onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Extinction Rebellion versus brexit

Valiant62

Advert

I suppose the responsibility is individual, national and global. The private jet thing is a bit err rich, I agree but it also points up the need for system change because we all act in the world as it is now to a greater or lesser extent and burying our heads in the sand because we can be charged with hypocracy doesn’t really help. I think the citizens’ assembly aspect is key because this is a forum where the impacts of changing the economy can be thrashed out fairly in the light of good i formation. For example, wrt flying, 70% of the total number of flights are taken by just 15% of the population while 57% of the population took no flights abroad at all in 2013 . For leisure flights from Edinburgh airport in 2013 the average income of passengers was twice the national average. Why should a relatively small number of rich people be allowed to take advantage of a global environment that belongs to all of us and have vat and fuel duty exemptions as we do in the UK?

Meanwhile, we’re told the problem is hippies who want us all to live in caves.. “the enemy” here isn’t the hippies, it’s the weather and a rigged system.

What us Brits can do according to the Committee on Climate Change:-

Walk,cycle or take a bus to work.

Cut beef,lamb and dairy consumption by 20%.

Fly less and replace short-haul flights with trains,cut long haul.

Use only peat-free compost.

Ban sale of petrol,diesel cars in 2030 and go electric.

Replace gas boilers with heat pumps,which efficiently transfers thermal energy.

Insulate home;Use LED light bulbs;cap thermostats at 19C and water temp at 55C.

Cut food waste and reduce,reuse or recycle other waste.

Buy quality products to last;repair before replacing;share items like power tools.

V62, Because it just isn't true, another politician inspired mess. These demonstrators are nuts, they truly are barking up the wrong tree. Sad to say this whole nonsense is initially the result of corrupt climate scientists trying to make a name for themselves, falsifying and altering data to suit their agenda and then politicians getting involved looking for a cause to further their careers, eg Al Gore. Even Al Gore has backed down from the notion of Global warming and he was awarded the Nobel Prize for his involvement.

The concept of global warming was changed to Climate Change 'cause their ain't no global warming and the laughable thing is the climate is and has always changed. The largest influence on the variation of the Earth's climate is the big yellow thing called the sun not carbon Dioxide which is only present in the earth's atmosphere in minute quantities, Carbon Dioxide is not even the greenhouse gas most prevalent in the earth's atmosphere, the most prevalent greenhouse "gas" is Water vapor and most of that come from the sea!!

Man isn't even responsible for most of the carbon Dioxide in the atmosphere, it originates from the sea and animals. There is no valid correlation whatsoever between increasing carbon dioxide level and temperature increase, the only correlations in the scientific literature have been shown to be falsified.

What's sad and paradoxical about this whole subject is poor nations who wish to develop are being urged to use wind and solar generated energy to produce electricity but it's 3 times the price of "Fossil fuel" produced electricity and continents like Africa are rich in coal reserves hence their development is being slowed and these demonstators are the very same people who would go apoplectic about that.

I'm all for generating and using new ways to make energy and conserving fossil fuels 'cause they're so important. If Carbon Dioxide levels fall below something like 170 parts per million then life on earth becomes unsustainable. Apols for the rant.

I can't believe that anyone could type, let alone potentially believe these things. Do some proper research, apply some common sense and have a re-think

I can't believe that anyone could type, let alone potentially believe these things. Do some proper research, apply some common sense and have a re-think

I totally agree.

I don't mind giving up my peat compost but there's no way I'm sharing my Spear & Jackson pole hedge trimmer with anyone.

It's just not on,who's the chairman of this committee?

What us Brits can do according to the Committee on Climate Change:-

Walk,cycle or take a bus to work.

Cut beef,lamb and dairy consumption by 20%.

Fly less and replace short-haul flights with trains,cut long haul.

Use only peat-free compost.

Ban sale of petrol,diesel cars in 2030 and go electric.

Replace gas boilers with heat pumps,which efficiently transfers thermal energy.

Insulate home;Use LED light bulbs;cap thermostats at 19C and water temp at 55C.

Cut food waste and reduce,reuse or recycle other waste.

Buy quality products to last;repair before replacing;share items like power tools.

If I lived in the UK my responses would be as follows..... line by line...

I lived 80+ miles away from where I worked..... not appropriate..... as the retirement age gets pushed higher do we want older workers on bikes?

Not a hope in hell, I'm a carnivore.

No flights for Euro MPs and I may consider it..... better still no flights or cars for MPs

How do we generate enough electricity?

Government or industry funded?

19c is far to cold.

Sell smaller portions of pre packed food.

I spend my money on what I want to buy, I won't waste it buying a snap on spanner I will only use once..?. As for sharing, buy your own,

As I don't live in the UK my response is this.

You can't get anywhere here unless you fly or drive...... cycling in 50c temperatures is not advisable.

Almost nothing is discarded in my house...... almost everything is either reused or recycled..... the minimal amount of food waste is used as animal feed..... bones are fed to the stray dogs..... garbage is collected weekly and is less than half a carrier bag and is sifted by the collectors..... why?...... because people come and buy it...... metal, glass, paper and card, food, scrap......etc........all have their price and people make money from it.

As I don't live in the UK my response is this.

You can't get anywhere here unless you fly or drive...... cycling in 50c temperatures is not advisable.

Almost nothing is discarded in my house...... almost everything is either reused or recycled..... the minimal amount of food waste is used as animal feed..... bones are fed to the stray dogs..... garbage is collected weekly and is less than half a carrier bag and is sifted by the collectors..... why?...... because people come and buy it...... metal, glass, paper and card, food, scrap......etc........all have their price and people make money from it.

Do you have the menace of the plastic shopping bags in your neck of the woods Geo?

Mrs AR and me refuse to use them choosing instead reusable canvas ones.

Do you have the menace of the plastic shopping bags in your neck of the woods Geo?

Mrs AR and me refuse to use them choosing instead reusable canvas ones.

Unfortunately we do mate..... some of the supermarkets have a no bag day, basically they don't give you a bag at all, which I don't mind, but it's always a midweek and footfall seems to drop off..... none do a bag for life type offer and none do paper bags which could be used for many purposes.

Plastic bags are a huge part of daily life here...... street vendors use them for food and drinks along with a plastic straw.

If the UK wants to make a serious statement and commitment they should ban plastic bags completely........ it seems strikingly obvious that anything done has to be at the cost to the consumer not to the businesses that overuse plastic.... cut off the head and the body withers.

Go back a few years to paper bags, not ideal but degradable and reusable,.... go back to glass bottles, again not ideal but as above...... don't charge the customer for a bag charge the businesses that offer them and stop them passing it on..... put the companies who manufacture them out of business..... sorry bit of a rant

Unfortunately we do mate..... some of the supermarkets have a no bag day, basically they don't give you a bag at all, which I don't mind, but it's always a midweek and footfall seems to drop off..... none do a bag for life type offer and none do paper bags which could be used for many purposes.

Plastic bags are a huge part of daily life here...... street vendors use them for food and drinks along with a plastic straw.

If the UK wants to make a serious statement and commitment they should ban plastic bags completely........ it seems strikingly obvious that anything done has to be at the cost to the consumer not to the businesses that overuse plastic.... cut off the head and the body withers.

Go back a few years to paper bags, not ideal but degradable and reusable,.... go back to glass bottles, again not ideal but as above...... don't charge the customer for a bag charge the businesses that offer them and stop them passing it on..... put the companies who manufacture them out of business..... sorry bit of a rant

Dare I say that population,vehicle control might help?

Cheers Geo,

The supermarkets used to supply the plastic bags free; then pretended to commit to climate change by saying plastic bags were no available; but then did an about turn by saying should you ask for them a 15c charge per bag will apply.

It is my view that politicians by and large pay lip service to climate change issues when in government. It's only when in opposition do they bang the climate change drums.

If you explained what you meant I could possibly comment

Well I know it's perhaps a bit controversial,but if ever someone decided to control immigration wouldn't it reduce the numbers of people coming into the country. This would automatically reduce the amount of vehicles coming on to our roads.

Wouldn't that help climate change?

Tin hat already on.😉

Well I know it's perhaps a bit controversial,but if ever someone decided to control immigration wouldn't it reduce the numbers of people coming into the country. This would automatically reduce the amount of vehicles coming on to our roads.

Wouldn't that help climate change?

Tin hat already on.😉

I doubt people's whereabouts affects change much...... the ideal would be to reduce the number of people globally.... reducing the number of people by 50% would reduce everything.... by 75% would render Twitter and Facebook useless, no one to talk to, no phone chargers...... watch some energy wasting scientist find a magic bullet cure for everything.

Archived