onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Other clubs releasing players...

Robbie Cowling (founder of Jobserve) has spent lots of money at Colchester over many years.  A couple of years ago he made it clear he was withdrawing the amount of subsidy he is putting in by announcing a gradual season on season withdrawal.   Colchester have a very nice modern stadium, it is a prosperous town, but they struggle to get near 4,000 at home games.  In theory they should be doing very well when you compare the respective economy of Colchester and Burslem and its surrounding area.  In reality, without Robbie Cowling's money they would be struggling to hold on to their FL place.

They would have had a cup windfall this year, they played, Crystal Palace Tottenham and Man Utd in the Carabo cup so they should be in a better position to see out the current difficulties due to the surplus cash generated from that cup run.

They will remain in business but this decision has been announced early by Robbie Cowling to structure expectations of fans and players. Other clubs will follow suit.

As for their players who are available. No thanks, I do not see any of them improving our team or squad.  We want to sign players of the ilk of Jake Taylor, Scott Burgess, not players on their way down and out.  Respect to Luke Prosser, he has had a good career and is held in high regard, but he will be 32 when his contract expires.  He is not better than Legge, Smith or Brisley, so for those clamouring to sign him, why?

Advert

3 hours ago, Essex Vale said:

As for their players who are available. No thanks, I do not see any of them improving our team or squad.  We want to sign players of the ilk of Jake Taylor, Scott Burgess, not players on their way down and out.  Respect to Luke Prosser, he has had a good career and is held in high regard, but he will be 32 when his contract expires.  He is not better than Legge, Smith or Brisley, so for those clamouring to sign him, why?

Entirely agree with that. Why bring him back, he wouldn't get in the matchday squad right now...

16 hours ago, Essex Vale said:

Haven't seen anyone clamouring to resign Prosser. The fact remains he is probably a better bet than Kennedy as a fourth choice centrehalf, all things being equal. The chances on it happening are almost nil as Prosser has spend most of his career to the East of London, which is where he is from. Vale's budget won't stretch to paying enough to justify someone moving location on a 12 month contract for a second reserve. Prosser will end up at somewhere like Dagenham where he won't need to relocate, even if a team offered him a couple of hundred a week from further away. 

Askey would have loved to have signed 11 Taylor's and Burgess's last season. The fact is it is hard to unearth them. Rudge rarely came up with more than 2 really good players from almost nowhere. Recruitment will be driven by budget, availability and hard work. The players he brings in will be a mixture of younger and older players again I would imagine.

My guess in the ideal world the 6 positions (he said in the paper he would like 6 players) he would like to cover:

Centrehalf - replacement for Kennedy, probably younger than Brisley and Legge

Left back - competition for Monty / Crookes

Utility fullback - ideally he's sign Clark but I think its unlikely, outside chance he could stick with Callum Evans

Centre midfield - probably like for like cover for Joyce but younger

Winger - replacement for Browne

Centreforward

Last summer was a bit chaotic; the club was weeks away from insolvency, the ground was at risk of failing its safety certificate, contracts had to be sorted, and the new owners had little grasp of how to run a football club (especially one in turmoil upon arrival) and were reliant on the likes of Garlick to get prepared for the new season. I think that's why we saw Askey go back to players he knew; the scouting simply hadn't been done, and Askey didn't know whether he'd be at the club to warrant any long-term planning. The budget was cut to ensure sustainibility, and the reliable 'good lads' in the mould of Burgess, Evans, Kennedy, Lloyd were seen as 'good enough' and trustworthy. Cheap, will work hard, and will fill out the squad which had a decent starting 11 already.

What's fairly exciting is that despite this chaos, we cobbled together a very tidy squad that, based on current form, had a great chance of finishing top 7, as a result of good coaching, good workrate, and improvement of individuals.

Given that we now employ 5 scouts, with specific remits, have got most of our best players tied down (bar Smith), with a manager with another 2 years to run on his contract with the full confidence of players, fans, and owners, as well as the owners having a year under their belts, not having to stress about safety certificates or contracts, full focus should have been focused upon recruitment (obviously COVID has scuppered this).

Imagine Askey's coaching but instead of 2-3 good signings, 5-6 good signings. You'll always miss on signings in the lower leagues; even Rudge had a few howlers. Burgess, Taylor, Brisley, Clarke, Cullen, and Amoo have all proven to be at least OK signings, all adding something to the team (with Burgess the standout based on value).

If our finances aren't ravaged by this crisis, and we emerge still operating on self-generating income, with the City money and Leasing.Com money still in the pot, I am genuinely very excited to see what we can add to this team.

We're now a much more attractive proposition than we were 2 years ago; a stable manager here for a few years who plays modern, attractive football; owners who relentlessly preach the importance of treating the players like humans, not commodities; a club in the ascendancy, with promotion ambitions within the next 2 seasons; a strong dressing room with experienced players who clearly enjoy being here, underlined by Worrall's near desperation to stay. The likes of Worrall, Brown, Joyce, and Pope will know a lot of players in the game.

To be knocking around 7th after last summer is tantalising. A shame this summer will be chaos.

Cambridge have now released their retained list: https://www.educreations.com/lesson/view/harrying-of-the-north/52649325/?s=iS697V

Think we'll see a lot more of this. Who is out of contract for us, currently?

Cambridge released players:

Jabo Ibehre
Reggie Lambe
Samir Carruthers
George Taft
Paul Lewis
Dan Jones
Sam Bennett
Jordan Norville-Williams
Fin Iron

From my scant knowledge, I think George Taft is a steady centre half and we need to be preparing for if and when Smith has his head turned by a League 1 side.

Their fans aren't happy with the releasing of Paul Lewis, 25 year old midfielder.

They're offering terms to Greg Taylor (Centre Half, good), Harrison Dunk (left-sided, tidy) and Liam O'Neil (apparently rubbish).

Teams with good finances and a good scouting system are going to have a field day. There's going to be loads of good players up for grabs.

14 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Cambridge have now released their retained list: https://www.educreations.com/lesson/view/harrying-of-the-north/52649325/?s=iS697V

Think we'll see a lot more of this. Who is out of contract for us, currently?

Cambridge released players:

Jabo Ibehre
Reggie Lambe
Samir Carruthers
George Taft
Paul Lewis
Dan Jones
Sam Bennett
Jordan Norville-Williams
Fin Iron

From my scant knowledge, I think George Taft is a steady centre half and we need to be preparing for if and when Smith has his head turned by a League 1 side.

Their fans aren't happy with the releasing of Paul Lewis, 25 year old midfielder.

They're offering terms to Greg Taylor (Centre Half, good), Harrison Dunk (left-sided, tidy) and Liam O'Neil (apparently rubbish).

Teams with good finances and a good scouting system are going to have a field day. There's going to be loads of good players up for grabs.

This one feels like a normal released list with most players being bit part players for them this season. Dunk is a decent player. Colchester released 4 of the five outfield players with most appearances in a pretty successful season.

Paul Lewis knows Askey pretty well but I'd be surprised if he makes a move.

11 minutes ago, JRC said:

This one feels like a normal released list with most players being bit part players for them this season. Dunk is a decent player. Colchester released 4 of the five outfield players with most appearances in a pretty successful season.

Paul Lewis knows Askey pretty well but I'd be surprised if he makes a move.

Didn't notice the Askey link; his youth-team coach, and then the one who gave him his debut in the first-team, and got him sold to the EFL.

Apparently he's a Scouser so we're well placed; not saying he'd be a massive upgrade in midfield but with Taylor not being here next year, Atkinson, Lloyd, Evans probably being released, Manny's fitness still a question, and Joyce not getting younger, a 25 year old who played 40 games this season wouldn't be a bad shout. Their fans seem fairly irritated they've let him go, although I know how some Vale fans would react to us signing a Cambridge 'reject'.

Apparently 6"1; might add a bit of physicality to the dimunitive midfield corps we possess.

Dunk, Taft, or Lewis would be all be reasonable acquisitions. Genuinely have no idea if/when clubs will sign players. I assume until its cleared up if/when the season will conclude.

I wonder how Smith is feeling in all this uncertainty.

Before the virus this would would have been his best chance of getting a leg up the footballing ladder.

Fast forward a few weeks and he is sat on an offer from the Vale that if he doesn't sign, he will only get paid to the end of June, and then go into a HUGE pool of available players and a market where clubs can pick a bargain.

2 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

I wonder how Smith is feeling in all this uncertainty.

Before the virus this would would have been his best chance of getting a leg up the footballing ladder.

Fast forward a few weeks and he is sat on an offer from the Vale that if he doesn't sign, he will only get paid to the end of June, and then go into a HUGE pool of available players and a market where clubs can pick a bargain.

I'd imagine he's still confident he'll get a contract. It's a worry for marginal players, I think clubs will go with much smaller squads next year. The question for Smith is will someone higher up still be prepared to take a gamble in a smaller squad. This probably makes it slightly more likely he will sign but I still think 50/50 at best.  Fortunately Brisley did so well we didn't really miss him when he was out. 

3 minutes ago, JRC said:

I'd imagine he's still confident he'll get a contract. It's a worry for marginal players, I think clubs will go with much smaller squads next year. The question for Smith is will someone higher up still be prepared to take a gamble in a smaller squad. This probably makes it slightly more likely he will sign but I still think 50/50 at best.  Fortunately Brisley did so well we didn't really miss him when he was out. 

Yeah agree with this... I suspect it nudges hm more towards resigning with the vale. That would give him certainty to be paid over the summer rather than taking the gamble.

At 29 years old (I always think he is older) I would be offering Brisley a contract for sure.

51 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Didn't notice the Askey link; his youth-team coach, and then the one who gave him his debut in the first-team, and got him sold to the EFL.

Apparently he's a Scouser so we're well placed; not saying he'd be a massive upgrade in midfield but with Taylor not being here next year, Atkinson, Lloyd, Evans probably being released, Manny's fitness still a question, and Joyce not getting younger, a 25 year old who played 40 games this season wouldn't be a bad shout. Their fans seem fairly irritated they've let him go, although I know how some Vale fans would react to us signing a Cambridge 'reject'.

Apparently 6"1; might add a bit of physicality to the dimunitive midfield corps we possess.

Dunk, Taft, or Lewis would be all be reasonable acquisitions. Genuinely have no idea if/when clubs will sign players. I assume until its cleared up if/when the season will conclude.

When players are released its sometimes because they have already been tapped up somewhere else, so they aren't always rejects. They may have been talking to him about reduced terms and he may have indicated he'd move closer to home if that was the case. The Askey link, coming off the back of a good season and playing mainly in the defensive midfield role all mean its not ridiculous speculation. 

I didn't realise that, even though player contracts generally expire at the end of June they still get an extra month's severance pay if they haven't got fixed up with another club, so will still be paid for July by the club that has released them. I always thought their earnings stopped on 30 June when their contracts ran out.

Apparently its a standard thing, and not just a recently introduced clause related to the current situation.

Cambridge, along with a few other clubs are going to be really hard hit by all this. Their owner, Paul Barry, is a Seattle-based business man whose companies are in the travel industry. He's written an open letter to U's supporters saying he is committed to helping them through the crisis but whether he can continue to do this with the financial hit the travel industry has suffered remains to be seen. Cambridge had already put all their staff on furlough, playing and non-playing, so this latest news is another sign of the trouble they're in.

Hard times - I certainly hope they survive.

42 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Yeah agree with this... I suspect it nudges hm more towards resigning with the vale. That would give him certainty to be paid over the summer rather than taking the gamble.

At 29 years old (I always think he is older) I would be offering Brisley a contract for sure.

29! I thought he was in his 30s!

Taft would be a decent signing - he's always looked a good CB whenever I've see him against us.

I don't know much about Lewis but "on paper" looks like a handy midfielder with a goal in him and a good age too.

Just remains to be seen what kind of financial situation we're in though after all of this.

Archived