onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Extinction Rebellion versus brexit

Valiant62

Advert

If you ditch the hyperbole there is a sane point of view I believe even myself and Paul6754 could agree on. Just. Problem is it has become a sort of religion, rather than matter of fact. It is far too important a matter for this. But in the world we now live in rational debate and decision making does not exist.

Hyperbole, dogma, image is everything. Rational careful discussion counts for nothing.

So it’s not that serious?

It is very serious. Just not possible to have a sensible conversation about it. So I don't try (I'm a lecturer in Chemistry at the University of Amsterdam so I completely get the science but have no vested interest in the debate either way). And find arguments on both sides ridiculous. And my fundamental point is that there should not be "sides". Science is not black or white. Never has been, never will be.

Not going to affect me, I'll be long gone when the **** really hits the fan. Depends on the scope of your horizons how much you should care.

What to do when the cure is worse than the illness?

Short term cure to cure long term illness. Simple, stop pumping **** loads of CO2 into the atmosphere. This is the way things are actually heading at the moment anyway to be honest for economic reasons. All my electricity comes from wind (North Sea, not mine). Countries like China and India are cutting down on coal/oil because of air pollution problems. Things are actually heading in the right direction for reasons other than climate change per se.

I believe CO2 emissions last year were at 2016 levels, despite increased industrialization. There is no quick fix with this though. heading in the right direction is the best to expect.

Short term cure to cure long term illness. Simple, stop pumping **** loads of CO2 into the atmosphere. This is the way things are actually heading at the moment anyway to be honest for economic reasons. All my electricity comes from wind (North Sea, not mine). Countries like China and India are cutting down on coal/oil because of air pollution problems. Things are actually heading in the right direction for reasons other than climate change per se.

I believe CO2 emissions last year were at 2016 levels, despite increased industrialization. There is no quick fix with this though. heading in the right direction is the best to expect.

I don't disagree with any of that mate...... it's the things like the green new deal that people buy into that disturb me a little.

And we can get on with collectively burying our heads in the sand about climate breakdown.

Not being part of Extinction Rebellion does NOT mean being dismissive of climate change! Some of us protest to our MPs and Councillors, and to Big Business about decisions that are made with scant regard to climate change and the environment. Some of us adapt our lifestyles so we have as little adverse impact as possible. We don't need to join a disruptive rabble whose aims are vague and questionable, and whose actions may have the opposite effect to these aims? e.g - Emma Thompson is said to have flown several thousand miles to join the protest - but, that's ok because she's a high-profile luvvy, not a family taking their family on a well-deserved break. For all we know, ER could just be another bunch of Leftie anarchists, whose brief is to disrupt the country in any way possible? - like the Occupy lot.

Archived