Jacko51

No cash at Colchester

As a rough guide......... £1,000.

Changed at Barclays = 34,200bht

Cash machine = 36,400bht + £20 bank charge uk

£50 notes = 37,300bht

Cash gives you about £60 extra to spend.

The best rate of exchange is for cash, wherever I've been.

If you want to lose money by using a card..... help yourself..... it's your money.

22 minutes ago, For Us All said:

Strange that there's no cash machines in the town of Burslem but they have them in Smallthorne,Norton,Endon and Brown Edge?

Thought there was one just beyond the Saggers

54 minutes ago, geosname said:

As a rough guide......... £1,000.

Changed at Barclays = 34,200bht

Cash machine = 36,400bht + £20 bank charge uk

£50 notes = 37,300bht

Cash gives you about £60 extra to spend.

The best rate of exchange is for cash, wherever I've been.

If you want to lose money by using a card..... help yourself..... it's your money.

So how do you get the cash to do the exchange?  I have a Halifax Clarity card that acts as a credit card abroad with no charges so is much better than carrying loads of cash around.

29 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

So how do you get the cash to do the exchange?  I have a Halifax Clarity card that acts as a credit card abroad with no charges so is much better than carrying loads of cash around.

I have bank accounts here. I get a better rate than drawing it from a UK bank by transfer, sometimes better than cash exchange because banks are slow to respond to fluctuations. If I'm in the UK I will make a withdrawal,  as long as I declare it at the airport it's no problem.

When the pound is low I buy GBP with BHT...... When the pound goes up I buy BHT with GBP...

I have ATM cards here but no other plastic at any Thai bank..... although they have tried on numerous occassions I refuse a credit card. I also have a holding account with my transfer company, which allows me to transfer £s to them to hold as £s or convert to any currency at any time, so as the money market fluctuates I can convert some or all they hold for me into any currency... ie £- €....... € - $ and so on until I want it forwarding in Tub.

I've been under the impression that having cash on the premesis adds a lot to insurance premiums.  I can imagine insurance isnt cheap at the vale.

May not be loads but if its the difference for a quality signing im all for it.

It doesnt seem to affect amazon.

Edited by Valiant1981

48 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Do they charge you for drawing money abroad?..... does the machine or the bank who ownes the machine you are using charge?

2 minutes ago, Valiant1981 said:

I've been under the impression that having cash on the premesis adds a lot to insurance premiums.  I can imagine insurance isnt cheap at the vale.

May not be loads but if its the difference for a quality signing im all for it.

It doesnt seem to affect amazon.

Many years ago banks charged businesses for every line on their statement.

To avoid cash premiums, make deposits daily...... no cash overnight?

8 hours ago, geosname said:

It's a lot easier than you might think

I've never been scammed. I have lost cash on the other hand.

On 03/08/2019 at 09:00, Wrex said:

The government doesn't like cash as it helps builders and small businesses avoid paying tax. Funnily enough the likes of Google and Amazon are 100% online and therefore cashless but the government is happy for them to pay zero tax. Maybe builders could club together and promise well paying jobs to and spend fat sums on 'hospitality' for politicians and top civil servants. Then suddenly we'd start becoming a cash only society.

Both Amazon and Google pay tax over here - not enough, admittedly, but they do pay it...but don't let mere facts get in the way of a dig at the Government! I will use cash as long as I'm able because a: it's too easy for the system to crash or be hacked, and the banks aren't exactly keen to refund money stolen / lost. b: there will always be someone who cannot use a card reader or similar device - see some very good points, above. And C : if it's what the banks want tht's the best reason for not doing it!

Edited by LancyTony
spelling

Going back to the original starting point, there was one till at Colchester that was both cash and card but did you have to buy a card with your cash so you could buy a brew? If so it's not a cashless system

On 03/08/2019 at 09:05, Jacko51 said:

The buskers on the London Underground now have card readers, geo!

So do churches! We went to a wedding last week and the vicar mentioned that they would take the collection as usual, but that there was a tap and go machine at the door for anyone who prefered to use that. If the church of England are moving that way, we know that cash is really on the way out!

When I worked in a shop, a customer tried to buy something with a £50 note. I asked the manager if we were ok to take them and he said that we had to check that they weren't forgery and that to do that I would need to lick it. If it was ok, then it would taste minty. Cue gormless me rubbing my tongue all over a filthy note, looking like an utter chump and a queue of customers laughing at me.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, geosname said:

Do they charge you for drawing money abroad?..... does the machine or the bank who ownes the machine you are using charge?

No and no.  If I use the card to pay for anything it is done at the actual exchange rate for that day with no additional charges.  If I withdraw money from an ATM abroad I get the actually market rate for that day.  Halifax then charge me interest as it is a cash advance but I have the Halifax app on my phone so as soon as I withdraw the cash I simply transfer the equivalent amount from my bank account and never pay interest.  I pay off what I owe every month in full so again, never pay interest.  It's the best card on the market if I want to use one abroad.  It's like having your cash but without the worry of carting it around.

3 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

No and no.  If I use the card to pay for anything it is done at the actual exchange rate for that day with no additional charges.  If I withdraw money from an ATM abroad I get the actually market rate for that day.  Halifax then charge me interest as it is a cash advance but I have the Halifax app on my phone so as soon as I withdraw the cash I simply transfer the equivalent amount from my bank account and never pay interest.  I pay off what I owe every month in full so again, never pay interest.  It's the best card on the market if I want to use one abroad.  It's like having your cash but without the worry of carting it around.

If you used it here the bank would charge you (this end). I have accounts in Chiang mai  if I use my card to draw cash in another district (same bank) they charge...... lots of places surcharge for using credit cards too.

If you think about it, it's hardly likely you will get a 50 in your change and because most establishments are wary about them it would be stupid to forge them, although I don't doubt some may, because they are difficult to get rid of..... 20s 10s and even 5s will pass unnoticed and unchecked so they would be the forgers choice..... that doesn't help if you get landed with them.

500 Euro notes are more convenient to move large sums of money, probably available at discount rates in certain laundries.