Vital Spark

Pope tweets under investigation by FA

4 minutes ago, osprey said:

Wish he would stay off Twitter

I was wondering how long it would be before his new found Twitter fame would quickly turn against him. Let's hope for the clubs sake that this doesn't escalate into bad publicity after such a great weekend.

Obviously hasn't learnt a thing after his 1 match ban! Simple solution is to stay off twitter. For some reason he seems completely incapable of doing it. He's 34 FFS, more than old enough not to have been brought up on the thing

Should have left it alone last night when he was on to a winner with the 50 goals tweet and then the Mandy tweet. Seems to have got too carried away and it may overshadow what was otherwise an unbelievable weekend for him. 

embarrassing. 

The fact people are trying to explain it to him as well and he thinks its people just out to get him. Just shut up ffs!

it definitely is anti semitic whether he meant it or not. It's a classic trope

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Should have left it alone last night when he was on to a winner with the 50 goals tweet and then the Mandy tweet. Seems to have got too carried away and it may overshadow what was otherwise an unbelievable weekend for him. 

For me the 50 goals tweet went too far and he should have walked away from the Etihad at the final whistle and drawn a line under his personal involvement. There's a point where banter becomes disrespectful.

• Like 1

Starting to get bored with his twitter wind ups however people are or aren’t entitled to react. He’s been unavailable for one game already, just be pragmatic and close down the account it’s not actually funny and it’s not worth the aggro.

People have this self righteous determination to exercising their right to “banter” . I love Popey, he’s a legend but he’s not that funny. With all due respect.

Why bring the Rothschild family into tweets? Just unnecessary. Unfortunately it is obviously anti-Semitic and takes the focus away from an incredible performance and a world class goal. 

He will be looking at a ban. I mean given the furore over Corbyn and anti semitism generally, this is utter stupidity. 

I doubt it was meant as anti-Semitic. But ill advised would be a good word. Maybe he should run them past Max to check naievety and "bants" don't cross the line. Had no problem with the Stones stuff.

A few years ago Vale lost at Crewe and their centre half George Cooper tweeted about having Tom Pope in his pocket all afternoon. Tom went mad and said it was totally disrespectful. He then did similar about John Stones. He needs to be more careful how ever funny he thinks it is. 

58 minutes ago, Class personified said:

Having read the comment in no way is it anti-semitic. I suspect it’s Man City fans who have started this ball rolling. This PC world has gone mad. 

Agree.

I think the F.A. should focus on 'League issues instead of running scared of the money men.

• Thanks 1

I am amazed that anyone thinks it’s anti-semitic. If he had used the RBS would there have been a Scots uprising. The world has gone mad. I agree, sadly, that in this exceptionally sensitive world we live in, Pope should come off twitter if only for the sake of his bank account. I wonder if he banks with Rothschilds?

Edited by Class personified

Certain names like "Rothschild" and "Soros" have a certain subtext and are often used in conspiracy theories as shorthand for 'the Jews'. Shady global elites, financiers etc. that sort of thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zionist_Occupation_Government_conspiracy_theory

Tom likes a good crackpot conspiracy theory. I've seen some of the boIIocks on Twitter he's posted down the years. Does he fully understand the subtext behind the word he's used? I suspect probably not.

I said it the last time, he wants sending on a course.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Santa said:

Certain names like "Rothschild" and "Soros" have a certain subtext and are often used in conspiracy theories as shorthand for 'the Jews'. Shady global elites, financiers etc. that sort of thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zionist_Occupation_Government_conspiracy_theory

Tom likes a good crackpot conspiracy theory. I've seen some of the boIIocks on Twitter he's posted down the years. Does he fully understand the subtext behind the word he's used? I suspect probably not.

I said it the last time, he wants sending on a course.

All the same Santa, I still believe the F.A. Trolls need to worry about 'League issues e.g. players not being paid.

For me, this is more akin to 'Big Brother is watching You'.

I don't see anything antisemitic in what he reportedly said.

The banking dynasty he mentions have been involved in banking for 300 Years? They have, reportedly, banking interests in every country across the world except about half a dozen. They have survived stock market crashes, disasters and world wars...... if there were survivors in the banking industry of a 3rd world war I would assume, given their vast and varying interests, they would survive and be a prominant/dominant  force.

Not because of their religion but because of their spread of assets. 

I think free speech is moving away from you have the right to say what you want (within the confines of the law) towards you can say what you want providing it doesn't offend anyone.

Within the confines of the law doesn't mean you can't say it, it just means there are consequences laid down in law if you do.

Im very surprised the club let him have a twitter account to be honest. Im not saying thats what they should do, but if he ends up getting another game ban and another fine then something needs to be done. We dont want to lose him for anymore games.

Edited by sandyford_valiant