onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Do we actually want an atmosphere?

smithie

Advert

I think there are a few problems with the Vale crowd. The first is the Railway stand being the main home stand and the Bycars being underused. So at Tranmere Rovers the Bebbington Kop behind the goal holds 6000 in a 16000 seat stadium and has been nearly full as they push for promotion. It creates a tremendous noise including a drummer. The other stands at Tranmere are busy but quieter areas. In comparison I don't like the Railway stand because it inherently mixes incompatible younger drinking fans with older fans. Also, to be blunt Vale has more older fans, so there is an issue with this greater differential in supporter age profile. I guess it is unfair to compare Vale in a time of trouble with Tranmere a much happier club in the moment. But there is an obvious difference in the moment.

I think there are a few problems with the Vale crowd. The first is the Railway stand being the main home stand and the Bycars being underused. So at Tranmere Rovers the Bebbington Kop behind the goal holds 6000 in a 16000 seat stadium and has been nearly full as they push for promotion. It creates a tremendous noise including a drummer. The other stands at Tranmere are busy but quieter areas. In comparison I don't like the Railway stand because it inherently mixes incompatible younger drinking fans with older fans. Also, to be blunt Vale has more older fans, so there is an issue with this greater differential in supporter age profile. I guess it is unfair to compare Vale in a time of trouble with Tranmere a much happier club in the moment. But there is an obvious difference in the moment.

They've got a drummer?

Our's get kicked out!!!

They've got a drummer?

Our's get kicked out!!!

Thereby stands the problem. Obviously the stewards are under orders to curb what they consider rowdy behaviour, and to be honest not everyone wants to experience it when they go to a match.

The obvious solution is to put the more vocal element into a part of the ground where they could make as much noise as they want. For me that would be the Bycars, which is underused and historically was where our nutters went. Problem is, they'd also want to be as close as possible to the away support in the Hamil to get some banter going. Possible solution - finish the Lorne Street Hamil side and give it over to our 'Ultras'. Gorm wouldn't like it as it would (a) cost him money and (b) bring demonstrators closer to his ivory tower, but how about it Carol and Kevin?

Thereby stands the problem. Obviously the stewards are under orders to curb what they consider rowdy behaviour, and to be honest not everyone wants to experience it when they go to a match.

The obvious solution is to put the more vocal element into a part of the ground where they could make as much noise as they want. For me that would be the Bycars, which is underused and historically was where our nutters went. Problem is, they'd also want to be as close as possible to the away support in the Hamil to get some banter going. Possible solution - finish the Lorne Street Hamil side and give it over to our 'Ultras'. Gorm wouldn't like it as it would (a) cost him money and (b) bring demonstrators closer to his ivory tower, but how about it Carol and Kevin?

It would be great to have an official standing area,after all,half of the club's in this league already have them?

Atmosphere will come when the team is playing well.

We have a good, old-fashioned stadium that is suited to an atmosphere.

The lack of buzz around the place is more a result of the shambles of the previous 3 years, as opposed to the current state of football, in my opinion.

A positive takeover, a good summer, and VP will be rocking come August.

Until we either:

1, have incentives to get more fans in.

2, play decent football to gain more fans.

3, close areas of the ground, ie bycars, railway stand to get what fans we have closer to the pitch.

Personally number 3 is the obvious one but with new owners hopefully number 1 will happen.

1 and three should be achievable. I know there are some people who say it's Bycars or bust but it really annoys me how we have to supply the stand for a handful of people. It costs money and spreads fans out.

You don’t need a drummer to make atmosphere. A feel good factor and winning football are the only ways. Every club in the land who are coming way short of what they should be achieving will be the same.

The best atmospheres are pure and not some **** banging on a ******* drum.

Long should it stay away from VP.

Hopefully the takeover will happen and the buzz will be back without some scruff banging away.

You don’t need a drummer to make atmosphere. A feel good factor and winning football are the only ways. Every club in the land who are coming way short of what they should be achieving will be the same.

The best atmospheres are pure and not some **** banging on a ******* drum.

Long should it stay away from VP.

Hopefully the takeover will happen and the buzz will be back without some scruff banging away.

If there's an announcement this week regarding a takeover then just watch and listen to the atmosphere in the away end at Bury on Saturday!!!

Ther only way we will get any type of atmospehere in the ground is obviously first a takeover then the new owners (Whoever they may be) need to take on board reality

1.Up the road is a fellow Football league club with a better fan base and atmosphere along with better facilities and ground.

2.Many Vale fans locally are low paid or not far off low paid and won't pay for a match at £22 per head and walk up prices need to reduce (Excluding those that save religiously for season tickets but work monday to Friday anyway so can go

3.Many Vale fans (Myself included) work various days and shifts so that is why we don't bother with ST's

4.The six match pack offer is sometimes out of reach for people and it would be better to just reduce prices so people can go as and when

5. The current ground is not attractive and people are not attracted anymore to bland grounds. Sell the land, and build a newer stadium for the 2020/21 season that is small compact and capable of enhancing the match day atmosphere

6. 6,000 fans still out there in the woodwork not coming fro various reasons including those above...many will have family members whom could come along as well possibly looking at a potential extra 10,000 fans in a higher league with a better stadium

I went to the Stoke Norwich game with my brother on easter monday...the atmosphere electric and the match day experience is a million miles from Vale...sadly on the day Norwich couldn't win but I still enjoyed it none the less. It is the matchday experience which makes the difference and Vale need to look at this

The only match day experience needed is 11 lads playing with 110% effort with crunching tackles trying to play good football winning more than they are losing.

The players have to give fans something to shout about at home then the atmosphere will come along with more fans.

On season ticket prices massive hike in cost for 18 year olds to £255 from £145, bringing in line with OAP costs.

At 18 many are now in college / university or on apprenticeship/minimum wage work but may well be expected to pay for themselves.

This is a key age when younger fans are drifting away as they have better things to spend their money on, and may then be lost for good. It is also an age group we could be targeting via the Universities to attract some football mad students living at Keene / Staffs Uni for 3 years.

For me should be priced the same as the 12-17 year olds (£145) - as a minimum for those in full time education. This is what happens at most other clubs

Ther only way we will get any type of atmospehere in the ground is obviously first a takeover then the new owners (Whoever they may be) need to take on board reality

1.Up the road is a fellow Football league club with a better fan base and atmosphere along with better facilities and ground.

2.Many Vale fans locally are low paid or not far off low paid and won't pay for a match at £22 per head and walk up prices need to reduce (Excluding those that save religiously for season tickets but work monday to Friday anyway so can go

3.Many Vale fans (Myself included) work various days and shifts so that is why we don't bother with ST's

4.The six match pack offer is sometimes out of reach for people and it would be better to just reduce prices so people can go as and when

5. The current ground is not attractive and people are not attracted anymore to bland grounds. Sell the land, and build a newer stadium for the 2020/21 season that is small compact and capable of enhancing the match day atmosphere

6. 6,000 fans still out there in the woodwork not coming fro various reasons including those above...many will have family members whom could come along as well possibly looking at a potential extra 10,000 fans in a higher league with a better stadium

I went to the Stoke Norwich game with my brother on easter monday...the atmosphere electric and the match day experience is a million miles from Vale...sadly on the day Norwich couldn't win but I still enjoyed it none the less. It is the matchday experience which makes the difference and Vale need to look at this

I know it has been bad on the pitch for three seasons and bad off the pitch for what seems like a decade in ownership terms. But I travel a long way over a season to come and watch Port Vale at home, and generally that's because it has something about it as a lower league club.

I am able to watch much higher level football than Vale - been to Liverpool twice this season and the Camp Nou to watch Barcelona. Plus all the TV footie I watch. I like this sort of mix.

I have to say, talking to my friends who support top tier clubs including Liverpool, Man Utd and Everton, there is pretty much a universal loathing of Stoke City supporters. That strikes a cord with why I gave up watching Stoke 35 years ago and only watch Vale in the Potteries since. There used to be a vile atmosphere at Stoke, including stoning away fans in and outside the old Victoria ground. And the true nature of a lot of that support was revealed at Vale Park earlier this season. I guess I have to accept that Vale has some adverse fans, but obviously not on the same scale.

Archived