onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Feeling Very Optimistic

Luton Town, small town, and we cannot compete? 10,000 crowds needed at Vale to compete? Utter nonsense. Cleverness and guille is needed, it wont be easy but it is do-able.
We have every need to be optimistic.
We are cutting the deadwood, started with cutting the manager who couldn't be arsed anymore for a bloke who is more passionate and gets more out of the players. 
Next, cut the underperforming out of contract guff and it frees up the budget for better things ahead.
It could be worse, we could have John Askey as manger, hahaha, those who berated me for saying 'Hartlepool are now nailed on for relegation."
100% behind Flickers and Crosby.
To be fair, 'Pool were a very good shout to go down. If they keep Askey he could also bring them back up. We'll see.

But you make a very good point about Luton. Small town, small stadium bit presumably well managed, from the top down. Could say the same about Bournemouth, whom I remember the Vale tanking 4-1 in late 2006.

So if they can do it, so can the Vale!

Advert

17 hours ago, NorthwoodValiant said:

There are some people who genuinely believe Carol is a bad owner because she isn't spending more money.

Carol is a very wealthy lady and a very successful businessperson, but she isn't FOOTBALL rich.

Even someone like Robbie Williams isn't football rich, and he's 10x richer than Carol

18 hours ago, Valiiant said:

Most of us were demanding an overhaul a few weeks ago and we're now getting one. It's very sad to see Worrall go, he's been a wonderful player for us, but I don't think he has it in him now to perform every week at League One level. If we want to move on as a League One club we need better, or certainly younger.

An overhaul usually means getting rid of your poorer underperforming players and keeping your better players not the other way round. Your assumption that Worrall doesn't have it in him to perform at League One level anymore is just that, an assumption. I've seen nothing to suggest that he couldn't still do a good job in League One. He is only 32 years old which in footballing terms is not that old as long as you stay fit. As I mentioned in another thread, Sevilla reached the Europa League final last night with a 37 year old, and two 35 year old players in the team. Experience is a valuable commodity in football, as in most walks of life.

Carol is overhauling the club, and is investing year on year.  Look at the work on the stadium and now the pitch.  She has also invested in the team and we have progressed.  She wants us to be sustainable, and I agree with her plans.  She has made some bad decisions, but mostly, she has made very good decisions.

Luton and Coventry show what can be done with good management, signing the right players and team work.

Every close season when old favourites leave there is a huge outcry.  The last time was 2 years ago.  What have Tom Pope, Scott Brown, Luke Joyce, Shaun Brisley done since their release? They have not come anywhere near performing at our standard.  Just before the end of that season we sold Manny Oyeleke, again to popular criticism.  Since then Manny has done what?

Let's see what happens over the summer.

1 minute ago, Essex Vale said:

Carol is overhauling the club, and is investing year on year.  Look at the work on the stadium and now the pitch.  She has also invested in the team and we have progressed.  She wants us to be sustainable, and I agree with her plans.  She has made some bad decisions, but mostly, she has made very good decisions.

Luton and Coventry show what can be done with good management, signing the right players and team work.

Every close season when old favourites leave there is a huge outcry.  The last time was 2 years ago.  What have Tom Pope, Scott Brown, Luke Joyce, Shaun Brisley done since their release? They have not come anywhere near performing at our standard.  Just before the end of that season we sold Manny Oyeleke, again to popular criticism.  Since then Manny has done what?

Let's see what happens over the summer.

Of course there'll (as always) be lots of divergence and differences of opinion especially when it comes to on-pitch matters.  However, we all need to follow your rational and objective example.  Let's all wait to see what summer signings are made, what this does to squad cohesion & suitability and above all, stay calm and let the management team do what it is paid to do--only then can we start to comment sensibly on outcomes.

36 minutes ago, capirex said:

An overhaul usually means getting rid of your poorer underperforming players and keeping your better players not the other way round. Your assumption that Worrall doesn't have it in him to perform at League One level anymore is just that, an assumption. I've seen nothing to suggest that he couldn't still do a good job in League One. He is only 32 years old which in footballing terms is not that old as long as you stay fit. As I mentioned in another thread, Sevilla reached the Europa League final last night with a 37 year old, and two 35 year old players in the team. Experience is a valuable commodity in football, as in most walks of life.

What part of "I don't think he has it in him now to perform every week at League One level" are you not quite understanding?

I never once said he couldn't perform in League One. But he's going to be 33 soon and although a fit player that looks after himself, I didn't see him as someone that's capable of playing week in, week out and performing. Even more so as a wing-back which is where he's been playing. In my eyes he's an average League One player and not someone that is irreplaceable. He'll perhaps be missed in the dressing room more than on the pitch.

1 hour ago, Bycarsbill said:

Of course there'll (as always) be lots of divergence and differences of opinion especially when it comes to on-pitch matters.  However, we all need to follow your rational and objective example.  Let's all wait to see what summer signings are made, what this does to squad cohesion & suitability and above all, stay calm and let the management team do what it is paid to do--only then can we start to comment sensibly on outcomes.

Love the sentiment. Been reading the same thing for years though...not noticed any significant difference.

2 hours ago, capirex said:

I know age is only a number but Worrell's increase by one in 3 weeks. I believe he's gone because we weren't prepared to offer a 2 year deal. I believe he could have done a job next season. Personally I wouldn't have gambled on him still being able to in 24/25. 

1 hour ago, SFBT said:

Love the sentiment. Been reading the same thing for years though...not noticed any significant difference.

Not sure what the "significant differences" are that you expected to see.  all I'm saying, is there's no logical reason for getting depressed just yet.  We need to be patient and wait & see--frustrating as that is. DF is the one that's going to be measured and that, surely, is exactly what his job entails!

On 18/05/2023 at 14:56, MelbourneValiant said:

Luton Town, small town, and we cannot compete? 10,000 crowds needed at Vale to compete? Utter nonsense. Cleverness and guille is needed, it wont be easy but it is do-able.

We have every need to be optimistic.

We are cutting the deadwood, started with cutting the manager who couldn't be arsed anymore for a bloke who is more passionate and gets more out of the players. 

Next, cut the underperforming out of contract guff and it frees up the budget for better things ahead.

It could be worse, we could have John Askey as manger, hahaha, those who berated me for saying 'Hartlepool are now nailed on for relegation." 😄

100% behind Flickers and Crosby.

Brilliant to see a positive thread.Great post.

1 hour ago, Fosse69 said:
1 hour ago, Brian Johnson said:
Or they probably might still be a league club but with a different owner

There is always a queue in Hamil Road.

We have never gone without getting a new owner even if those choices proved to be total <ovf censored> (present owners not included in that statement)

Archived