cheshirevaliant

Bennett to stockport?

5 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

I wouldn't say cash in mate. Be gobsmacked if more than 15 grand. It will be a nominal fee . Not even publicised which in my mind it should be.

The unofficial Vale Twitter account reckons it’s £20k. Probably sounds about right.

Does anyone know if Archer is fully fit and currently training? I hope he is, or it will Monty as back up striker! 

4 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

The unofficial Vale Twitter account reckons it’s £20k. Probably sounds about right.

Does anyone know if Archer is fully fit and currently training? I hope he is, or it will Monty as back up striker! 

Plus wages saving till end of season / over summer will double this number.

Short term would have preferred him in the squad for the rest of the season, but where he has not stood out consistently as Popey’s long term replacement  then an understandable decision in the medium term planning of the club

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

But Pope is nearly 36 when his contract expires ? 

And he's scored 100 more goals than Bennett ever will!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Playa Amodores said:

Thank you for your opinion, like I’ve said I like to hear others POV and don’t knock them. It was nothing to do with who he was replacing. His effort at closing down defenders was excellent but for me that was his whole game. I read the Carlisle fans website and what they questioned was his ability to be a league player and I had to agree with them, that he wasn’t. With his  physical attributes he should have been a twenty plus goal scorer a season and he was never going to be that. I feel sorry for all the PVFC fans that admired him and continually used to slate me for my opinion on him, reminding me that he was our top scorer.

Always love the 20  goal plus comment.  Despite the myth Pope has only done this once in his career,.  

As a goals threat little between them nowadays, but agree Bennett is not the long term solution.  Would have preferred to keep him for the run in, but sure the deal makes good financial sense.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

And he's scored 100 more goals than Bennett ever will!

i was merely saying age isn't the issue. I'm sure Legge and Pope will still be on the books next season . The person was suggesting as though 30 is over the hill when his contract ran out.

1 hour ago, soothsayer said:

Stockport are 5 points adrift of the playoff places and have played a game more.

Incorrect.

8024DC45-9B3B-4C94-9224-8B1526F5F6CD.jpeg

• Like 1

I wonder if Vale have any idea when the FA's decision on Pope is likely to be.  And do we have an appeal option when it happens??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

i was merely saying age isn't the issue. I'm sure Legge and Pope will still be on the books next season . The person was suggesting as though 30 is over the hill when his contract ran out.

I absolutely wasn't suggesting that, maybe trying reading the post.

was suggesting that there is going to be little point holding on to a 28 year old who isn't in the managers plans, as hes got little to no scope to develop and become a player that challenges the 1st team. If JA doesn't like Richie now, i cant see that changing much in a years time, he'll be 29/30 and released on a free after weve paid his wages for another year

Edited by Walka003

Strange and risky timing. A Cullen injury and a Pope Twitter ban and we are left with Archer who couldn't get into the Stockport team that Bennett has now joined.

11 hours ago, robf said:

I hope to goodness Pope's appeal against his FA charge has been successful. If he faces a lengthy ban we're down to two strikers. I always thought Richie Bennett was not as bad as some thought and had a bit of potential. Odd time to sell him in my opinion.

I wonder if Richie initiated this move?

8 hours ago, Valist said:

Strange and risky timing. A Cullen injury and a Pope Twitter ban and we are left with Archer who couldn't get into the Stockport team that Bennett has now joined.

I don’t think he couldn’t get in the team. I think he played 2/3 games and then picked up a knock. 

Richie Bennett was under contract for next season as well.  Perhaps Askey decided that if he didn't want him then, it was best to get rid now when we had a club interested rather than keep him until the summer when the offer may not still be on the table.  It's a risk so keep your fingers crossed.
Thought he only signed up for one season!
Maybe I'm mistaken..

14 hours ago, Platty's Tassels said:

For a give away price. It’s odd, but he isn’t good enough for league 1 anyway.

Give away? we paid nothing for him and he is our 3rd choice striker. To get any fee for him is a big plus for us.

• Like 1

Not really surprised though, if anything it just shows that Askey has no plans to start playing 2 up front, which was kind of obvious anyway, despite people suggesting it all season. 1 place to play for, 2 decent strikers & a back up if needed is plenty at this stage in the season. Imagine we'll get rid of Archer in the summer too.