Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

3 hours ago, werstayinup said:

With only a few weeks to go i see players like Agard and Kaikai are still without clubs

Kaikai would be excellent but surely will be League One or potentially even Championship bound, I've seen links with Preston and Huddersfield(only fan site rumours).

Surprised he hasn't got fixed up though as he was more than steady for Blackpool in league one.

Advert:

17 minutes ago, Shropshire_Valiant said:

Kaikai would be excellent but surely will be League One or potentially even Championship bound, I've seen links with Preston and Huddersfield(only fan site rumours).

Surprised he hasn't got fixed up though as he was more than steady for Blackpool in league one.

it would be pretty strange for him to go to an established Championship team, after being released by a newly promoted one. League ones probably a good bet.

16 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

it would be pretty strange for him to go to an established Championship team, after being released by a newly promoted one. League ones probably a good bet.

I'd agree, I was just commenting the only new items if you do a google search on him link him to Preston and Huddersfield and they aren't concrete or even newspaper rumours just fans websites speculating.  I think he's spent a fair chunk of the summer playing/training with Sierra Leone so perhaps hasn't spent much time looking tbh

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LancyTony said:

?????  was talking about the three players mentioned - Lewis Cass / Ryan Johnson and Luca Covolan and how someone in a neutral position said they were / seemed to be good signings - especially the keeper!  I couldn't care less how badly the kids lost at Stafford Rangers!

Agree with that last sentence. i can’t believe anyone would pre-judge the forthcoming season on the opinions of an opposition fan, who watched a Vale team made up of mainly youth  players or trialists.

To use that against the manager isn’t looking at the bigger picture of what pre-season is because they have an agenda with Clarke, which again seems to be based off the opinions of someone else who told them that Clarke wasn’t a good manager. 

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 1

Kaikai gone to Wycombe. Top of League 1 is his level.

I don't think the forward will be a big-money buy. I am still convinced we will primarily play with wing-backs as opposed to wingers.

Edited by Joe B

Advert:

16 out (plus 3 transfer listed players training with the youths) and 12 in

Are we waiting for the 3 transfer listed players to be moved on before we bring in anyone new? Besides perhaps a cheap punt or loanee?

41 minutes ago, Wrex said:

16 out (plus 3 transfer listed players training with the youths) and 12 in

Are we waiting for the 3 transfer listed players to be moved on before we bring in anyone new? Besides perhaps a cheap punt or loanee?

I reckon so, especially in Theo's case since he'll be on a decent wage.

Thinking of those 16, that included a couple of superfluous players covering injuries to Visser and Pope, (wouldn't usually have 3GKs and 5 STs on the payroll) and a couple of lads (DTS, RCG) who were nowhere near the first team.

I think we've consolidated their wages, (and probably some of Whitehead and Burgess' wages on the assumption they'll get fixed up), to bring in better quality in certain positions (LB and CM in particular) in place of the previous quantity.

• Like 1

We still need a little more quality for me, if we want to challenge. Obviously, my opinion might change once we've played more games (speculation is the nature of this thread, after all). Compared to last season I'd say we're:

Goalkeeper - Similar last year

Defence - A little stronger than last year (I worry about Legge having to play too many games)

Midfield - Much stronger than last year (Walker is the signing of the window in my eyes)

Forwards - Similar to last year 

A lot depends on how Wilson goes. Like other posters, I think DC will look for a young striker (I like the look of Bailey as 4/5th striker), but we're low on proven goals. For that reason, I really hope DC doesn't want Wozza at wing back all year. The extra work takes its toll on him and he's out best source of chances.

The sooner we can pack off Whitehead and Robinson, the better.

• Like 7

I think we've got a good core but a fourth striker would be a good move in my view. I guess whether Robinson goes or not will have a big say on what sort of budget we have for that position.

It could be a waiting game. I suspect that as the summer progresses and most players get fixed up then players like Robinson will suddenly become a more attractive option for clubs desperate to add new faces.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Moz said:

Defence - A little stronger than last year (I worry about Legge having to play too many games)

I reckon defence is a lot stronger, particularly on the left-hand side (Johnson > Crooks, Jones > Fitz, Benning >= Monty). Agree re the need for a bit more firepower tho, but think that will come in time as Rob says. All is well.

Advert:

1 hour ago, Moz said:

We still need a little more quality for me, if we want to challenge. Obviously, my opinion might change once we've played more games (speculation is the nature of this thread, after all). Compared to last season I'd say we're:

Midfield - Much stronger than last year (Walker is the signing of the window in my eyes)

A lot depends on how Wilson goes. Like other posters, I think DC will look for a young striker (I like the look of Bailey as 4/5th striker), but we're low on proven goals. For that reason, I really hope DC doesn't want Wozza at wing back all year. The extra work takes its toll on him and he's out best source of chances.

The sooner we can pack off Whitehead and Robinson, the better.

I dont think that Legge will play as many games. I think Martin will be the central defender with smith on the right and either Jones or Johnson to the left of him. I also think the defence is stronger than last season. 

Edited by PV1973

1 hour ago, Moz said:

In a three Legge will be fine, but at present I imagine he is 4th choice behind Martin, Smith, and Johnson in a 4. He'll probably only be needed if Martin is unavailable in a 3 CB situation; Smith, Johnson, Jones, and Cass should play the wide CBs either side of Legge.

I agree that up top, we are reliant on either:

A) Rodney taking a step forward and grabbing 15-20 at a consistent rate

B) Wilson putting it all together

Which neither are guaranteed.

I think Covalan will prove to be an improvement on Brown, personally, but I'm lower on Brown than most.

Advert:

20 minutes ago, vale victory said:

Scott quigley just put a piece on Twitter saying goodbye to barrow

Says it’s a family decision and wants to move closer to home , I think he’s from Shrewsbury

Nah it couldn’t happen could it

Probably Stockport or back to Wrexham, his twitter posts were quite sour towards us when he scored against us, and the responses weren't much sweeter.

I'd be shocked if we were in for him

We definitely look a striker short. Rodney could score 15-20, there's no reason at all why he couldn't. But he's still learning the game and in an ideal world he wouldn't be starting every week. Not sure either whether he's actually best up top with someone or on the wing at the moment. Wilson is talented clearly but isn't a goal-scorer, more of a scorer of really good goals. Proctor is a target man, link up type of player that can't be expected to worry the scoring charts too much.

I can see us playing a 5-3-2 formation with wing-backs, which means then you can choose between Rodney and Proctor to play a little ahead of Wilson if the latter starts, depending on what you want in the game from the striker. Worrall can also play wing-back without any problems, meaning Gibbons can be eased back considering he's coming off the back of a very injury hit season.

Lucas

Smith

Martin

Cass

Worrall

Benning

Walker

Pett

Conlon

Wilson

Rodney

Subs: Stone, Johnson, Jones, Gibbons, Taylor, Amoo, Proctor

If that's not a side capable of the top 6 then we're in one hell of a League Two this year.

Edited by Beech