onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

1 hour ago, ValeForever. said:

Seriously concerned for our promotion hopes, really!? I really like Gibbo & there's no doubt he is a really good player for us, but I do feel there's a lot of overhype amongst our fan base with some players & Gibbo is one of them.

Would I be disappointed to see him leave? Yes of course. Do I think him leaving completely derails our season? Absolutely not.

He's a full blooded, hard working, "one of our own" fans fave. A lot of that is down to him loving a challenge & getting right stuck in. Defensively he's not brilliant. He also has a poor injury record. Going forward he has quality & is an ever willing runner & I've mentioned his other outstanding qualities. 

I get Hussey is 33 & a different style of player but for me, for the rest of this season, he will do just as good a job as Gibbo. Don't panic.

Hopefully we can get a few quid & invest it back into the team. On we go.

I think Gibbons is a very hard player to replace. It's not his ability, but his character and what he gives to the team. He's lifted Vale Park single-handedly on occasion. 

We won't get the money we should do as he's got 6 months on his deal. It won't be bad, but we're losing a strong player of the season candidate who offers so much to how we play.

It's a blow, however dressed up.

Advert

1 hour ago, PV1973 said:

Bit harsh. He’s only played an hour v Brentford and then 45 mins v Swindon since coming back to training in the new year. He’s our best striker and it’s only right that he gets the game time to get back to match fitness. There’s no way we’d start games with a front 2 of those 2 loan lads unless Wilson got injured again. Another factor is also the overall team performance that can dictate the input a striker has in a game. 

It's not harsh in my opinion. I'm not saying he's suddenly a rubbish player. But in his time on the pitch since he come back he's not offered anything yet, albeit our team performance as a whole against Swindon was shocking so he certainly wasn't alone. But we have a tendency to rush players back and then throw them in only for them to break down again. Now that we have Harratt and Edmondson we really don't need to do that with Wilson. He generally gives me the impression of someone who takes some time to find form. Some players can come back and make an instant impact.

3 hours ago, Beech said:

It's not harsh in my opinion. I'm not saying he's suddenly a rubbish player. But in his time on the pitch since he come back he's not offered anything yet, albeit our team performance as a whole against Swindon was shocking so he certainly wasn't alone. But we have a tendency to rush players back and then throw them in only for them to break down again. Now that we have Harratt and Edmondson we really don't need to do that with Wilson. He generally gives me the impression of someone who takes some time to find form. Some players can come back and make an instant impact.

But you only have to look at the start of the Season. Fans were writing Wilson off, yet he showed he needs games to find his form. So no way will Clarke drop him, as he knows, a fully fit Wilson is head and shoulders ahead of any other Striker we have technically and is a key player for us.

7 hours ago, Beech said:

You don’t ditch your main striker and a player who’s been the centre point of everything good about our play prior to the injury because he’s had 2 quiet games after coming back. You give players like that the minutes they need to get back to match fitness. 

8 hours ago, Joe B said:

I think Gibbons is a very hard player to replace. It's not his ability, but his character and what he gives to the team. He's lifted Vale Park single-handedly on occasion. 

We won't get the money we should do as he's got 6 months on his deal. It won't be bad, but we're losing a strong player of the season candidate who offers so much to how we play.

It's a blow, however dressed up.

This. Fans have a tendency to close ranks when players could be on their way. He is a decent defender and can get forward as well IMO. He is also a leader and a future captain as well. What he may lack in technical ability (he is improving all the time though to be fair) he makes up for in his attitude and desire. But all that side of the game can’t be understated because I think no matter how he’s playing, the team is playing or how the game is going he has it in him to do something to lift the team or the crowd. Whether it’s a run, carrying the ball 70 yards to drive the team forward or a tackle or whatever. It seems like no one else offer the same qualities he does and I think it’s obvious when he’s not in the team. Can he be replaced. Of course he can. Is Hussey that same time of player that can pick up where he leaves off. No IMO. 

26 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Remember that Gibbo didn't see the Power Point before he signed. He was here already. Maybe he has seen what happened to last years out of contract players and decided not to take a chance. 

RZ, I read most of OVF and so both appreciate and accept others views and opinions. I think Gibbo is both better than the players that you are comparing him to and has more potential for the future as a player and an asset. 

Remember that Gibbo didn't see the Power Point before he signed. He was here already. Maybe he has seen what happened to last years out of contract players and decided not to take a chance. 
That is the situation in all walks of life if you are on a contract. Accept the situation or be proactive if no positive feedback.

6 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

RZ, I read most of OVF and so both appreciate and accept others views and opinions. I think Gibbo is both better than the players that you are comparing him to and has more potential for the future as a player and an asset. 

McKirdy seems to be doing OK at Swindon...

It's a no-brainer for Gibbo to join a Championship club, especially given his place in the team here isn't guaranteed.

I can't help but think that despite us thinking he's 'one of our own', Gibbo is in fact a Stoke fan, good friends with a certain Tom Pope and perhaps isn't overly fond of the current management. That's just pure speculation but I think it all may play a part in him not being desperate to stay. You have to remember that he's seen a large overhaul of the squad and may see this is a good time to move on now that most of his 'friends' are out of the building. When asked about his contract situation before the Brentford game he said something along the lines of 'at the moment it's about proving my fitness', so he's not even sure he's got a contract here beyond June.

We're sure as hell going to miss his drive and energy.

Archived