onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

DCs comments on Stoke

Owen Holdcroft

1 hour ago, toyahw said:

Hmmm. You do not know Manchester very well do you.... 

Fair enough. I think I was more mixed up about the precise positioning of Maine Road which is North of Wythenshawe near Whalley Range. I think of Moss Side as fairly close to the university area because my daughter lived there when at university. 

Thinking further I did have a friend who came from Stockport and supported Man City as did all his friends. Stockport is a mixed up place - or was - with quite poor and wealthier parts. My memories are now 40 plus years ago and stuff changes of course. 

The overall issue with Manchester is its incredibly poor transport system. I mainly remember Manchester as truly awful place to work. 

Advert

1 hour ago, Warren said:

Fair enough. I think I was more mixed up about the precise positioning of Maine Road which is North of Wythenshawe near Whalley Range. I think of Moss Side as fairly close to the university area because my daughter lived there when at university. 

Thinking further I did have a friend who came from Stockport and supported Man City as did all his friends. Stockport is a mixed up place - or was - with quite poor and wealthier parts. My memories are now 40 plus years ago and stuff changes of course. 

The overall issue with Manchester is its incredibly poor transport system. I mainly remember Manchester as truly awful place to work. 

Wythenshawe is a sort of sink estate nowhere near Manchester really.  Down near the airport.  Think Oasis might come from there? The Moz and Whalley are pretty close to the University on the south side of town, Maine Rd was Rusholme same area. All South Manchester. Main Rd was Rusholme.  Cool part of town these days.

Stockport is an awful place. Traffic is terrible. The whole place stinks of traffic fumes.  The A6 and the Pyramid junction. The whole place stinks of car fume. 

I had the pleasure to live in the wonderful Chorlton and had some of the happiest days of my live there. Great 

These days it seems somewhat sterile. 

The Etihad is now North Manchester, a rather dull part of town. It is a regeneration project. Credit due. it has improved the place. From a <ovf censored> hole to a crap hole.

Did go to a very good dinner in Droylsden up there the other week.  

Our Caribbean Food Menu (tortugamanchester.co.uk)

Just saying...

On 02/09/2022 at 19:37, Platty&#x27;s Tassels said:

Im not going to lie, I really hate Sjoke. I grew up in the times where we regularly beat them and being from the South of the city we were hugely outnumbered as fans.

I own absolutely no clothing that is red. Just my brain refuses it and I just cant.

Now, I dont agree with the  stokie loan bashing. Im in the camp of give them a chance, just like any player.

Think about it, who would be more pissed off? Vale fans having him, or Sjoke fans after he does really well for us and we close the gap even more. Its a no lose for us.

I’m the same as you mate when we starting beating them in the 90s i was in my last years of teens it was rough then at the Victoria ground we had to stand our ground with them more than once them days are gone now though but nothing red gets bought by me that will never change either, I have a lot of stoke mates but they know how I feel towards there club it’s just banter these days though I really hope under our new owners we can challenge and hopefully embarrass them again in there own back yard 

We hate stoke 

I am in my 60s now. Living away from the area and not driving I come to Vale Park by way of public transport and walking. Sometimes I stay overnight in Hanley after Tuesday games and wander round the city and Newcastle next day. 

To do this I go through, Wirral (safe) Liverpool (safe), Crewe (a junction for many fans), Stoke or Longport stations (care needed), Hanley (care needed). So in warm times, travelling alone, I don't display Port Vale clothing in the care needed places in Summer. I generally, put Port Vale clothing on in Winter. 

Start of last season was interesting when I ended up travelling with Tranmere fans. Of course I know a lot about Tranmere and that's fine. What was not fine was waiting at Stoke Station when a whole train of Stoke fans arrived at the station. Clearly that was a dangerous situation and it was important to remain anonymous. 

So I haven't got experience of the day to day life in the city. But ever conscious of keeping safe. 

On 10/09/2022 at 02:32, toyahw said:

Wythenshawe is a sort of sink estate nowhere near Manchester really.  Down near the airport.  Think Oasis might come from there? The Moz and Whalley are pretty close to the University on the south side of town, Maine Rd was Rusholme same area. All South Manchester. Main Rd was Rusholme.  Cool part of town these days.

Stockport is an awful place. Traffic is terrible. The whole place stinks of traffic fumes.  The A6 and the Pyramid junction. The whole place stinks of car fume. 

I had the pleasure to live in the wonderful Chorlton and had some of the happiest days of my live there. Great 

These days it seems somewhat sterile. 

The Etihad is now North Manchester, a rather dull part of town. It is a regeneration project. Credit due. it has improved the place. From a <ovf censored> hole to a crap hole.

Did go to a very good dinner in Droylsden up there the other week.  

Our Caribbean Food Menu (tortugamanchester.co.uk)

Just saying...

Just mentioning that Oasis come from Burnage👍

Have been a Vale fan since early sixties ,my dad and his dad Vale fans before me , I never really hated Stoke ,as they were a Ist Division mid table team ,and we were hovering division 3/4. Have been to the Victoria ground only twice when Vale weren’t playing . To see George Best playing for Man Utd reserves v Stoke ,the other time to see my son play in a Sentinel cup final. Began to dislike Stoke and their fans ,when we actually played them in league and cup games over a couple of seasons in the 90s, and that total dislike has stayed with me ever since. They seem to have a hard core base of nasty fans towards Vale ( probably as we do against them ) who cannot take any banter whatsoever ,my brother in law being one of those . So I would just like to say to him ,in banter of course , we hate Stoke ,we hate Stoke , we all ****ing hate Stoke. Up the Vale.

People will probably disagree with this but I think Manchester has really lost it's way. Feels like 'normal' people are being squeezed out and so many of the places that made the city so interesting and, ironically, popular are now redeveloped for the wealthy. There's no affordable housing and the disparity between the wealthy areas and the impoverished ones seems to be widening. I bet in a few years you'll see places like Bury, Rochdale and Oldham getting all spruced up.

21 minutes ago, Aguar61 said:

My oldest kid lives in Levenshulme, wonderful integrated area,real community feel. 

I used to live in Levenshulme and it was horrible. The place is so much nicer now - Stockport's on the up too - and whilst it's out of reach for most renters and first time buyers, it does give me hope that something decent could be done with Burslem.

Just now, mr.hobblesworth said:

People will probably disagree with this but I think Manchester has really lost it's way. Feels like 'normal' people are being squeezed out and so many of the places that made the city so interesting and, ironically, popular are now redeveloped for the wealthy. There's no affordable housing and the disparity between the wealthy areas and the impoverished ones seems to be widening. I bet in a few years you'll see places like Bury, Rochdale and Oldham getting all spruced up.

Well yes, normal people are getting squeezed out because it's the place to be, it's very likely those places will get spruced up because of the metrolink giving easy access to the city centre, it's far too expensive to live in central manchester now. 

It's just London on a smaller scale, but London can't be squeezed anymore, it's too expensive for a normal person to live there, so Manchester is the next city to get the treatment, it's fantastic public transport system and central (of the UK) location makes it a prime location, compared to Birmingham it's a million times better and a million times easier to get about

Archived