is that most fans view this as a relegation squad and he’s getting relegated with them. 

Othwrs are correct in saying he struggles as a small fish and does well as a big fish - his record post-relegation is pretty solid with a consistent record of being in the playoffs, so let’s hope that trend continues.

Be honest we are not going down because of DM we are going down because we deserve to the players are nowhere near good enough. 2-0 up at half time and people actually think that we threw it away because of something DM said at half time? Lets get real we lost it because we conceded a sloppy goal and then our fragile weak minded players panicked and went to pieces like they always do. There was nobody on the bench who would have made the slightest difference subs haven't made a difference in any game, we go behind we lose its been an issue all season.

• Like 2