onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Steve Speed

worldsendvalefan

Advert

I'm not au fait with this idea of people getting testimonials for doing a job they were paid for over many years. I worked for my company for 53 years and didn't get one, spent a good chunk of my salary at the Vale and some of that will have gone to Mr Speed. I have never heard of ground staff at other clubs get one either.

IMHO the answer is no.

4 minutes ago, mbycars said:

I'm not au fait with this idea of people getting testimonials for doing a job they were paid for over many years. I worked for my company for 53 years and didn't get one, spent a good chunk of my salary at the Vale and some of that will have gone to Mr Speed. I have never heard of ground staff at other clubs get one either.

IMHO the answer is no.

Suppose the question is, how many ground staff will have spent 43 years at a football club?

3 minutes ago, mbycars said:

IMHO the answer is no.

Agree with your sentiments, could also level that at players though who would earn triple what Speedy did. Yet that old chestnut ' but it's a short career ' gets wheeled out when they have a Testimonial. 

1 hour ago, NorthwoodValiant said:

Suppose the question is, how many ground staff will have spent 43 years at a football club?

It doesn't really matter how long. He has had 43 years salary paid to him. Like all other employees in the local area who have worked many years for their employer it doesn't warrant a testimonial. Bill Lodey worked for many years, i don't recall any calls for a testimonial when he left /  retired

16 minutes ago, mbycars said:

It doesn't really matter how long. He has had 43 years salary paid to him. Like all other employees in the local area who have worked many years for their employer it doesn't warrant a testimonial. Bill Lodey worked for many years, i don't recall any calls for a testimonial when he left /  retired

I cannot remember if Lol Hamlett had a Gold Watch or not?🙂

3 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Agree with your sentiments, could also level that at players though who would earn triple what Speedy did. Yet that old chestnut ' but it's a short career ' gets wheeled out when they have a Testimonial. 

if they earn triple but also work for a third of the time, isn't that just the same pay overall? 

35 minutes ago, WV said:

if they earn triple but also work for a third of the time, isn't that just the same pay overall? 

No, because they can go off and earn money for the other 2/3rds of their working life doing other things. Plenty of ex-Vale players are teachers, plumbers, etc.

18 hours ago, Valiant62 said:

Whether a full blown testimonial or not, I’d like it to be acknowledged a bit more than it seems to have been.

It’s a strange one.  I can’t say I know anything of the details, other than it’s been made clear this isn’t retirement, for which an employee could normally expect to receive a gift of some sort from their employer.  If I leave my employer that’s my choice, so I wouldn’t expect anything apart from contractual remuneration.  Common sense would suggest there should be something to mark his service, but for all we know that may have already happened upon reaching 40yrs.  Whatever, it was nice to see Speedy there as a fan last Saturday.

Archived