Jacko51

No cash at Colchester

22 hours ago, Wrex said:

The government doesn't like cash as it helps builders and small businesses avoid paying tax. Funnily enough the likes of Google and Amazon are 100% online and therefore cashless but the government is happy for them to pay zero tax. Maybe builders could club together and promise well paying jobs to and spend fat sums on 'hospitality' for politicians and top civil servants. Then suddenly we'd start becoming a cash only society.

Probably the biggest load of tripe I’ve ever read

4 minutes ago, CAVALIER said:

Actually it's not that far off the truth....... cash is a problem for controlling money laundering and crime..... and it's yet another way of gathering information.

11 hours ago, Warren said:

Take a big city centre - in my case Liverpool where I spend a lot of time - it is rare anyone uses cash at lunchtime to buy food. In fact its sort of annoying when someone does. I can go weeks without paying in cash for anything except at Port Vale! Cash is very much on the way out.

Where is it going to?..... to phase it out everyone, no matter what their circumstances, would have to be given a bank account.... that's not as simple as it sounds..... banks wouldn't need tellers so massive redundancies and closures, everything being centralised into a data storage facilities which every consumer outlet would have to be hooked up to.... including vending machines, air machines at garages, pay as you enter toilets, arcade and gaming machine, weighing machines, condom machines, charity collection boxes, car boot sellers, fund raising activity...... etc etc etc.

The more access given to cards the more information is likely to be hacked, cloned, lost or misused..... if you don't mind that it's fine but where do you go when it comes back to bite you in the ass.

1 hour ago, CAVALIER said:

Ah right cool. I take it you don't follow politics then.

33 minutes ago, Wrex said:

Ah right cool. I take it you don't follow politics then.

Just because a business deals in cash doesn’t make them tax-evaders. There’s the scope to put some one side but believe me, it’s not that straightforward. As for Google etc, you think the Government are happy and you’re sure they pay no Tax?

Worldwide losses from card fraud rose to $21 billion in 2015, up from about $8 billion in 2010. By 2020, that number is expected to reach $31 billion

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geosname said:

Worldwide losses from card fraud rose to $21 billion in 2015, up from about $8 billion in 2010. By 2020, that number is expected to reach $31 billion

Hi Geo, how does that relate as a %  to total World Trade in card transactions?  Compromise between security costs, ease of use, counterfeiting avoided, etc

2 hours ago, geosname said:

That's about three quid each?

5 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

That's about three quid each?

Until you start excluding all the people who dont use cards..... Bangkok bank came up with a new idea last year..... debit cards..... no other bank has taken it on.

41 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Hi Geo, how does that relate as a %  to total World Trade in card transactions?  Compromise between security costs, ease of use, counterfeiting avoided, etc

No idea mate..... and people who have had their accounts milked probably wont either Fosse. 

It seems to me that quality of life is becoming defined by what you can do sitting on your ass with a phone, an internet connection and a plastic card.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CAVALIER said:

Just because a business deals in cash doesn’t make them tax-evaders. There’s the scope to put some one side but believe me, it’s not that straightforward. As for Google etc, you think the Government are happy and you’re sure they pay no Tax?

Woah woah wish, I wasn't saying that all businesses that are cash only are doing it to evade tax!

Nick Clegg is on a seven (no, not six, but seven) figure salary at Facebook. He's not doing the coding or marketing is he? He is there for his political influence, like many other former and sometimes politicians and top civil servants at these huge multi national corporations are. Facebook paid £15 million tax on their £1 billion UK sales. Not bad going. Yes lawmakers could stop it happening and instill some fairness into the UK tax burden, but it's not in their economic self-interest to do so.

Anyway, this is nothing to do with Port Vale, football or much to do with going cashless, so I'll stop!

55 minutes ago, geosname said:

Until you start excluding all the people who dont use cards..... Bangkok bank came up with a new idea last year..... debit cards..... no other bank has taken it on.

Debit cards?????

6 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Debit cards?????

Antiquated eh...... ATM cards and to a much lesser extent credit cards are the norm here..... if you don't have a credit card you pay cash.

i think having a contactless payment on the turnstyles would be a great idea. Saves queuing for a ticket then joinng another queue to present your ticket. Contactless is so quick, quicker than cash especially if you are wanting change.

3 hours ago, geosname said:

How much losses are incurred through counterfeit cash though? there are ways of getting your money back through credit or debit card fraud. Not so easy when you have counterfeit cash.

• Like 1