onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Do we actually want an atmosphere?

smithie

Today I witnessed a really sad episode in the Railway Stand.

Three or four guys (possibly had a beer before the game) stood to the right side of the stand and attempted to get some noise and singing going. Shock horror they even banged a fence to make some noise. A lady sat nearby shouted over to them to stop (yes, really) after which they were thrown out, to the cheers of other Vale fans. The result? A silent stand.

It's generally accepted that any singing is generated in that corner and these lads are there every home game. Their singing is terrible but so what? They make an effort while all around people sit in silence. The woman in question objected to them making a noise but saw no problem in effing and blinding in front of her son. She could have moved (or joined in the attempt to get some singing going) but no. She was offended by the noise being made at a football match.

And the people who cheered the lads removal? Did they show them how to do it? No, silence was preferred. That should help the team.

I'm actually embarrassed to be a Vale fan after that. I despair at the way our support has gone this way.

Advert

I didn't know what all the fuss was about as I was at the other end of the Paddock but you have a valid point about the lack of noise in some home games. There's more atmosphere on the moon.

It's like a library at times apart from the booing when Monty let the ball run under his foot.

I suppose you could argue that if the players gave 100% and got stuck in and fought like tigers it would get the crowd going but apart from ten minutes in the second half we were poor today and everyone seemed resigned to losing the game.

The games gone seriously

To be honest mate that incident today was far more troubling than the result. To see rank-and-file fans turfed out (and their ejection cheered) was a stark reminder how the game has indeed gone.

The next generation of fans will be mere silent observers/customers who in turn will look askance at anybody daring to make some noise.

A really sad day I'm afraid.

Whole thing was pathetic, I was the other side of the stairs to it all trying to watch the game and as soon as the police and stewards came up idiots just had to come across who are not involved to get a bit in.

The woman was a disgrace with her language and again no real reason to do it, don’t like the banging move surely? It’s a football ground in the UK not the USA with their quiet zones and the Paddock down that end is generally where the louder fans sit.

Felt for the stewards and Police who were trying to diffuse what was a completely pointless episode to have the local idiots pile in.

I do wonder sometimes what goes on in some people’s heads.

Until we either:

1, have incentives to get more fans in.

2, play decent football to gain more fans.

3, close areas of the ground, ie bycars, railway stand to get what fans we have closer to the pitch.

Personally number 3 is the obvious one but with new owners hopefully number 1 will happen.

Number 3 solution would see more friction between our placid customers and the few people we have who want to create an atmosphere. This comes back to what happened today.... anyone offended by a bit of noise could have moved but instead the noise makers were ejected. Absurd.

Number 3 solution would see more friction between our placid customers and the few people we have who want to create an atmosphere. This comes back to what happened today.... anyone offended by a bit of noise could have moved but instead the noise makers were ejected. Absurd.

To be honest I was sitting in the next block and I'm all for generating an atmosphere but what those two guys were doing was not generating an atmosphere, it was just a constant banging of the hoardings in a sporadic manner. No atmosphere could be made from what they were doing.

To be honest I was sitting in the next block and I'm all for generating an atmosphere but what those two guys were doing was not generating an atmosphere, it was just a constant banging of the hoardings in a sporadic manner. No atmosphere could be made from what they were doing.

I'll put the word out. Rhythmic banging or keep quiet.

Absolutely unbelievable.

Stevenage manager Sino Maamria praised his players for silencing the partisan home crowd and said"It is always difficult to come up here,their fans get behind them quite a bit"?

Stevenage didn't silence the home crowd, some Vale "fans" did.

To be honest mate that incident today was far more troubling than the result. To see rank-and-file fans turfed out (and their ejection cheered) was a stark reminder how the game has indeed gone.

The next generation of fans will be mere silent observers/customers who in turn will look askance at anybody daring to make some noise.

A really sad day I'm afraid.

Any one for a Prawn sandwich ?

Archived