Sign in to follow this  
Conrad

Jack Charlton dies

Yet another of our 1966 World Cup winners passes away in the form of Jack Charlton.

As part of a select band of brothers  to play in the same World Cup winning team Jackie’s aggressive style seamlessly complemented captain Bobby Moore’s more stylish play.

In retirement he moved into management at Middlesbrough before his most coveted spell as boss of Ireland in their World Cup heroics.

Farewell Jackie and thanks for the memories.

I knew he'd been unwell for a while but it's very sad news for those among us who recall watching the 66 Final on a small b&w tv in the living room way back when.

As others have said, he was a great player for Leeds United and did a fantastic job as manager of Ireland. The 'Boro too owe him a huge debt of gratitude for getting them up the ladder.

Is he the only player from 66 who made it as a manger?

A gentle nudge to us all that life moves on and none of us are getting any younger.

He was a hard player who took no prisoners (and supposedly had a little black book!) but fantastic in the air and had a wonderful double act with Bobby Moore.

Nice memories of one of the unsung heroes of my younger years.

• Thanks 1

RIP Big Jack

Leeds have had an horrendous few months, Cherry, Hunter and now Jack.

Have no affiliation with Leeds but promotion would be fitting.

Big Jack a proper old school guy who said it how it was. Very sad . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It feels like Jack has still been around recently as I've seen and heard quite a bit of him this Summer, with re-runs of the 66 Final, Euro 96 with Jack doing punditry, and of Gazza recounting the story of Jack (then Newcastle manager) asking Gazza how long he had left on his contract, and when Gazza replied "2 years", Jack told him "no, you've got 2 weeks you fat bastard, unless you start losing weight!" Apparently that worked and made Gazza cut out some of the junk food, and he was soon captain of the youth team, with Jack trying to guide and help him with dietary and fitness.

Wonder if Bobby will comment, as I don't think they got on (a family fallout to do with Bobby not speaking to their mother for years?). I always remember Jack being asked who was the best player that he had ever seen, and he replied "our kid"!

I didn't realise until today that Jack only made his England debut a few days before his 30th birthday. Impressive to then go on and get 35 caps and be a massive part of the country's biggest achievement.

I've no particular fondness for Leeds (who has?!) but it seems fitting for them to win The Championship title and promotion to the Premier League this year, having lost 3 of their legends in recent months, in Norman Hunter, Trevor Cherry and now Jack.

RIP Big Jack.

Legend

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, TheSage said:

I knew he'd been unwell for a while but it's very sad news for those among us who recall watching the 66 Final on a small b&w tv in the living room way back when.

As others have said, he was a great player for Leeds United and did a fantastic job as manager of Ireland. The 'Boro too owe him a huge debt of gratitude for getting them up the ladder.

Is he the only player from 66 who made it as a manger?

A gentle nudge to us all that life moves on and none of us are getting any younger.

He was a hard player who took no prisoners (and supposedly had a little black book!) but fantastic in the air and had a wonderful double act with Bobby Moore.

Nice memories of one of the unsung heroes of my younger years.

Alan Ball, was he in the 66 squad? Managed some tin pot club.

• Haha 1

Some of Jack’s tv punditry was interesting to say the least !

Whilst being informative, his insistence on calling our friends north of the border the “scotch” never went down well.

But his finest moment came when describing the lumbering West German forward Horst Hrubesch as Horst Rubbish ! To be fair, he wasn’t too wide of the mark ! 

Edited by RailwayRowdy

Sad of course. But 85 in the world as it is today is a more than decent innings, and what an innings he produced. R.I.P!

2 hours ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Some of Jack’s tv punditry was interesting to say the least !

That's reminded me of another classic piece of Jack Charlton punditry, from an infamous incident at the 1990 World Cup, Holland v West Germany.

Frank Rijkaard and Rudi Voller had both been sent off and as they were leaving the pitch Rijkaard gobbed on Voller (for the second time) as he ran past him.

Talking about it half-time, all of the presenters/pundits were calling it "disgraceful, scandalous" etc. while Big Jack just said "if he'd have done that to me, I'd have chinned him!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

RIP Jack.  I liked his directness - and will never forget him and John Aldridge having a right go at the pedantic touchline officials in Mexico 1994 World Cup.  I think Ireland were trying to get Aldridge on as a sub, and the officials were being "sluggish" with their clipboards, numbers boards etc, and delayed it for ages.  Aldridge had to be held back from sorting one official out, then Jack had a word as well.  I think his FIFA fine was paid for by supporters, who loved him.  Always called it as he saw it. 

I know he was a very good player in Revie's Leeds, Leeds, Leeds team (a great footballing team), as well as a successful manager at Boro and with Eire, but he will be remembered by most of us for being our centre half in 1966 who helped us to win the World Cup. One of Sir Alf's boys. A moment that we'll never forget and I imagine it will be a very long time before we see the likes of them again.

Jack was a master of the one line responses. My personal favourite was after the 66 quarter final against Argentina, when Rattin refused to leave the field after being sent off. Apparently, the incensed Argies were banging on the English dressing room door after the match. I cant recall which player said, in a concerned tone of voice, that they were trying to get in to fight, Jack said "Let em' in"