onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Reading (H) match thread Sat Aug 12th

Osh

29 minutes ago, Emile said:

Some excellent performances from Arblaster, Thomas, Chislet, Ripley and Mitch Clarke looked lively off the bench. Great to see so many of the new faces shining brightly 

true, thought big Yak had a decent game as well. Looks a right fighter & character just what we need in the back line. Massey had a good impact off the bench as well. Definitely have some good players it's just getting them to gel & trying to build some consistency now 👍🏻 

Advert

2 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Wasn't able to go as I'm on holiday. 

Can anyone enlighten me what the first half was like please?  👍

I'd say in the first half we were possibly slightly submissive, acquiescent one might say, a bit unresisting to the Reading team. Yes, I believe we were too yielding and unassertive, certainly non-resistant and rather compliant I dare say. The words complaisant, pliant and resigned have been used. Dear Mr Crosby did say words to the effect that the boys were too obedient to Mr Carol and his men, too docile and far too tractable, some might even say malleable or pliable. Meek? Indeed that is one word for it, other words would be: subduedpreferential, forbearing. Some long-suffering supporters said we were too patient and lamblike. Non-violent would describe our first half performance, just slightly supine and frankly non-aggressive and resistless. We were not poor though, and don't let any tosser tell you otherwise.

On 06/08/2023 at 15:32, geoff1 said:

Well I was shocked we didn't get 4 in the second half,a few hrs needed practicing hitting the owd onion bag this week,great weekend seeing my family,a good few beers were supped on Friday night and an all day sesh on  Saturday,my head is still recovering...roll on Carlisle I get to do it all again 😁👌🍺🍺🥃🥃

11 hours ago, philmpv said:

675 posts on this thread and about 375 of them are from Valiiant banging on incessantly about that first half. Give it a rest now man. You've made your view clear, we get it.

Some clearly don't, but it's old news now. Looking forward to tomorrow's game 😊

2 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Wasn't able to go as I'm on holiday. 

Can anyone enlighten me what the first half was like please?  👍

Be happy to. We were crap for half an hour. Zero shots on goal and one off target. Passive. Timid. Scared. Call it what you like. We treated Reading as if they were the best side we've seen at Vale Park for years. Once our players recognised that actually they were ordinary and started to play a bit of football, we were by far the better team. 

Some fans have deluded themselves into thinking that the tepid first half was all part of some sort of fantastic game plan. The same ones that probably believe in Bigfoot.

1 minute ago, Valiiant said:

Be happy to. We were crap for half an hour. Zero shots on goal and one off target. Passive. Timid. Scared. Call it what you like. We treated Reading as if they were the best side we've seen at Vale Park for years. Once our players recognised that actually they were ordinary and started to play a bit of football, we were by far the better team. 

Some fans have deluded themselves into thinking that it was all part of some sort of fantastic game plan. The same ones that probably believe in Bigfoot.

he's taking the piss mate

14 hours ago, Guppys left peg said:

Let’s be honest if we had come flying out the traps and been caught on the break we all know what would be said then. What really happened is yes it was a slow start, we’d had a change of formation which may have taken a little getting used to so were tentative for that reason then once we had a grip of everything including what we were up against we stepped things up. A well managed 90 minutes I’d say.

Overall I don't have a problem with the result or performance. Just think we gave them too much respect for a while and better sides would have taken full advantage of that. I just want us to come out of that blocks a bit quicker at home, you don't have to be reckless to do that.

21 minutes ago, Valiiant said:

Some fans have deluded themselves into thinking that the tepid first half was all part of some sort of fantastic game plan. The same ones that probably believe in Bigfoot.

How many shots did reading have on target ? 

10 minutes ago, WV said:

How many shots did reading have on target ? 

I've already said that they were poor on the day, considering they were in the league above. Credit to us if we made them look that way. It's just my opinion that we could have taken the game to them much sooner than we did. The first 30 minutes were terrible, in my opinion. The last 5 minutes or so of the first half we started to do something and then the whole of the second half we were excellent. It's just my view that the second half played out the way it did because we stopped giving them too much respect and really got after them.

Maybe I made too much of a thing of the first half performance. Ultimately we did pretty well in the end which is what matters the most.

If you get battered 7-0 in your previous league game, facing a side just relegated with some big names then its surely sensible to initially set up to be hard to breach first and foremost and build from there.

We then obviously got through that opening stage, once we figured them out and what they offered we were able to build on going forward which looking at the stats after half an hour we clearly did very well.

Seems good tactical play to me.

Archived