onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Crosby In

andy jones

Advert

11 hours ago, blackdog said:

I understand that the club needs to be sustainable and one way to go about that is to bring your own players through or pick up young players like Debra and sell them on, I get it.

What I'm struggling with is this, we have to play in a certain way to attract Premiership loans, I'm sorry but that should not be at the cost of our results, at the end of the day it must and should be a mixture of the two, our own identity and the way we are trying to play (Unsuccessfully) at home.

The core business is winning football games and it has been pointed out 2023 has been a disaster, questions quite rightly are being asked. P15 W2 is not acceptable and Crosby has to find a way to win games of football at home especially and maybe tell the hierarchy it's my job on the line and I will play the way I want.

Or maybe his job is safe regardless as long as the "Culture" is preserved and relegation might be a price Carol is prepared to pay.

We've had Premier loans prior to this new Port Vale way. Albeit not very good ones.

I am sure Premier teams are as interested in minutes in legs and playing full time competitive football is as high up on their agenda as to whether Vale or whoever play the ' right way ' .

Builds character as a person dropping down the leagues that should be as much in the mindset as Vale trying to be Holland 74. 

1 hour ago, smithie said:

Interesting, I'm assuming those are all League games. 

Yes, all league.

Cups this calendar year: Played 13, won 5, drawn 5, lost 3. I've included the 3 draws that went to penalty shootouts as draws in there, against Crewe and Newcastle U21s which were "wins" and against Stevenage which was a "loss". Otherwise its won 7, drawn 2, lost 4.

Of those 13, 6 were against League 2 or U21 opposition, 6 were against League 1 opposition, and 1 was against Championship opposition. 

Brings our overall, in all competitions record in 2023 as:

Played 57

Won 15

Drawn 15

Lost 27

A win percentage of 26%, which is shocking, and fan dissent has been incredibly restrained. Even if you take leaps and consider the penalty shootout wins as "won" games, our win% this calendar year is 30%. 

Edited by JoeB2
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, JoeB2 said:

Yes, all league.

Cups this calendar year: Played 13, won 5, drawn 5, lost 3. I've included the 3 draws that went to penalty shootouts as draws in there, against Crewe and Newcastle U21s which were "wins" and against Stevenage which was a "loss". Otherwise its won 7, drawn 2, lost 4.

Of those 13, 6 were against League 2 or U21 opposition, 6 were against League 1 opposition, and 1 was against Championship opposition. 

Brings our overall, in all competitions record in 2023 as:

Played 57

Won 15

Drawn 15

Lost 27

A win percentage of 26%, which is shocking, and fan dissent has been incredibly restrained. Even if you take leaps and consider the penalty shootout wins as "won" games, our win% this calendar year is 30%. 

The played 57 is interesting.  

As someone who, like many on here, is finding the 'Vale Way' of messing around with it at the back with tippy tappy football hard work to watch, it may seem strange I am calling Crosby in.
The reason I am is ...
Carol has stated the club must become self-supporting financially.
So our whole playing structure from Academy to first team is being taught to play to the playing style befitting the modern day Championship and higher.
It is also proving to be a very successful conduit with probably the best set of Academy lads breaking through to the first team since the Stan Mathew's years. 
Crosby is seen by the club as an excellent coach who is unafraid of putting youngsters into the first team.
We are one win off being mid-table which would be in most fans eyes ... progress. Particularly with the number of youngsters coming through from the Academy.
As the club say ... we are not the finished article. But I think we have started along the road of becoming a successful club that not only finances itself but whose league position improves year on year.
That's why I think Carol will stand firm and not be moved by current results at Vale Park. 
The majority of clubs of set up this way nowadays bringing in a new Head coach or manager wouldn't be an issue. The problem with Crosby is clearly motivation and in game management how long do the players keep listening to the same message when it's not working the players confidence is clearly shattering.

20 hours ago, JoeB2 said:

Quite the change from the chat we had in the Bulls Head before Wigan, 

I certainly aren't endorsing him, although I am sure i would love it if he proved me wrong,

I started the thread because there has to be a reason why he is still in the job.

The only reason i can come up with is that Carol and Flitcroft are thinking longer term than the results since the first international break.

Hence the continuing, no Plan B 'Vale Way' is not based on the match in hand it's all part of a bigger picture to bring youngsters through fully trained in a style of football that befits the modern day Championship and Prem teams.

Unfortunately, IMHO a number of the senior players do not have the confidence or ability to play that system well.

But sticking to, and implementing, the bigger picture is what Flitcroft and Carol are doing and they believe Crosby is the right man for the job. I think they are loath to change the structure or personnel unless the trap-door beckons.

They may well be proven right in the long run. I hope so.