onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ale and the Vale Podcast

stupers

1 hour ago, Walka003 said:

I'm not against Conlon at LWB as mad as it sounds. He isn't getting into our midfield at the min, has a good left foot and engine. Anythings worth a try at this point but I don't think DC will fancy it.

Stone has plenty of time to get better. In the ideal situation he'd have had a few loans at lower levels now and would have had a good run of games to get him in form if needed.

Unfortunately our goalkeeper recruitment has meant that he's had to come and save the day from a mentalist Brazilian, a 7ft Czech bloke who couldn't jump and now an Oxford loanne who can't kick the ball to a player in a vale shirt. He's not a league one keeper right now, but he might be given time and he's the most consistent option we've had since DC came in.

TC at LWB could be a revelation and akin to Eddie Howe turning Joelinton from a forward into a box to box CM. Alternatively it could be just desperation and us being happy for any left footer to have a go there …..l’ll dig my boots out of the loft.

• Like 2

Advert

TC at LWB… No No No. and absolutely not!!!

Just because he has a left foot doesn’t t mean he’s suited to the role. He dwells on the ball far too long to be effective. He will just stop and slow our forward play and the ball will end up going backwards.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Love the pod, but find myself getting so annoyed with Johnny sometimes. I'm about 10 mins into the Burton review. Bezza is bang on the money re the extent of gamesmanship in the game these days. Johnny might just be playing devils advocate and not truly believe the contradictions he offers up, or if he genuinely isn't getting pissed off with it, he's only been watching football a few years and knows no different. Back in the 90s early 00s you'd lose a game and know the other team were simply better on the day. These days, gamesmanship is used as a way of levelling the playing field. Yesterday was a prime example. They identified the ref was weak early doors and targeted him. The time wasting, feigning injury, goalkeeper falling on the ball, kicking the ball away etc was some of the worst I've ever seen. The ref lost complete control. Football has always been a results business but entertainment did used to be part of the motivation for teams, and refs play a part in ensuring the product is a decent standard too. I'd love to know how many minutes we spent yesterday watching the ball in their keepers hands. It was appalling viewing, I partly blame the keepers, managers, clubs that push that way of behaving, but the ref has a huge part to play in preventing the game descending into farce. That's what happened yesterday. You could see Vale players moaning at the ref when the keeper was taking ages, and he just shrugged his shoulders as if to say, what do you want me to do about it...BOOK HIM. He should have been booked around the 47th minute when it first started. Wouldn't have done it again. But the fact that keeper came off the pitch without a yellow is just sheer incompetence on the ref's part. He was completely oblivious to it. 

I had to stop listening to the pod after 10 mins this morning because Johnny was winding me up too much. Think I'm listening too soon, yesterday is still raw. 

• Like 1

On 27/02/2023 at 15:06, Walka003 said:

I'm not against Conlon at LWB as mad as it sounds. He isn't getting into our midfield at the min, has a good left foot and engine. Anythings worth a try at this point but I don't think DC will fancy it.

Mmmmmmm - iv been puzzling that one - its actually well worth a punt - he is quicker than some, has got a bite in his tackle and would be coming from deeper so less likely to need 15 pirouettes to get onto favoured/only foot 

Could do worse

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Family Stand Terrier said:

Love the pod, but find myself getting so annoyed with Johnny sometimes. I'm about 10 mins into the Burton review. Bezza is bang on the money re the extent of gamesmanship in the game these days. Johnny might just be playing devils advocate and not truly believe the contradictions he offers up, or if he genuinely isn't getting pissed off with it, he's only been watching football a few years and knows no different. Back in the 90s early 00s you'd lose a game and know the other team were simply better on the day. These days, gamesmanship is used as a way of levelling the playing field. Yesterday was a prime example. They identified the ref was weak early doors and targeted him. The time wasting, feigning injury, goalkeeper falling on the ball, kicking the ball away etc was some of the worst I've ever seen. The ref lost complete control. Football has always been a results business but entertainment did used to be part of the motivation for teams, and refs play a part in ensuring the product is a decent standard too. I'd love to know how many minutes we spent yesterday watching the ball in their keepers hands. It was appalling viewing, I partly blame the keepers, managers, clubs that push that way of behaving, but the ref has a huge part to play in preventing the game descending into farce. That's what happened yesterday. You could see Vale players moaning at the ref when the keeper was taking ages, and he just shrugged his shoulders as if to say, what do you want me to do about it...BOOK HIM. He should have been booked around the 47th minute when it first started. Wouldn't have done it again. But the fact that keeper came off the pitch without a yellow is just sheer incompetence on the ref's part. He was completely oblivious to it. 

I had to stop listening to the pod after 10 mins this morning because Johnny was winding me up too much. Think I'm listening too soon, yesterday is still raw. 

Whilst I agree, entirely, that gamesmanship is ruining the game I think its the rules and the officiating of the game that are ruining it for us all.

It's become a non contact sport. Some of the "fouls" you see given are a complete embarrsament.  You can be penalised now for taking the ball clean away from an opponent.

The rules are also a massive part  of the dire refereeing see at all levels.  It must be a nightmare to implement the directives now.

Players, whilst not blameless, are going to do whatever they can to win.  Such is the pressure to do so. 

I honestly believe if we brought back actual tackling and booked players for time wasting at the first attempt then we would have something resembling a game of football again.

Something needs to happen as the spectacle we have now is very, very poor quality of the whole.  It just isn't anywhere near as exciting or enjoyable as it was.

Edited by eh up nah
  • Like 2

On 27/02/2023 at 15:06, Walka003 said:

Stone has plenty of time to get better. In the ideal situation he'd have had a few loans at lower levels now and would have had a good run of games to get him in form if needed.

Unfortunately our goalkeeper recruitment has meant that he's had to come and save the day from a mentalist Brazilian, a 7ft Czech bloke who couldn't jump and now an Oxford loanne who can't kick the ball to a player in a vale shirt. He's not a league one keeper right now, but he might be given time and he's the most consistent option we've had since DC came in.

thought his save in the first half when he pushed it round the post was probs the best keeper save iv seen for a while (although admittedly there haven't been many saves to compare it too - bit tongue in cheek there 👅👅👅)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hoppers said:

thought his save in the first half when he pushed it round the post was probs the best keeper save iv seen for a while (although admittedly there haven't been many saves to compare it too - bit tongue in cheek there 👅👅👅)

I agree, it was nice to see a save again.

• Haha 1

Listened to a bit more. Johnny brought up Euro 96 to counter Bez's statement that he's fell out of love with the game since then due to the rise of gamesmanship. But is Johnny talking about the standard of football at Euro 96 or level of gamesmanship? Two different topics altogether. 

I'm completely in agreement with Bez. I played grassroots through the 90s and 00s. You just wouldn't let a player know they'd hurt you. There was an honour in the game. That's gone now. If a player went down the way Kirk did at times yesterday, seemingly in agony, they'd still be in hospital now.

And that's where I come back to Johnny's argument about Euro 96. Technically its better now, but is it more enjoyable? More exciting and entertaining? I don't think it is. Yesterday was a "5 goal thriller" if you see that scoreline. Not for me. Was boring at times. Seen more exciting nil nils.

• Like 1

Yeah saying there were 5 goals it's one of the worst games iv ever seen. No enjoyment to be had at all. I am quite happy to applaud well worked goals by the opposition (sorry, but I enjoy good football) but in fairness theirs were shockers, our fault more than cutting edge footwork. Hey ho, we will beat Portsmouth 💓 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Family Stand Terrier said:

Listened to a bit more. Johnny brought up Euro 96 to counter Bez's statement that he's fell out of love with the game since then due to the rise of gamesmanship. But is Johnny talking about the standard of football at Euro 96 or level of gamesmanship? Two different topics altogether. 

I'm completely in agreement with Bez. I played grassroots through the 90s and 00s. You just wouldn't let a player know they'd hurt you. There was an honour in the game. That's gone now. If a player went down the way Kirk did at times yesterday, seemingly in agony, they'd still be in hospital now.

And that's where I come back to Johnny's argument about Euro 96. Technically its better now, but is it more enjoyable? More exciting and entertaining? I don't think it is. Yesterday was a "5 goal thriller" if you see that scoreline. Not for me. Was boring at times. Seen more exciting nil nils.

This is spot on.

I do think the main reason is the rules.  You can't tackle at all anymore.  

We just sanitize everything.

The players play up to the rules.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoppers said:

Yeah saying there were 5 goals it's one of the worst games iv ever seen. No enjoyment to be had at all. I am quite happy to applaud well worked goals by the opposition (sorry, but I enjoy good football) but in fairness theirs were shockers, our fault more than cutting edge footwork. Hey ho, we will beat Portsmouth 💓 

Same. Ipswich stands out for me. Far better 3 - 2 match. Two teams going for it. No gamesmanship. Their first was a great team goal, the second a perfect half volley, which I applauded at the time. Lost the game so was disappointed but came away thoroughly entertained. Exactly how it should be.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Family Stand Terrier said:

Your right......Watching BHA v Grimsby and I'm bored to tears with this walking football, as unlike an FA cup tie as you could get.

I understand the intricacies, but it's as boring as hell.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Family Stand Terrier said:

Same. Ipswich stands out for me. Far better 3 - 2 match. Two teams going for it. No gamesmanship. Their first was a great team goal, the second a perfect half volley, which I applauded at the time. Lost the game so was disappointed but came away thoroughly entertained. Exactly how it should be.

Absolutely - cracking game 👍👍👍👍

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Family Stand Terrier said:

Do you know what? I usually agree with everything that you put on OVF. You are one of my favourite posters but what you have put here is a little bit of bunkum in my book.

We are just the same at gamesmanship like any other team in fact, we were probably the best at it in League Two last year and everyone was lording it on here it last season.

Once the opposition do it, people are up in arms, yet when we do it we celebrate it.

My actual first experience / memory  of timewasting, <ovf censored> housing or whatever you want call it was the Germans and in particular, Jurgen Klinnsman at the 1990 World Cup.

Going down like they have been shot and then turning into a Tom Daley gold medalist.

Its not just been happening over the past few years, its been happening for over 30 years.

• Like 1