onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

League 2 preparation

So it’s time to start preparing for next season in League 2.

Plant, Dipepa, Shorrock, Lomax and Walters (?) will develop more quickly, as they could be legitimate starters that are not being bedded in, they are active contributors getting better and better.

Obviously getting ride of players who are not up to it who are under contract will be preferable - but if we can’t do that at least they’ll do less damage and be more useful and productive, which may lead to better confidence.

I strongly think that although Darren has probably made mistakes, he will turn the team around with his own players gradually being recruited and the trash removed over time. Both he and Carol must have known his first full season could have realistically been in league 2, and now that’s the case he’ll have a rebuild that makes the fans feel comfortable again. I think he can do it and we can’t judge based on what he’s trying to do with the current team. I hope he doesn’t walk.

Obviously the fans and the club will be caught in a divisive stand off until Flitcroft is gone. That will never ever change and Carol seems happy for that to be the case. That is a bigger stumbling block than any other, as the toxic atmosphere and the failed recruitment both stem from that role. Fail to sort that and we cannot rebuild fully, properly or durably.

Apart from that, we need / need to:

Retain key players: Ensure that crucial players remain with the club to maintain team cohesion and talent. Garrity, Chislett, Clark, Ripley will be cheat codes in L2.

Strengthen squad balance: Acquire new players that don’t use this ‘utility’ model. Just get players who play where they are supposed to play, and others to cover that same position. Simple.

Review coaching staff: Assess the coaching team and consider changes if necessary to improve tactics and player development. The injuries, tactics and inability to change have been terrible for years and it needs to be addressed.

Financial stability: Manage finances carefully to avoid further setbacks and ensure the club's long-term sustainability.

Engage with supporters: Maintain positive communication with fans to boost morale and retain support during challenging times especially.

Stop improving facilities: Nobody cares about new training facilities and stadium infrastructure if the results are not shown on the pitch.

Develop a clear short term strategy: Define short-term goals for the club and implement a coherent plan to achieve them. Long term plans mean nothing. We can have a general vision, but talking about the Championship at the bottom of L1 is somewhere between criminally ignorant and laughable.

Foster a winning mentality: Instil confidence and determination within the team to strive for success and bounce back from relegation. This team has no character, few big personalities and no meanness. I don’t care about them being mates, I want them to win as a team and sometimes you need to embrace the dark arts to achieve that.

Edited by 1
  • Like 8

Advert

Basically do not allow David Flitcroft anywhere near player recruitment or dictating the football philosophy of the club. I’m assuming Carol will not sack the guy.  Let him look after the kids, training facilities and any other stuff, and sink a few pints on match days in hospitality, which seems to be the norm.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

I wonder what NLV, B&G, SC etc. feel about a peaceful protest asking for flitcroft to be removed - taking place before the next home game.

Edited by 1
  • Like 4

59 minutes ago, 1 said:

So it’s time to start preparing for next season in League 2.

Plant, Dipepa, Shorrock, Lomax and Walters (?) will develop more quickly, as they could be legitimate starters that are not being bedded in, they are active contributors getting better and better.

Obviously getting ride of players who are not up to it who are under contract will be preferable - but if we can’t do that at least they’ll do less damage and be more useful and productive, which may lead to better confidence.

I strongly think that although Darren has probably made mistakes, he will turn the team around with his own players gradually being recruited and the trash removed over time. Both he and Carol must have known his first full season could have realistically been in league 2, and now that’s the case he’ll have a rebuild that makes the fans feel comfortable again. I think he can do it and we can’t judge based on what he’s trying to do with the current team. I hope he doesn’t walk.

Obviously the fans and the club will be caught in a divisive stand off until Flitcroft is gone. That will never ever change and Carol seems happy for that to be the case. That is a bigger stumbling block than any other, as the toxic atmosphere and the failed recruitment both stem from that role. Fail to sort that and we cannot rebuild fully, properly or durably.

Apart from that, we need / need to:

Retain key players: Ensure that crucial players remain with the club to maintain team cohesion and talent. Garrity, Chislett, Clark, Ripley will be cheat codes in L2.

Strengthen squad balance: Acquire new players that don’t use this ‘utility’ model. Just get players who play where they are supposed to play, and others to cover that same position. Simple.

Review coaching staff: Assess the coaching team and consider changes if necessary to improve tactics and player development. The injuries, tactics and inability to change have been terrible for years and it needs to be addressed.

Financial stability: Manage finances carefully to avoid further setbacks and ensure the club's long-term sustainability.

Engage with supporters: Maintain positive communication with fans to boost morale and retain support during challenging times especially.

Stop improving facilities: Nobody cares about new training facilities and stadium infrastructure if the results are not shown on the pitch.

Develop a clear short term strategy: Define short-term goals for the club and implement a coherent plan to achieve them. Long term plans mean nothing. We can have a general vision, but talking about the Championship at the bottom of L1 is somewhere between criminally ignorant and laughable.

Foster a winning mentality: Instil confidence and determination within the team to strive for success and bounce back from relegation. This team has no character, few big personalities and no meanness. I don’t care about them being mates, I want them to win as a team and sometimes you need to embrace the dark arts to achieve that.

Yeah all of that really. You fancy being out new director of football?

• Haha 1

I wouldn’t let Flitcroft near the rebuild of the paddock bogs let alone a rebuild of the squad for next season.

Sadly we are lumbered with a significant number of this lot for another year thanks to him. Given that state of affairs the first priority next season will be staying in the Football League.

• Like 6

Any prep which involves DF will result in failure. Unfortunately now we have a useless manager on a 5.5 year contract as well. Basically Carol has to pay a lot of money out to clear contracts that should never have been there in the first place.

11 minutes ago, Valiant62 said:

I don't know what the contract situations are but I'd keep Ripley, Garrity and Chislett + our own youngsters and transfer list the rest. Maybe keep Wilson on a cheapo pay as you play style deal.

Uche, Wilson and Massey are out of contract in the summer. The rest have to be made into good League Two players or moved on, somehow.

The positive is though that Ripley, Garrity and Chislett are tied down for another year.