Match Thread: Mansfield Town v Port Vale

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After a day of reflecting, a draw was entirely fair. We started and ended poorly; they should have scored in the opening stages when Rose shanked on over when it was easier to score. Cook was dom

this underlines the need for a proper left back?

I think a foul had been given before it went in. One of the pushy 50/50 ones. All fair points Joe B. Amoo unfortunately has been categorized by many as the worst of all possible things "lazy". I

I didn’t think Archer did anything wrong nor did we miss Pope for the few minutes he was off the field. I would have made another sub in injury time just to slow the game down. Amoo being the most obvious candidate because he would have been the furthest to trot off the pitch.

Generally speaking we still don’t quite have that ruthless edge or do the game management stuff properly. At 2-0 we gave them a lifeline.

Edited by Santa
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, philmpv said:

Anybody know where this jake taylor has gone to Brentford rumour has come from?

It’s what people were saying at the game, having thought about it, he’s still on loan to Vale till 18th January so maybe that’s what it is, a rumour.

Obviously disappointing to lose a two goal lead and to lose another winning position.

10 draws, 7 wins, 6 losses. 

On target for 62 points.

A competitive side, falling just short of the play offs.

Way better than expected in a rebuilding process.

Perspective is all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just watched the highlights back. Our first goal was quality, really well worked. Poor clearance from Monty for the first. On the second I don’t think there’s anything else Gibbo could have done when theres a players running at him who he has to go to in order to to stop the shot, plus there’s a player overlapping as well. Amoos come all the way inside and been taken out of the game with a ball outside him which leaves Gibbo with a man over. It looked like it goes straight through Brown, and that’s never a shot it’s a cross. I’ve said it before this season, but I’m convinced there’s an agenda from Sproson against Gibbo. Whenever I watch stuff back on ifollow when he’s on he is way way over the top in his criticism. 

• Like 2

It’s so incredibly frustrating as simple lapses in concentration are costing us dearly and we should be firmly set in the play-off places now.

Monty’s clearance for the first is a direct consequence of him not being aware his man had a yard on him so reacted late. But nobody was near Maynard, who everyone knows is a quality striker at this level.

The 2nd is a cumulation of errors. Nobody gets close to the man in midfield, Gibbo is rabbit in the headlights as he’s too far inside when surely we know enough about Hamilton now to realise he’s always dangerous against us, no idea where Amoo was and Brown didn’t exactly cover himself in glory (again). 

Add to the mix that we again didn’t make our full complement of subs to run the clock down if nothing more (although fresh legs might have been useful) and yes, the conclusion must be that neither the players nor management seem to be learning from previous disappointments of this type. 😡😡😡

Edited by Biddulph_PV

41 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Just watched the highlights back. Our first goal was quality, really well worked. Poor clearance from Monty for the first. On the second I don’t think there’s anything else Gibbo could have done when theres a players running at him who he has to go to in order to to stop the shot, plus there’s a player overlapping as well. Amoos come all the way inside and been taken out of the game with a ball outside him which leaves Gibbo with a man over. It looked like it goes straight through Brown, and that’s never a shot it’s a cross. I’ve said it before this season, but I’m convinced there’s an agenda from

Sproson against Gibbo. Whenever I watch stuff back on ifollow when he’s on he is way way over the top in his criticism. 

What like?

Gibbo was poor today. I'm a big fan of him usually

Smith and Legg were stand out performers for me, and not just for the goals. Smith is superbbbb

Just watched the highlights back. Our first goal was quality, really well worked. Poor clearance from Monty for the first. On the second I don’t think there’s anything else Gibbo could have done when theres a players running at him who he has to go to in order to to stop the shot, plus there’s a player overlapping as well. Amoos come all the way inside and been taken out of the game with a ball outside him which leaves Gibbo with a man over. It looked like it goes straight through Brown, and that’s never a shot it’s a cross. I’ve said it before this season, but I’m convinced there’s an agenda from Sproson against Gibbo. Whenever I watch stuff back on ifollow when he’s on he is way way over the top in his criticism. 
I agree with the comments about Phil Sproson. Always has a dig at Gibbo in the commentary. Makes you wonder if there's an agenda there

1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I think Phil Sproson has a history of talking down players he isn't representing on Radio Stoke commentaries. 

Well who does he represent? Surely the vast majority of the club's squad are with other agents. It makes sense he bigs up Taylor and anyone else he represents, but he can't just run down 90% of all the other players on the pitch!

7 hours ago, philmpv said:

Anybody know where this jake taylor has gone to Brentford rumour has come from?

Lyle Taylor linked with Brentford not Jake Taylor, can’t see him going to Brentford when he’s not played higher than league 2. 

If his loan was up in the first week of January then I would question it but over 3 weeks left I do think it’s a genuine injury. 

These things happen it’s no shock that a player gets injured, hopefully he will be back in midfield on Sunday however I don’t think, Joyce, Atkinson or Burgess did bad today.

• Like 2

I think that may be it with Sproson because even in watching back some previous games earlier in the season on ifollow he would very often be praising Crookes to the hilt, whom he also represents. He’s way too negative IMO to the point of it being blatantly obvious against certain players. 

But anyway i think in the main in difficult conditions we defended relatively well, I don’t think anyone was particularly poor. On a pitch like that when we were clearing our lines we did struggle sometimes to find Pope all the time and also with our backs against the wall in that last ten mins anywhere seemed to do for the ball. But having said that we also played some decent stuff. Both Monty and Gibbo got good crosses in first half for Pope. I made a point of comparing fullbacks today because I think Rose, Kahn and Hamilton are dangerous players. In the first half bar a fantastic through ball inbetween Gibbo and Legge, when Legge came sliding across with a great tackle, Gibbo wasnt beaten by his man. Monty went through a spell of struggling in that first half and ended up being booked for bringing his man down, they definitely had more joy down there. But as the first half wore on he was able to get forward more. Second half Hamilton switched wings and pretty much got 2 crosses in, one of which he scored with. Monty on the other hand I thought was being targeted a lot more with long diagonals and some decent play down their wing between their right back and right winger. But having said that  I didn’t actually think he was being as exposed second half as he was in the first half. In the car on the way home we were discussing the fullbacks between us and i think we all had different opinions but we pretty much all agreed that Gibbo is sometimes more judged on his forward play and if he isn’t bombing forward  then some think he’s had a bad game, instead of being judged on what he’s doing when we have to dig in as well. Whereas Monty (because he’s a winger) is sometimes given a bit of a free pass defensively and maybe isn’t expected to do what a fullback should.

I think It’s becoming more and more evident that we need a proper left back in from a defensive point of view  I’ve watched the goals again and I think Monty positionally is too far away from Smith, there’s a massive gap between them. A few yards to his right and he deals with the ball in comfortably, as it happened that fine margin of a couple of yards meant he was stretching and didn’t get enough on the clearance, it just seemed to come from nothing. That’s the killer goal there, they haven’t earned that goal through good play but it gives them something to go for in the final ten minutes, because up til that point I thought we looked comfortable. Second goal I initially thought Amoo should have done better but in fact he came across to his man and it was atkinsons player who’d ran off him and was free and running on to the defence. In that situation the full back has to keep his shape and be close to his centre half to stop them playing between them and also to stop the shot, if the ball goes out wide to the player overlapping then we have to deal with the cross coming into the box instead. Unfortunately we didn’t deal with it, in fact it’s hard to believe how that’s gone through brown and into the net. 

Second half I thought Atkinson and Burgess did really well, they came into the game much more. I felt that Amoo and worrall had quiet games and didn’t get close enough to Pope, who imo worked his socks off. Smith had a good second half but first half he got caught on the ball a couple of times and was struggling aerially against their big lad. But what a goal he scored. I really wonder if someone will come in for him in January or in the summer, he’s having a very good season. 

Edited by PV1973