onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Macedonia vs England

Biddulph_PV

I didn’t even realise this was on so have watched 10 mins from 68th minute. It’s the most turgid, uninspiring 10 mins of football I can remember for a good while, literally passing for passings sake. And the worst thing is, this is exactly how we play…sideways, backwards, forward then sideways and finally backwards, not wanting to give the ball away but achieving very little. And the refereeing is absolutely atrocious. If this is what football is becoming then count me out.

Advert

I have to say that was the worst refereeing display I have seen for an International match for many years. How the hell was that a penalty? And how the hell was the Maguire foul not a penalty? Countless other pathetic decisions and what were VAR doing on both those calls?. 

He should never ref another international match.

3 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I didn’t even realise this was on so have watched 10 mins from 68th minute. It’s the most turgid, uninspiring 10 mins of football I can remember for a good while, literally passing for passings sake. And the worst thing is, this is exactly how we play…sideways, backwards, forward then sideways and finally backwards, not wanting to give the ball away but achieving very little. And the refereeing is absolutely atrocious. If this is what football is becoming then count me out.

I have been saying this about England since the Croatia semi final. Southgate should have been sacked after that dire performance. Been saying it about Vale since the Northampton win. Toothless, turgid, uninspiring, boring.

England players have scored 1 goal in 2 matches against North Macedonia and Malta. These 2 games had no meaning to them but surely we could play some attacking football and try something a little bit more entertaining. Southgate played quite a few second choice players but still keeps referring back to Maguire, Henderson and Trippier, all good players on their day but they ain’t the best now and will be expired come the Euros. Play players who are our future and will gain experience, good to see Lewis make his debut, I don’t think he is the ready article yet but players like him will gain a lot more experience than the 3 I have just mentioned. Trouble is, take away Kane, Foden, Bellingham and I’d say Walker from our team then we aren’t much better than the likes of North Macedonia.

Southgate should have been sacked after after the 4 nil home loss to Hungary or after we lost to France in the world cup last year. These 2 last performances against Malta and north Macedonia and the 1 nil friendly win against Australia were all poor performances but we won 2 and drew the other so nothing will get said of it.

You should be thankful I watched it all. I wanted to switch off at half-time but the other half said it would be better 2nd half. Stupid fool me did I only listen to her because she says I have to.

The games against Malta and North Macedonia just show how important Jude Bellingham is to this team, and just how important having a quality midfield play maker is, particularly at International level. Bellingham has to stay fit for the Euros and WC as without him we are clueless.

Southgate's management style and team reflects his seemingly flair less, safe and boring personality. Even when England play the lower ranked nations he tends to play with 4 defenders and 2 defensive midfield player as outfield players, play either Rice or Phillips but please not both of them. 

There seems to be no pattern or method of play and what was seen against Malta and N Macedonia was just turgid, directionless rubbish.

There are two things that can prevent England doing very well in the Euros and WC, Bellingham being injured and/or Southgate's negativity.

Southgate should have gone after the Croatia defeat.

On 20/11/2023 at 21:29, Biddulph_PV said:

I AGREE - This England Manager, Southgate Is USELESS - Get him OUT ! - he sets the style of play - If I was Manager I would Play " - 2 - 3 - 5 that I used to watch, the exciting attacking play of Norman Low & Gordon Lee - Which Was Two Dedicated FULL BACKS (NOT Wing Backs !) - A 'Stopper' Centre Half, flanked by a Right Half & a Left Half ( NOT Midfielders !) And FIVE Forwards, Two FAST Wingers - Right & Left. A Tall Centre Forward, a Great Header of the Ball (such as Jack Wilkinson) flanked by two Goal scoring  inside Forwards ! - THIS England Team, they pass slowly to the half-way line SOMETIMES venture over it ! BUT mostly pass Sideways and Back, OFTEN back to their Goalkeeper ! who starts the slow passing again ! RUBBISH! !

Archived