onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January Transfers and Rumours

werstayinup

12 minutes ago, MBE said:

See above mate. It’s not right. We can’t pick and choose to apply a law because it suits us to.

Not picking and choosing. His punishment is to do with him clearly looking to be violent against the ref, just as some of those at the Swindon game were given harsh individual punishments for violence on the pitch then.

There was no violence at the Reading protest, the majority of the Vale pitch invaders for the Swindon game were non-violent. They didn't get harsh penalties as a result.

That is the differential factor I think - it's not a black and white same ban for anyone treading on the turf, just the same as it's not the same ban for every foul tackle in the game - some get greater punishments than others. 

It's people taking it to extremes, fighting other fans, trying to attack the referee who get harsher penalties than those simply coming onto the pitch.

I fear I've taken this off topic far too much. I've made my point, some will doubtless disagree but I'll shut up now.

• Like 4

Advert

11 minutes ago, robf said:

No, I think what some of us are saying is the level of punishment depends on what you do when you enter the pitch.

Reading fans enter the pitch to protest. No violence ensues but game is disrupted - club is given a warning of points deduction if it happens again.

Vale fans enter the pitch (in the main) to celebrate a win over Swindon. Like Reading, the club is also warned.

Some individuals that night (who were threatening violence) were identified and had individual punishments. It was people from both clubs if I remember rightly who were picked up off CCTV.

This latest incident hasn't received punishment yet. The club is suspending him until the police report. I suspect the police report will weigh up if he was threatening violence and an appropriate punishment dished out. It ISN'T a lifetime ban yet because the decision hasn't been reached yet. 

100% disagree. It’s still a criminal offence regardless of motivation. 

I also don’t agree he was going to be violent, whats  more concerning is the ease which he entered the pitch. Pitch invaders could be carrying anything and it’s a real safety issue.

Anyway sorry transfer rumours…….

Edited by MBE
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, mellenium said:

Port Vale were fined £15,000 for that invasion and will probably be fined again for the latest infringement. Funds that could go towards players, whatever is right or wrong the facts remain Reading  F.C. and supporters have gone unpunished for their invasion and the people who have been penalised our the Vale supporters who went to Reading and Vale supporters who paid for ifollow for the game.

Sorry, I'm already breaking my own rule here in coming back onto the thread... 

In the press articles on that fine, Vale received it because among the pitch invasion there was violence, missiles thrown etc. That's referenced as part of the reason for the fine. FA quote - "Port Vale FC admitted failing to (prevent its fans) using threatening and violent behaviour whilst encroaching onto the pitch area..."

I presume the Reading verdict was lesser because there wasn't any violence. Yes, it was disruptive and annoying but not violent and I think that's the difference.

As I've said earlier, I think it's odd to fine clubs for individual actions anyhow - personally I think only the people who are found to have been violent should be fined and not the club.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, MBE said:

100% disagree. It’s still a criminal offence regardless of motivation. 

I also don’t agree he was going to be violent, whats  more concerning is the ease which he entered the pitch. Pitch invaders could be carrying anything and it’s a real safety issue.

Anyway sorry transfer rumours…….

You lost any credibility when you say he wasn't going to be violent. What do you think he was going to do, ask the referee for his autograph?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mbycars said:

You lost any credibility when you say he wasn't going to be violent. What do you think he was going to do, ask the referee for his autograph?

You can't possibly have any idea what he was going to do. 

You lost any credibility when you say he wasn't going to be violent.

You've decided an imaginary outcome there based on a series of events that didn't actually happen.

Edited by Doha
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Doha said:

You can't possibly have any idea what he was going to do. 

You've decided an imaginary outcome there based on a series of events that didn't actually happen.

Nope i'm 100% sure i saw him chase the referee across the pitch. If he only wanted to remonstrate with him he could have done that from the stand. I have every sympathy with him. The ref was totally clueless and i was incensed as everyone else. You can't do what that supporter did though and not get punished no matter how much we all disagree with the refs decisions that day.

• Like 5

This thread is getting very Talking Heads to me….according to some, we’re on the Road to Nowhere and they are telling everyone to Stop Making Sense, while for others we are Burning Down the House…..
Personally I think we should sign a Psycho Killer in this transfer window, and achieve a Once in a Lifetime ambition to get promoted…..
right now though, it’s more like Life During Wartime and we’re all being Cross Eyed and Painless……I’ll get my oversized suit on the way out…….
Excellent..
Love Talking Heads
  • Like 1