onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Touching the match ball....

Gungho_ED

12 minutes ago, prof said:

I've been going since the start of the 1957-58 season (but not to so many grounds) and the ball has never been anywhere near me. I was once at Fenway Park and the baseball landed in the row behind me.

Well that knocks me out the park. I shall keep hoping that one day I may touch the ball but it will have to be an away ground now I sit at the back of the Railway Stand (I shall omit the obvious joke).

Advert

I saw my first league game at St James Park in 1961. Since then I’ve been to over a hundred league grounds what with all the clubs that have left the league and the new ones that have come in. I only recall touching the ball once. It was a pre- season friendly at Kidsgrove and I was in the front row of the seats. The ball came straight at at me and I put out my hands to palm it away. I was severely criticised by those around me for not catching it. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Warren said:

I've headed a match ball. But it was at Tranmere's Prenton Park. Accurate too. 

But this is the point. Johnny King stand. Very close to the pitch. 

Tranmere is my second team after living on the Wirral for nearly 37 years. 

You never mention it though....

• Like 2

I remember on the old lorne street as a young lad sitting on bar with my father behind me and Reg Potts cleared the ball and it hit me in the chest and knocked me backwards luckily my father caught me.Then years later went Torquay just standing watching the vale warm up and Taylor another left back hit this ball and hit me straight in the face at least i got his shirt after the match for my grandson.I only hope if it comes in three's the next time it will be a Gavin Massey shot cause i know that will not hurt.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Warren said:

I've headed a match ball. But it was at Tranmere's Prenton Park. Accurate too. 

But this is the point. Johnny King stand. Very close to the pitch. 

Tranmere is my second team after living on the Wirral for nearly 37 years. 

Wow wow wow!

You have done the ultimate crowd touch and headed it back!?!?

That's like locking your coat hanger in the car but having your keys on you.

Outstanding Private Pile

26 minutes ago, Gungho_ED said:

Wow wow wow!

You have done the ultimate crowd touch and headed it back!?!?

That's like locking your coat hanger in the car but having your keys on you.

Outstanding Private Pile

My best effort at Port Vale was a clean two handed catch of an incoming ball. Then an accurate throw back to our player to get on with the game qyickly as we approached the last few minutes. I proud of that one because some of the crowd thought I'd done well. 

14 hours ago, prof said:

I've been going since the start of the 1957-58 season (but not to so many grounds) and the ball has never been anywhere near me. I was once at Fenway Park and the baseball landed in the row behind me.

66 years...when the Beatles released Sgt Pepper.

That's got to be a record 

I was at the old wembley stadium to watch England V Brazil in the 90s, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos and the likes. the ball came straight at me, unfortunately I was in the cheap seats at the front with no back on them and as I reached up to catch the ball I fell backwards into the row behind and got a big cheer from a packed stadium.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...