onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Extinction Rebellion versus brexit

Valiant62

Bizarre to see climate change denial from Potteries folk considering that 100 years or so ago in this very city one could barely breathe due to the smoke from the pottery kilns and industry. Lots of my ancestors died from lung diseases.

The pollution was killing the human population so how the hell anyone can say it had no effect on the environment itself is beyond me. Maybe because of the advances we've had, catalytic converters and the like, that have made the pollution less visible. Perhaps it's a case of "I can't see it with my eyes therefore it doesn't exist".

That's without going into the scientific evidence of course. I'm just going on good old "common sense". I can't accept that there are people out there that genuinely believe that pumping millions/billions of tonnes of gases into the air over a period of decades/centuries all across the globe has no effect on the climate.

I mean do people not understand that the Amazon rainforest is a fraction of what is was? Do they not appreciate that until relatively recently North America was covered with forests and plains? It's only a few hundred years ago that bison roamed the great plains in almost unimaginable numbers. Now they're near threatened. Passenger pigeons used to make the sky black with their weight of numbers. Now they're extinct. This is entirely due to human activity. This is fact. This is recorded history. Recent history, not in some dusty Latin text written thousands of years ago.

Hell, how long ago was the BP oil spill? 5 million barrels of oil spilt into the ocean. That was an accident. A tiny fraction of what we use every year. That wasn't meant to go into the ocean but it was meant to be refined and used. The consequences of which are gases released into the air. Gases traped in oil miles beneath the ground released into the atmosphere i.e. the envelope of gases surrounding the earth or another planet. The atmosphere as in that place where clouds are, where rain comes from, that protects us from the deadly radiation from the Sun whilst simultaneously trapping the heat of the Sun so that we don't freeze to death at night or melt in the day. Try living on Venus if you think a planet's atmosphere doesn't matter much (twice as far from the Sun as Neptune but three times as hot).

People know all this and then still say "oh yeah scientists are all on the take", "it's all about politicians trying make a few quid off the poor oil/coal/gas industry", "damn those hippies and tree huggers with their made up lies". Come on for ***** sake, get a clue. I'm not an environmentalist, I frankly couldn't give much of a toss if in 100 years the sea levels are 50m higher and future generations are cursing us for ruining their planet. I'll be long dead by then, it's their problem more than ours. I just wanted to point out to all the climate change deniers how ******* dumb you sound to the rest of us, that's all. I mean in a turkeys voting for Christmas analogy then the oil executives and lobbyists are Bernard Matthews and the slaughter men ******* themselves laughing at climate change deniers, who are the turkeys going round telling their mates that Christmas dinner is a conspiracy theory out forward by hippy scientist turkeys.

What's the alternative?

Advert

Creating harmful emissions...... burning fossil fuels..... nuclear...... animal farming... causing the damage?

Ah, well clean energy, responsible shopping, trying to reduce our carbon footprint, things like that. Asking politicians to make sensible policies.

I think we're doing okay as a country, and it's a bit of a drop in the ocean compared to the rest of the world. I think someone earlier pointed out that we industrialised long ago, so it's a bit hypocritical of us to expect the likes of China and India to but the environment ahead of their own 'progress', and then America elect Trump who doesn't care about the environment whatsoever.

Anyway, back to what we can do... Just the little things really, they add up to be big things. Don't have to give up the car and cycle everywhere, though that would improve your health. But when it comes to getting a new car take the emitions into account, get the fuel efficient car over the Chelsea tractor - cheaper as well. Go on the coach to away games instead of driving yourself. Holiday in England instead of flying abroad. Being conscious of buying things that cause damage, you have to do research on it.

As for nuclear that's a whole other issue. Pretty clean stuff except you're left with a small amount of radioactive waste that you can't get rid of and need out miles underground or somewhere where it can't cause much damage. Only a small amount of waste mind but like I said the little things add up to a lot on a bigger scale :(

Ah, well clean energy, responsible shopping, trying to reduce our carbon footprint, things like that. Asking politicians to make sensible policies.

I think we're doing okay as a country, and it's a bit of a drop in the ocean compared to the rest of the world. I think someone earlier pointed out that we industrialised long ago, so it's a bit hypocritical of us to expect the likes of China and India to but the environment ahead of their own 'progress', and then America elect Trump who doesn't care about the environment whatsoever.

Anyway, back to what we can do... Just the little things really, they add up to be big things. Don't have to give up the car and cycle everywhere, though that would improve your health. But when it comes to getting a new car take the emitions into account, get the fuel efficient car over the Chelsea tractor - cheaper as well. Go on the coach to away games instead of driving yourself. Holiday in England instead of flying abroad. Being conscious of buying things that cause damage, you have to do research on it.

As for nuclear that's a whole other issue. Pretty clean stuff except you're left with a small amount of radioactive waste that you can't get rid of and need out miles underground or somewhere where it can't cause much damage. Only a small amount of waste mind but like I said the little things add up to a lot on a bigger scale :(

What you suggest would have an impact... the economic impact would create problems of there own.

I doubt that if we created wind farms on every spare inch of land it would create enough power..... even if we include wave and solar it would still fall short.

How many plastic bags would the average person have to refuse to cover the cost of transport for the goods they are buying?

Until we find an energy source that has zero impact it's a delaying tactic reducing yearly by the increase of population, demand and expectation.

It could, and I suggest would, create an even larger split in societies, as politicians, business people and the rich continue to travel freely in their choice of transport under the guise of necessity.... everyone being equal but some more equal than others...

The green new deal being sold by the left in America would decimate their economy.... yet politicians jump on the bandwagon to try to get elected.

Saving the planet is a great idea..... sadly that's all it is.... to be effective it would need major changes to life as we know it now.

Bizarre to see climate change denial from Potteries folk considering that 100 years or so ago in this very city one could barely breathe due to the smoke from the pottery kilns and industry. Lots of my ancestors died from lung diseases.

The pollution was killing the human population so how the hell anyone can say it had no effect on the environment itself is beyond me. Maybe because of the advances we've had, catalytic converters and the like, that have made the pollution less visible. Perhaps it's a case of "I can't see it with my eyes therefore it doesn't exist".

That's without going into the scientific evidence of course. I'm just going on good old "common sense". I can't accept that there are people out there that genuinely believe that pumping millions/billions of tonnes of gases into the air over a period of decades/centuries all across the globe has no effect on the climate.

I mean do people not understand that the Amazon rainforest is a fraction of what is was? Do they not appreciate that until relatively recently North America was covered with forests and plains? It's only a few hundred years ago that bison roamed the great plains in almost unimaginable numbers. Now they're near threatened. Passenger pigeons used to make the sky black with their weight of numbers. Now they're extinct. This is entirely due to human activity. This is fact. This is recorded history. Recent history, not in some dusty Latin text written thousands of years ago.

Hell, how long ago was the BP oil spill? 5 million barrels of oil spilt into the ocean. That was an accident. A tiny fraction of what we use every year. That wasn't meant to go into the ocean but it was meant to be refined and used. The consequences of which are gases released into the air. Gases traped in oil miles beneath the ground released into the atmosphere i.e. the envelope of gases surrounding the earth or another planet. The atmosphere as in that place where clouds are, where rain comes from, that protects us from the deadly radiation from the Sun whilst simultaneously trapping the heat of the Sun so that we don't freeze to death at night or melt in the day. Try living on Venus if you think a planet's atmosphere doesn't matter much (twice as far from the Sun as Neptune but three times as hot).

People know all this and then still say "oh yeah scientists are all on the take", "it's all about politicians trying make a few quid off the poor oil/coal/gas industry", "damn those hippies and tree huggers with their made up lies". Come on for ***** sake, get a clue. I'm not an environmentalist, I frankly couldn't give much of a toss if in 100 years the sea levels are 50m higher and future generations are cursing us for ruining their planet. I'll be long dead by then, it's their problem more than ours. I just wanted to point out to all the climate change deniers how ******* dumb you sound to the rest of us, that's all. I mean in a turkeys voting for Christmas analogy then the oil executives and lobbyists are Bernard Matthews and the slaughter men ******* themselves laughing at climate change deniers, who are the turkeys going round telling their mates that Christmas dinner is a conspiracy theory out forward by hippy scientist turkeys.

The pollution you describe above and man caused global warming/climate change are two different subjects.

Virtually everyone wants to reduce pollution on the planet, many Climate Scientists don't believe in the theory of man made carbon dioxide induced global warming, unfortunately many politicians and the media now do and it has become an uncontrolled, irrational dogma.

Carbon Dioxide is not a pollutant, it is essential for life on earth. Water vapor/clouds exhibit a much more powerful green house effect than carbon dioxide and water vapor/cloud is much more abundant in the atmosphere than Carbon Dioxide or any other greenhouse gas.

I'll get me tin hat......again.

• 3 weeks later...

Only gloom and doom comes out of politicians and the media about carbon dioxide and climate change and hardly ever is the other side of the story told.

Below are two easy to listen to and easy to understand videos with a different view of climate change and atmospheric carbon dioxide levels. One is by Prof. William Happer (Physicist) from Princeton Uni. and the other by Patrick Moore (PhD in Ecology), a co-founder of Greenpeace who re-signed due to the organisation being "taken over" by in his words "Anti-humans".

• 3 weeks later...

The reasoning is quite simple......

Stop power production, ban cars and planes, get rid of farting animals and the world will be saved....? Would you want to live in it?...... no electricity..... no transport..... no meat...... WOW sounds wonderful.

How much glass do humans produce on a vegetable diet?..... can we get rid of them too?

Archived