onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Other clubs releasing players...

7 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

I'd like Vale to keep most of the current squad, 2-4 new signings, consistency is the key to success.

Would be over the moon if we could keep Jake Taylor and/or Mich Clark for another season......or better.....

Do you really think with no income coming in that prior to next season we will have the funds to bring in four new players.  All clubs in league 2 must be racking up debts at the moment and there is nothing on the horizon to suggest that will change anytime soon,      

Advert

I think if we didn't retain Amoo it would be foolish.

I don't think you get much better, unless you're paying silly money, for a winger in this league. He's a decent League 2 player.

Our money needs to be spent elsewhere, and not on what would be, at best, a marginal improvement at right wing. Just not worth the risk of taking a punt on someone when we know that Amoo can contribute relatively well.

I feel whenever the 'new ' season does get underway most sides will be as you were or weakened .

Don't envisage a busy summer of activity for obvious reasons.

We are in a very lucky situation with our owners 

Had this happened prior to the takeover I have no doubt that we would be Bury mark two 

Good sides usually have less weak points, a more consistent 11, than a few very strong points and then heavy weaknessess elsewhere (argued in the book 'The Numbers Game', chapter 7). Success is determined by whichever team makes the least mistakes.

The key to progressing, now we have a decent squad, is to identify weak links and upgrade them, not to look at already decent areas and try to make them 'excellent', when recruitment in the lower leagues is very hit and miss.

We'll have to limit our budget, but so will practically every other club, many of which will be a lot more financially exposed than we are. Players will either have to accept less generous contract offers or find other careers.

In times of great crisis there lies great opportunities, and I think we have the owners and the manager to be in a stronger position than many of our rivals next season... whenever that is.

9 minutes ago, Wrex said:

We'll have to limit our budget, but so will practically every other club, many of which will be a lot more financially exposed than we are. Players will either have to accept less generous contract offers or find other careers.

In times of great crisis there lies great opportunities, and I think we have the owners and the manager to be in a stronger position than many of our rivals next season... whenever that is.

Completely agree; having a financially self-sufficient club, a manager with another 2 years on his contract, and owners in no rush to throw money at the wall for short-term success, we stand to be one of the League 2 teams in better shape come the start of whatever season will follow on from this one.

Our best players, bar Smith, are tied down; our squad is clearly a decent one, and well-rounded, ensuring we can foucs in on 4-5 key players, as opposed to mass overhaul of previous summers; we can be patient and see how the land lies.

Obviously not wanting to demean the current crisis but it is a massive opportunity for the resetting of football, and for clever, well-run clubs to take full advantage. I've got full faith in the people in our club to do this.

5 hours ago, DistantVale said:

Do you really think with no income coming in that prior to next season we will have the funds to bring in four new players.  All clubs in league 2 must be racking up debts at the moment and there is nothing on the horizon to suggest that will change anytime soon,      

I posted 2-4 new signings and that's assuming we lose a similar number of players from the current squad. I can well imagine the financial outlook has been healthier but Vale have to take advantage of any government and/or EFL incentives to maintain and/or improve the playing staff if any funds are available although the survival of the club is paramount.

Scunny have released 11; they had to regardless of Covid as they had one of the biggest wage budgets in the division.

Yasin Ben El-Mhanni

Cameron Burgess

Andy Butler

Jordan Clarke

Adam Hammill

James Horsfield

Rory McArdle

Kgosi Ntlhe

James Perch

Yann Songo’o

Levi Sutton

McArdle, Perch, and Butler all played at Vale Park in February. Again, this isn't the average retained list; its full of players who have experience at League 2, like Cambridge and Colchester's.

Fans not happy on the releasing of Levi Sutton (23, CB/CDM), James Perch (34, utility man), and Rory McArdle (33, CB),.

Sutton is a local lad, hence the disappointment. Considering his age and the utility, and needing back up for Joyce, may be worth a look?

We could quite easily release lloyd trickett smith hurst Evan's kennedy and Atkinson and it wouldn't effect us much. Only atkinson out of them will have made much of a contribution to us. Could add archer to it but as bennett was sold he may well be kept on now. 

2 hours ago, Andy Proctor said:

We could quite easily release lloyd trickett smith hurst Evan's kennedy and Atkinson and it wouldn't effect us much. Only atkinson out of them will have made much of a contribution to us. Could add archer to it but as bennett was sold he may well be kept on now. 

Hurst and Trickett-Smith's contract don't run out this summer - they both have another year😉

I guess Askey sees potential in Hurst while T-S was signed by Smurthwaite on a 2.5 year deal. 

However, I think you could well be right about the other fringe players.

Judging how other clubs are balancing the books I wouldn't be surprised if Vale err on the side of caution in releasing rather than keeping players this summer. 

Following on from my last post, I think this is the list of players out of contract at Vale this summer:

Kieran Kennedy
Tom Conlon *
Cristian Montano
Will Atkinson
Mark Cullen
Nathan Smith
Rhys Browne
Callum Evans
David Amoo
Ryan Lloyd
Shaun Brisley
Jordan Archer
Jonny Maddison

* no definite info on Conlon contract that I can find

I think this is all the players under contract past the summer:

Scott Brown (2021)
James Gibbons (2022)
Adam Crookes (2021)
Leon Legge (2021)
Luke Joyce (2021)
David Worrall (2022)
Manny Oyeleke (2021)
Tom Pope (2021)
Scott Burgess (2022)
Ryan Campbell-Gordon (2021)
Daniel Trickett-Smith (2021)
Alex Hurst (2021)

We've even got a reasonable starting eleven if you play all the contracted players which is probably better than some other clubs will have:

Brown

Gibbons - Legge - Crookes - Campbell-Gordon

Joyce

Burgess - Oyeleke

Hurst - Pope - Worrall

I wouldn't have originally have kept conlon on but with the way he has been playing since he came back from injury we have got keep him. I'd like us to keep amoo but he likes to move about abit so he could decide to move on. Brisley I'd like us to keep but he may move on due to not being a regular starter. 

Archived