onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

James Wilson - out for the season

Doha

Advert

He has been on the field in the league for 1569 minutes which across the 41 games works out at an average of 38 minutes, it's a definite no to any kind of contract for me, we are going to struggle to get rid of Loft, we can't go into a season with Loft and Wilson again.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, janabbotts said:

Plus does not necessarily need to be on the field for 90 minutes, lots of players aren't! You will not dissuade me from my opinion anyway 

It’s worth remembering we released Willo and, from the outside at least, appear to have only re-signed him after failing to sign our other targets.  I’d rather him than Loft but rather not keep him and Loft…..unless we sign an additional 3 strikers on top.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, valefan79 said:

He's completed the 90 minutes 5 times this season.

While I agree Willo has got an appalling injury record, I don't know why people keep using the '90 minutes' argument to beat him with. With the introduction of 5 substitutes, not many attackers play 90 mins anymore, as managers like to keep the energy high in those areas. How many 90 mins as a player like Chizzy completed? I'd genuinely be surprised if it's more than 10.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mellor! said:

While I agree Willo has got an appalling injury record, I don't know why people keep using the '90 minutes' argument to beat him with. With the introduction of 5 substitutes, not many attackers play 90 mins anymore, as managers like to keep the energy high in those areas. How many 90 mins as a player like Chizzy completed? I'd genuinely be surprised if it's more than 10.

It's not 90 minutes completed. Its all about how many minutes in total he's played which equates too that he's played less than 18 worth of games.

How many minutes Chizzy played this season?

19 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

It’s worth remembering we released Willo and, from the outside at least, appear to have only re-signed him after failing to sign our other targets.  I’d rather him than Loft but rather not keep him and Loft…..unless we sign an additional 3 strikers on top.

We didnt release Willo did we? We offered terms and they couldn't be agreed so he left.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

We didnt release Willo did we? We offered terms and they couldn't be agreed so he left.

Yes, come to think of it, you’re right.  Fair to say though that it did seem a bit of a panic move when we re-signed him.

For what its worth, if we go down I keep Wilson as he is a very good L2 striker, in L1 I would as a third or fourth choice but thats dependent on having better striker options, I wouldn't want him as our best striker option which is the case currently.

• Haha 1

Wilson has been injured too often and not scored enough goals for a regularly selected forward in 2023/24. Although his overall distance run is good enough when playing, I think he plays within himself to avoid muscle injuries. Hence I can't remember him getting in behind defences. He's usually dribbling at a reasonably organised defence. He also isn't threatening enough from set pieces. 

If he was the creative forward with skill in amongst the other three who score regularly. Then fair enough. But he is part of the problem when none of them score regularly. Dipepe to replace him next season. 

Edited by Warren

I was very against resigning him this summer, and got absolutely hammered on here.

However, I wouldn't be against resigning him if we're in L2 next season, so long as he's like a 4th choice option and a low wage + high appearance fee to de-risk any lengthy spells out.

• Confused 1