Fosse69

Match Thread: Port Vale v Stevenage

Back to Fortress Burslem, although they are not attractive visitors, 3 points  are at stake so back to our usual 433 formation using the pitch to our advantage,  Treat Macclesfield as part of the learning curve,   concentrate on polishing  what works with the current advantage of having more options with fewer injuries, a separate plan for  small away grounds needs to  be sorted for another day. But for Saturday return to our 3 goal style please, go at them Vale.

4-3-3 for this one all the way, get back to a formation that we know we can play, because frankly we looked clueless all over the pitch yesterday like we weren’t sure what we were supposed to be doing and hoofing a long ball into channels for forwards doesn’t work for us.

brown

gibbons - Legge - Smith - crookes

atkinson - Joyce - taylor

worrall - Bennet or Pope - Amoo

Edited by PV1973

Doesn’t look like we will get many away wins this season so home wins are vital.

Revert back to the usual set up is a must, after yesterday the diamond formation needs binning for good.

Play Bennett up front with Archer supported by Amoo and hopefully Montano. These are the four who will form a consistent understanding and prolific mix  upfront.

Get the formation right 4.3.3 and attack attack attack. A win therefore will come 4-1

1 hour ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Brown

Atkinson Brisley Legge Monty

Amoo Joyce Taylor Worrall

Archer Bennett

Seriously? Do we really need to make such wholesale changes?  You’d drop Smith?

12 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Seriously? Do we really need to make such wholesale changes?  You’d drop Smith?

14 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Brown

Archer Bennett

I do like the look of that team, but still think we would get overrun in midfield. 

Also, think we need to give Brisley a chance over Legge or Smith as we just can’t keep clean sheets. 

We need width, and I wouldn’t be adverse to giving Monty another go at left back. 

I’d try the below.

Brown

Atkinson Legge Brisley Monty

Worrall Joyce Taylor

Browne   Bennett/Archer   Amoo

We need some pace & energy in the team, and get the ball down and play. 

Always makes me ironically smile when people want Smithy dropped. Most consistent defender we've had for years. The only one not to drop a bollock for any of the goals Sat. But yeah, let's drop him. RS are very anti-Smith for some reason.

He's decent and the least of our problems.

Edited by toyahw
  • Like 5

35 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Always makes me ironically smile when people want Smithy dropped. Most consistent defender we've had for years. The only one not to drop a bollock for any of the goals Sat. But yeah, let's drop him. RS are very anti-Smith for some reason.

He's decent and the least of our problems.

Something needs to be tried as we can’t keep clean sheets. The only reason Smith gets a rest for me is that I don’t think we can’t afford to lose Legge’s arial ability, given we are a pretty small team anyway. 

It might not work, but we need to try and find a solution to keeping clean sheets. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

Something needs to be tried as we can’t keep clean sheets. The only reason Smith gets a rest for me is that I don’t think we can’t afford to lose Legge’s arial ability, given we are a pretty small team anyway. 

It might not work, but we need to try and find a solution to keeping clean sheets. 

In my opinion mate, Smith and Legge are fine at CB. Our problem is more at full back and a system that defends as a team. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Brown

Archer Bennett

We need shake that back four up ,sick to the teeth of folk not listening to my views ,Crookes is getting mullered as most goals conceded are crosses from his side but I have a different take and that is Centre half’s should be at least tight to the players who are scoring from these situations .

They ain’t and teams are profiting from our giveaways .

It cannot continue many a game I e been to Vale park in my watching life and many crosses have gone in from wingers yet most opposition defenders have read the game and snuffed it any chance of Vale scoring yet we are consistently leaving players free to score through lack of desire ,application and downright docileness .

This team is a starter and I agree with it .

Lets hope that we do not choose Legge and Smith again as Guthrie gives them the run around .

Time to drop one or both of them we cannot afford to give teams a goal start .

Shake it up Askey astounding are under pressure now .

The owners are great ,the fans are turning out in number home and away and are supportive .

A big game to give fans confidence back before really tough games away v Bradford and Crewe who are top of the league and deservedly so.

58 minutes ago, toyahw said:

In my opinion mate, Smith and Legge are fine at CB. Our problem is more at full back and a system that defends as a team. 

The problem positions aren’t at CB. Smith was one of the few who played Ok on Saturday, where our midfield didn’t offer enough either defensively or in attack.  Legge gave the ball away for one of the goals.

Brisley may well deserve a chance but not just yet.

16 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Brown

Archer Bennett

Brilliant idea... revert to the formation that has delivered us our two shockingly bad, dog turd performances this year.

Ignore the successful unbeaten run at home playing 433... experimenting vs Macc went so well we should do it again.

Jesus Wept 

• Like 3

We should win but we can’t take things for granted. I thought we struggled against Morecambe until their player needlessly got himself sent off. I hope the players realise that they let themselves and more importantly the fans down at Macc.

i hope I’m not expecting too much when I’d like all three points and a crowd north of 5k. Having read Bidduloh PV, GTC they’re probably going to be more accurate that what I’m hoping for.

Can anyone tell me if we’ve actually put the same starting 11 in consecutive games.? For some reason I think we have but only the once.

Their attitude and work rate needs to be far, far better than it was on Saturday. There was only really Smith, Woz, Joyce and Pope who looked anything like what was required at Macc. The others were all very complacent and it cost us. We made a very poor team look reasonable. Hope we are much more up for it against cheating Stevenage. 

23 hours ago, whotobeakiller said:

Play Bennett up front with Archer supported by Amoo and hopefully Montano. These are the four who will form a consistent understanding and prolific mix  upfront.

Get the formation right 4.3.3 and attack attack attack. A win therefore will come 4-1

How do you know when you only listen to it on Radio Stoke.