onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

"I am outraged by the lack of signings"
"Very poor recruitment and preparation for the new season. VERY POOR."

"There's a forum tonight to speak to the owner, director of football and manager. You can address your concerns there. Tickets still available"

"Nah, I'd rather just post about it into an empty internet hole. There's no accountability for what I say there."

Advert

40 minutes ago, AlienTitWrench said:

Last time we went up, we only signed 6 players and one of them was Kaid Mohammed!!

image.png.1c3f5ba92b086662da4c6dcfd4a28925.png

So we kept the nucleus of the previous years squad and finished 9th.

No reason why we cant do that again this year.

We used 37 players that season, no squad limits. 

1 hour ago, Warren said:

He was a League 1 left back for Cheltenham. I like Hussey. He is getting a lot of blame for the games lost at the end of last season and particularly the incident where he fell over v Newport. That was actually part foul and part watering the pitch before kick off and after the players had warmed up creating a slippery surface in the corner. That day he also faced a situation where there were fundamental weaknesses in the midfield available which allowed the opposition to steam right through and onto the defence. Going forward the opposition had worked on stopping Hussey by marking up in the right way to prevent the pass interchanges on the left flank and crosses on the left foot. So he went backwards too much. Finally that was a period when Vale had lost the concept that strikers / forwards must actually get in the box!  This deprived him of targets to cross to. Because he is cautious on the ball he won't cross speculatively and again that caused going backwards. 

So there is a need to reset him and to use him effectively. New season and new start. His game emphasises care on the ball and meticulous passing in squares and triangles. This can be slow but when he gets near the box and worked some space he can put in very effective crosses. He is also obviously good at corners and wide freekicks. He is fit and shows a good turn of pace going backwards in defence. Probably can improve on the last line of defence defending in the box. There is plenty positive to work with at League 1 level. 

Great points about Hussey. As I've said before he just looks like a proper footballer. Not rushed, always in a good position and doesn't get beaten one on one easily. Came into the side at the worst time, including playing out of position against Newport. I expect him to be excellent this season.

Its disappointing how polarised this forum is becoming. people unable to read opinions which aren't the same as theirs. Posters being labelled 'thickheads', dossiers being built up on when people got stuff wrong before which is brought up whenever they post, personal comments about peoples radio comments, people going on 'blocking sprees' of posters who have different views to them. so much anger in a few people!

I don't get at anyone individually just try and put my view across.read my posts, i never get at individuals just try and have a chat about footy in the summer whilst we wait for the season. It interestingly seems to be those 'trust the process' folks who are the most aggressive towards those who have a different view. not sure why they are so obsessed with everyone having the same opinion. Sometimes the argument is dealt with but more often than not the poster personally is attacked. complete inability to engage with a discussion when are argument is different to their own. a sign of social media and a sign of the times!

when i used to have debates in pubs before and after games there would be a clash of opinions but it was just that, opinions about footy, and despite having different views we recognised we were all vale fans!

there's maybe 1 or 2 who come on here to wind up but mostly i think it's just honest Vale fans who pay the same 300 quid for a season ticket who just have a different view. unfortunately this forum seems to be a cartel of about 5-6 very positive posters who spend all day on here and get very aggressive towards those on the most pessimistic side/those who take a different view. they seem to think their enforces for the club, all dissent must be quelled! think i'll go back to just being a viewer of the forum which is how i enjoyed ovf for years. hope everyone has a good season utv

2 hours ago, Warren said:

He was a League 1 left back for Cheltenham. I like Hussey. He is getting a lot of blame for the games lost at the end of last season and particularly the incident where he fell over v Newport. That was actually part foul and part watering the pitch before kick off and after the players had warmed up creating a slippery surface in the corner. That day he also faced a situation where there were fundamental weaknesses in the midfield available which allowed the opposition to steam right through and onto the defence. Going forward the opposition had worked on stopping Hussey by marking up in the right way to prevent the pass interchanges on the left flank and crosses on the left foot. So he went backwards too much. Finally that was a period when Vale had lost the concept that strikers / forwards must actually get in the box!  This deprived him of targets to cross to. Because he is cautious on the ball he won't cross speculatively and again that caused going backwards. 

So there is a need to reset him and to use him effectively. New season and new start. His game emphasises care on the ball and meticulous passing in squares and triangles. This can be slow but when he gets near the box and worked some space he can put in very effective crosses. He is also obviously good at corners and wide freekicks. He is fit and shows a good turn of pace going backwards in defence. Probably can improve on the last line of defence defending in the box. There is plenty positive to work with at League 1 level. 

I thought hussey was average for us. Great delivery when given the chance but not dynamic enough in how we wanted to play with wing backs (he’s 33 so he was never going to be). Also we had no real aerial threat so bombing crosses in was pointless and we never played like that anyway until he came in. That Newport goal was a basic error, tried to to nip in front and slipped when just standing up would have meant they didn’t get in behind. Cheltenham got rid for a reason. I still think we need a better left wing back than either hussey or Benning for league one. 

1 hour ago, Warren said:

To be fair Cheltenham fans did say Hussey struggled with the league one step up and ended up getting replaced with someone hence why he moved back down to league two. 

I have to say though at 33 he looks to be in tremendous shape.

1 hour ago, Warren said:

Fully agree with you Warren. Looking at some of the photos from the trip away he looks like he has put on some more muscle too. He won't get any faster but as a physical presence he could be very useful this coming season.

I feel at times like we have the ficklest of fans. I was rooting for Benning all season, I knew there was a solid player there, Mansfield fans loved him, and there was rumours he had League 1 clubs after him last summer. A lot of fans had written him off, you could even feel it in the ground when he touched the ball, fans were just waiting, felt like they were hoping he would mess up so it could confirm their belief. And then when we needed him Benning stepped up and delivered. Part of it is probably to do with his new fitness regime with DW Fitness but with Gibbo required in the back 3 he was given a chance and he took it and after the final fans would have been disappointed if he hadn't signed a new contract.

I think Hussey is exactly the same but that chance hasn't presented itself for him yet. No patience in this game it seems.

2 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

For an idea of what we are up against the reported fee for Bishop from Accrington to Pompey is 500 grand 

Eye watering sum 

Screenshot_20220722-105318_Chrome.jpg

Not bad for a micky mouse club.... that Disney moolah must be incoming as they are currently upgrading Their stadium and training facilities also.

Just now, Rocky said:

Fully agree with you Warren. Looking at some of the photos from the trip away he looks like he has put on some more muscle too. He won't get any faster but as a physical presence he could be very useful this coming season.

I feel at times like we have the ficklest of fans. I was rooting for Benning all season, I knew there was a solid player there, Mansfield fans loved him, and there was rumours he had League 1 clubs after him last summer. A lot of fans had written him off, you could even feel it in the ground when he touched the ball, fans were just waiting, felt like they were hoping he would mess up so it could confirm their belief. And then when we needed him Benning stepped up and delivered. Part of it is probably to do with his new fitness regime with DW Fitness but with Gibbo required in the back 3 he was given a chance and he took it and after the final fans would have been disappointed if he hadn't signed a new contract.

I think Hussey is exactly the same but that chance hasn't presented itself for him yet. No patience in this game it seems.

My main issue with Hussey is that several times last season he let the ball go out of play when he was given a simple pass near the touchline, as if he wasn't paying attention. Didn't seem to be a fitness issue. 

3 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I thought hussey was average for us. Great delivery when given the chance but not dynamic enough in how we wanted to play with wing backs (he’s 33 so he was never going to be). Also we had no real aerial threat so bombing crosses in was pointless and we never played like that anyway until he came in. That Newport goal was a basic error, tried to to nip in front and slipped when just standing up would have meant they didn’t get in behind. Cheltenham got rid for a reason. I still think we need a better left wing back than either hussey or Benning for league one. 

I come down half way on this. I agree with you that in terms of attacking many times the ball would come to him and because of his lack of pace teams were able to get back into position to see off the danger. That said defensively I thought he did a very good job overall. There was only the Newport game really where you can say it was his side of the pitch that didn’t do what it should have done and if memory serves me right we stuck him in at LCB and he was probably lacking fitness too. Outside of that he was very solid.

Archived