• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Well DC said judge the club and the end of the transfer window.

Players Out

Ryan Johnson,Danny Amos, Danny Whitehead, Leon Legge, George Lloyd, Scott Burgess, Denis Politic, Lewis Cass, Devante Rodney

Players In

Chriss Hussey, Connor Hall, Kian Harratt, Ryan Edmondson, Thomas Holy, Joel Cooper,Harry Charsley, Sammy Robinson

I grade the transfer window B+ . Addressed needs at GK, CB, a viable option in CM but we lack the experienced striker to back up Proctor and Wilson.

Overall I'm pleased with what we have done. A big turnaround of players, some of it enforced, others sold with fees(when the last time we did that),the last bit of deadwood moved on, plus an upgrade in the starting 11 at the back. I really like profile of players we are bringing in on loan, a far cry from previous loans who made up numbers in seasons gone by. A lot will now rest on the shoulders of Edmondson, Harratt and Cooper to see if we can pull ourselves back into the automatic places. We will need one or two of those to catch fire to help us score more with the ability to impact games from the bench.

For me the squad is definitely stronger today than it was 31st December. I hope its enough to have a successful season.

Edited by MBE
  • Like 5

Advert:

15 minutes ago, tisdeano said:

I guess we could have gambled like Salford and Mansfield did the previous 4 seasons and achieved nothing

Don’t have to gamble to that extent do you? It Dosent go from one extreme to the other like that. There is a mid ground you can sign very good proven players without spending silly money.  We’ve done it with hussey and hall and there are still players out there. Noticed a good signing for Northampton yesterday. Labala on loan from Blackpool I don’t think he would have broken the bank or been a huge gamble? 

• Like 1

I think our window being a risk depends on where we’re hoping to finish. The risk for me (if we’re wanting to challenge promotion) is the lack of a proven forward signed. Losing politic, Rodney (highly rated by some within the club) and even Lloyd and replacing them with unproven players with very little game time is a risk. Rodney got double figures last season, Politic proven at this level and Lloyd promoted for the league last year. For players who have barely played.

Players were / are still out there. I mentioned baldock yesterday, league 2 sides are after him and he is proven at a higher level. labala for Northampton is a good signing and wouldn’t have broken the bank. Defensive signings and Midfield I think have been very good, Hall, Hussey and Charsely are good signings. Hall looks a fantastic signing to be fair. I think we’re pinning our hopes on Wilson and Proctor staying fit, if they’re not fit I can’t see us challenging as we’re definitely light up top. 

Advert:

Needed to bring in a proven striker. It's done now we'll finish around 9th or tenth. Disappointing as this league apart from forest Green is very poor. The sides coming up from the conference will make promotion alot harder next year. Chance missed.

• Like 1

Goals need to come from other areas of the pitch as, if Wilson and Proctor don't stay fit, we're struggling in my opinion. Not just for goals but how it impacts our general play. i.e. using Proctor/Wilson to hold the ball up while the rest of the team supports them. Without them, the ball just keeps coming back towards our goal.

Maybe (but hopefully not & don't want to sound too defeatist) we'll have to wait 'til summer to fully strengthen our forward line.

For me, one more proven striker was all that was missing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rob1983 said:

Needed to bring in a proven striker. It's done now we'll finish around 9th or tenth. Disappointing as this league apart from forest Green is very poor. The sides coming up from the conference will make promotion alot harder next year. Chance missed.

We will be stronger if we do not go up this season, plenty of games to play yet though.

• Like 1

Guest Vale at home
2 hours ago, The man in the pub said:

I think what has happened with injuries will have derailed DCs plans. He has had to respond to the ever growing injury list by bringing in replacements, some proven , some not.  A team gels with time together on the pitch, relationships are built. With our rate of injuries players are not even getting time in training to do this, and it shows where it really matters on matchday.

Yes I do agree . Good Luck for to night Vale . A win would be Brilliant . 

Advert:

Unfortunately, due to injuries and certainly one of the suspensions, rather than a minor freshen up, which I think was always planned, we’ve had a major influx of new players. This has coincided with a really tough run of fixtures so I only hope that fans will be mindful of this and allow a bit of leeway when forming an opinion on the latest recruits.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:

Goals need to come from other areas of the pitch as, if Wilson and Proctor don't stay fit, we're struggling in my opinion. Not just for goals but how it impacts our general play. i.e. using Proctor/Wilson to hold the ball up while the rest of the team supports them. Without them, the ball just keeps coming back towards our goal.

Maybe (but hopefully not & don't want to sound too defeatist) we'll have to wait 'til summer to fully strengthen our forward line.

For me, one more proven striker was all that was missing.

Charsley, Cooper, Edmonson, Hall and Harratt don't have any previous history of being prolific goal scorers, les hope some of the old guard who have been here longer than a couple of weeks can step up. Smithy did us proud on Saturday. 

1 hour ago, valeparklife said:

Is our squad "full" now?

ie have we vacant positions that could be filled by free agents?

I stand to be corrected but I make it we have room for free agents bearing in mind GK don’t count, plus I’d be very surprised to see Hurst still here at the end of the NL window.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Unfortunately, due to injuries and certainly one of the suspensions, rather than a minor freshen up, which I think was always planned, we’ve had a major influx of new players. This has coincided with a really tough run of fixtures so I only hope that fans will be mindful of this and allow a bit of leeway when forming an opinion on the latest recruits.

Problem is that the next games are a tough run but if we don’t pick up points from them we will be too far behind 

Advert:

4 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

I don't understand what the obsession is with Vale fans over a "proven striker".

The top 5 goalscorers in L2 currently are:

• Dom Telford 20 goals
  • Jamille Matt 17 goals
  • Matt Stevens 16 goals
  • Harry McKirdy 11 goals
  • Harry Smith 11 goals

Prior to Newport, Telford had never scored more than 6 league goals a season in his career before this.

Prior to FGR, Matt had only hit double figures in the EFL once.

Prior to FGR, Stevens had scored 7 in 57 L2 games.

Prior to Swindon, McKirdy had 10 goals in 75 L2 games.

Prior to Orient, Smith had 18 goals in 93 games across L2, L1 and Scottish Prem.

I wouldn't class any of them as 'proven' before they joined their current clubs.

It's not about prior records, it's about finding a style of football that can get the best out of players.

People were raving about Jake Beesley for Rochdale this season, but if we'd have signed him instead, after 4 goals in 23 in the National League and said he was our main striker, there would have been a nuclear meltdown on here! 

Fair.

What I would say is we lack is an experienced striker rather than the mythical proven L2 goalscorer. That’s the risk we have taken in our squad. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

That's far too sensible!

• Haha 1