Kurtis Guthrie signs

On 28/02/2021 at 13:31, Guitar Ray said:

I don’t remember saying he was a great signing, or had scored a lot of goals.  The point I’m making is that in the bigger picture goals alone aren’t the only criteria. If we’re playing 2 strikers they need to link much better than we’re seeing from ANY of the combinations currently tried.  A good partnership in itself will lead to more goals being scored.  Rodney makes the odd goal out of nothing but his decision making is often crap.  He’s not alone, we see players blasting shots at the defenders legs rather than making a short pass.  At the moment it’s looking like nothing will change until Pope comes back and links with one from the pool of 5 or 6 strikers on the books.

He was brought into the club to help us score goals. He's not done that whatsoever. He might hold the ball up now and again and win a few headers, but so did Kyle Perry. Pope excluded, and even he is well past his best and on the decline, none of our strikers are good enough, and it doesn't matter who plays with who as a partnership. One look at Guthrie's record over the last couple of years showed that he was going to contribute very little to the side. Now we know full well why Bradford fans were pissing themselves that another League Two club wanted him.

Edited by TylerB

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome Kurtis! You are the right kind of player we need just give your all for the badge and you won't go wrong here. We have fantastic owners and in the main a great group of fans .

For god's sake you are supposed to be vale fans give Guthrie a chance will you he has not kicked a ball yet i hope he shoves every word back down your throats in the next months that he is with us.Com

Welcome and Good Luck Kurtis. All we ask is hard work and commitment and you wont go wrong, oh and if you could find the onion bag a few times 🙂

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TylerB said:

He was brought into the club to help us score goals. He's not done that whatsoever. He might hold the ball up now and again and win a few headers, but so did Kyle Perry. Pope excluded, and even he is well past his best and on the decline, none of our strikers are good enough, and it doesn't matter who plays with who as a partnership. One look at Guthrie's record over the last couple of years showed that he was going to contribute very little to the side. Now we know full well why Bradford fans were pissing themselves that another League Two club wanted him.

Leave Guthrie alone will you? It's not his fault he's crap at football

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, TylerB said:

I know this may be difficult for you.  Just to repeat, nowhere have I suggested that Guthrie is a good signing.

The last line of my post said, "At the moment it’s looking like nothing will change until Pope comes back and links with one from the pool of 5 or 6 strikers on the books."  So having said this I'd strongly argue that it DOES matter who plays with who.  You're saying you can put your worst 2 strikers on and it doesn't matter.  Crazy.  I'd suggest that a reasonably fit Pope + A.N. Other will score more goals than any other pairing we can currently put out on the park.  Have you ever played football?  There should be partnerships all over the pitch.  It matters big time.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

I know this may be difficult for you.  Just to repeat, nowhere have I suggested that Guthrie is a good signing.

The last line of my post said, "At the moment it’s looking like nothing will change until Pope comes back and links with one from the pool of 5 or 6 strikers on the books."  So having said this I'd strongly argue that it DOES matter who plays with who.  You're saying you can put your worst 2 strikers on and it doesn't matter.  Crazy.  I'd suggest that a reasonably fit Pope + A.N. Other will score more goals than any other pairing we can currently put out on the park.  Have you ever played football?  There should be partnerships all over the pitch.  It matters big time.

I clearly meant that it doesn't matter who WE use as a partnership, which is why I named three of our four forwards. I have no idea why you started rambling about partnerships all over the pitch. No point knocking when nobody is home though.

Edited by TylerB

Advert:

Our strikers are so bad I'm genuinely thinking about what we need someone in that position to do and who else we could play there. Win headers and hold it up? Maybe one of the centre halves could do that. Pacey and latch on to through balls? Maybe Hurst or Taylor could give it a go up top. 

I think Guthrie and Robinson are two of the worst strikers ever to grace the Vale Park pitch. We sometimes have one duffer, to have two and no alternatives is worrying to the extreme.

Edited by gavcradd

6 hours ago, TylerB said:

I clearly meant that it doesn't matter who WE use as a partnership, which is why I named three of our four forwards. I have no idea why you started rambling about partnerships all over the pitch. No point knocking when nobody is home though.

Your right about knocking when nobody’s home but I’ll try anyway. You posted “...it doesn’t matter who plays with who as a partnership.”  I’m saying it does whether that be, as in this case up front, or anywhere else on the park. Football history is full of great partnerships.  Ramble on.

A thread on one of the players other than Popey I see .

Kurtis Guthrie hey I do not what make of the lad ,one half chance v L Orient header just past the post and one golden opportunity on target saved v Cambridge our only one annoyed me greatly that he didnt find the net as we need a leg up you know the ones we give opposition too regularly as our position in the league shows.

He seemed be combining quite well with Rodney in the Leyton Orient game at times then Clarke changed the team v Stevenage which was odd and then last week he went back with Guthrie and Rodney and for first 25 both were good then they both went naff then he changed it again what a strange manager although in 3 of the games I'd be changing Rodney not the others  and sticking him either right wing or left I think you will find he is the weak link .

So let's hope he scores some goals soon can he who knows I think he can if we stop with the hoofball