Jacko51

No cash at Colchester

36 minutes ago, Howjy04 said:

If you to lend someone a fiver do they need to carry a machine with them ?I’m never without cash.

Can you lend us a fiver?

It's a good point actually. Far more likely to come across a cash ONLY place and I've had to 'lend' friends cash. Refusing to carry cash can probably save you a tidy sum, though not having any on card would save you £20 at Colchester apparently.

The government doesn't like cash as it helps builders and small businesses avoid paying tax. Funnily enough the likes of Google and Amazon are 100% online and therefore cashless but the government is happy for them to pay zero tax. Maybe builders could club together and promise well paying jobs to and spend fat sums on 'hospitality' for politicians and top civil servants. Then suddenly we'd start becoming a cash only society.

5 hours ago, geosname said:

Will card readers be issued to the homeless?

Will charity boxes be swipe enabled?

Will everyone be granted a bank account no matter what their circumstances?

Markets/car boots/street vendors/school fairs/instant reissue of cards on loss...... just a few of the relatively minor problems..... add in the costs of using a card abroad..... rubbish exchange rates/high bank charges/certain cards unacceptable etc.

An old adage...... if a computer can write it it can also rewrite it.

The obvious problem is system failures/power outages/hacks. 

The buskers on the London Underground now have card readers, geo!

6 hours ago, geosname said:

As a matter of principal I'm against anything that allows the mass collection of data.

Geo, I think that was one of the major concerns when 'Banks went electronic back in the 1990s -  the ability for governments to eventually 'centralise' all and every digital transaction.

Apart from the obvious not having enough I've had 3 problems paying cash.

I bought 2 pay as you go phones in Hanley,  paid cash to be told I couldn't have them unless I provided my details.... after some discussion I took the phones without my details.

I purchased some equipment, about £400, same as above, I went to another supplier.

I booked a hotel for 3 days, UK,  arrived paid cash to be told I couldn't have the room if I didn't have a credit card..... another discussion.... they agreed I could have the room if I provided my passport and driving licence... I found another hotel.

If legal tender becomes unacceptable we have problems.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ginge said:

Cash is a thing of the past. Much easier on card.

All well and good but its easy for cards to be scammed.

You've got to ask yourself why changes are made and who benefits. As is usually the case it's big business, banks and those in power who benefit. I have a card but will always pay cash for any in person transactions.

• Like 1

I don’t like the surveillance society and while I’ll pay on card for larger transactions I always have cash on me when out. 

It’s important we keep using cash as if we don’t the freedom to use it will keep ebbing away.

15 minutes ago, portvaleofbelvoir said:

I don’t like the surveillance society and while I’ll pay on card for larger transactions I always have cash on me when out. 

It’s important we keep using cash as if we don’t the freedom to use it will keep ebbing away.

No mobile phone? Access to ATMs is becoming more difficult in rural areas. 

3 hours ago, Howjy04 said:

Can you pay me back by cheque please,Wrex?😉

I know I can still request a cheque book from my bank....... does anyone use cheques?

12 minutes ago, geosname said:

I know I can still request a cheque book from my bank....... does anyone use cheques?

Mother in law does Geo. She has cards but does not do internet . Interesting what someone else said earlier about lack of cash points in Burslem, Lloyds closed their branch which was the last bank or building society in town. As a very elderly person it was her local branch , close enough for her to use independently. Modern technology badly effects that older generation  who never grasped the internet.

3 hours ago, melv said:

All well and good but its easy for cards to be scammed.

Ever tried paying for something with a £50 note? I did the other day, at the barber's where I'd just had a haircut. The lad who cut my hair looked suspiciously at it, then asked his boss 'are we accepting these?' She said yes, but only because she knows me and 'I know where to find you if it's fake'.

Cash is no remedy to fraud, in fact quite the opposite. They estimated at least a third of the old style £1 coins were forgeries.

9 minutes ago, Heatwave said:

Ever tried paying for something with a £50 note? I did the other day, at the barber's where I'd just had a haircut. The lad who cut my hair looked suspiciously at it, then asked his boss 'are we accepting these?' She said yes, but only because she knows me and 'I know where to find you if it's fake'.

Cash is no remedy to fraud, in fact quite the opposite. They estimated at least a third of the old style £1 coins were forgeries.

I dont get £50 notes,cant remember how long ago it was since I last saw one or used one.Dont even get them when I use the cash point to get money out.Cashpoint normally pays out in £10s or £20s.But its well known that these 'contactless cards' can easily be used by someone else stood near by you in a queue.Keeping the card in a RFID wallet can help.My card can be used contactless but Ive not registered it to do so.

Edited by melv

24 minutes ago, Heatwave said:

I use them all the time when in the UK...... insist on them when withdrawing any larger amount (which have to be ordered), request them for smaller amounts if they have them. 10k in 50s is easier to carry than in 10s and 20s..... better exchange rate too.

Although you can get some odd reactions passing them in the UK 

When I travel over, I'm a bit baffled by the number of places that are 'cash only'.

Here in Denmark, I never carry cash, at all. If I can't pay contactless, we use an app called 'MobilePay'. So it takes me back in time when I'm over in the UK, having to walk around with a pocket full of cash, especially when going to any stadium.

4 hours ago, Danish Valiant said:

When I travel over, I'm a bit baffled by the number of places that are 'cash only'.

Here in Denmark, I never carry cash, at all. If I can't pay contactless, we use an app called 'MobilePay'. So it takes me back in time when I'm over in the UK, having to walk around with a pocket full of cash, especially when going to any stadium.

Scandinavia generally seems to be ahead of the game when it comes to cashless payments. We've a lot of catching up to do.

Take a big city centre - in my case Liverpool where I spend a lot of time - it is rare anyone uses cash at lunchtime to buy food. In fact its sort of annoying when someone does. I can go weeks without paying in cash for anything except at Port Vale! Cash is very much on the way out.

Edited by Warren