onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Extinction Rebellion versus brexit

Valiant62

Advert

Think of all the money saved by not being in the EU

I'm thinking of a negative number.

monies that could go towards the government subsidising motorists use of Electric cars or converting to electric.

Yeah like that's going to happen. Maybe the money will get spent on the NHS as well.

Diesel and Petrol use both need to be eradicated. Then we may see less war

That's a lovely thought.

In this era of 'enough of experts' and people with little/no knowledge having opinions treated with full credence, its not a surprise to see such a bizarre and frustrating debate.

Fundamentally, it should be permissible to say to the likes of Paul that due to the insurmountable evidence from people who have devoted their lives to the area, he is objectively wrong, and Doha is objectively right.

Paul should then say "yes, I am wrong", and we move on.

Instead, its this optional ignorance to facilitate bizarre viewpoints (largely fuelled by questionable internet sources as opposed to blokes/women with PhDs).

Paul mate, I'd say you were entitled to your opinion, but it'd be like being entitled to the opinion that the planet earth doesn't revolves around the sun. Its a blatantly incorrect opinion.

Its this sort of thinking thats led to Brexit and Trump. "People more intelligent/knowledgeable than me aren't to be trusted, me and my 30 seconds of thinking is sufficient to form an opinion, as opposed to an academic journal". Genuine concerns about the economy from literal economists were swept under the rug as "Project Fear" by people who struggle to win games of monopoly, let alone understand the complexities of global economics in a trade-heavy and globalised world.

Just sick of it to be honest. Listen to the clever people, ffs.

I just get fed up with the lack of rational discussion on the subject so don't bother anymore. Depressing. It's just the usual modern thing of who shouts the loudest gets heard and believed. Regardless of the fact they are talking rubbish.

If Pau16754 wants to keep pumping CO2 into the atmosphere, thinking that is a good idea and shouting about it, then carry on.

I'll be dead before the **** really hits the fan. So not my problem anyway.

In this era of 'enough of experts' and people with little/no knowledge having opinions treated with full credence, its not a surprise to see such a bizarre and frustrating debate.

This post is about as silly as it can get, you have no idea of me as a person, my level of education, my life but you make a sarcastic, narcissistic post implying I don't know what I'm talking about when the exact opposite is true.

The problem with Man Made Global warming is it's achieved quasi-religious status, no one dare have a different view from the dogma without being called names, their education level challenged even their right to have an opinion but we're now accustomed to these types of actions from the left.

Fundamentally, it should be permissible to say to the likes of Paul that due to the insurmountable evidence from people who have devoted their lives to the area, he is objectively wrong, and Doha is objectively right.

Paul should then say "yes, I am wrong", and we move on.

Instead, its this optional ignorance to facilitate bizarre viewpoints (largely fuelled by questionable internet sources as opposed to blokes/women with PhDs).

Hagid, I am a very down to earth person, I do not brag about my qualifications or lack of them, what I've done or not done in life but my University qualifications are as high as one can get, read what I posted a few posts back in response to a similar attack.

My scientific interests are in drug discovery/organic chemistry, particularly QSAR, molecular structure, reactions and interactions etc so I'm eminently qualified to talk about the structure and chemistry of the greenhouse gases and question the idea of CO2 induced global warming and the scientific method. I hope it's beginning to dawn on you just how stupid the comments in your post #95 are.

I have no idea who Doha is, I guess he has a background in IT but he's obviously copying and pasting articles he either hasn't read or doesn't understand or both. This is exemplified in him posting about oxygen and carbon dioxide having a dipole moment which even a 12 year old these days interested in chemistry would know is wrong.

However Doha, Toyah, Al Gore and the others may be correct about man made global warming only time will tell but I, as well as many other chemists, physicists and climate change scientists, remain skeptical until data become available to persuade me otherwise. IMHO, the whole field on Climate Science needs a reset.

Hagrid, If you wish to accept the dogma and what the politicians and media tell you then just keep truckin'.

Paul mate, I'd say you were entitled to your opinion, but it'd be like being entitled to the opinion that the planet earth doesn't revolves around the sun. Its a blatantly incorrect opinion.

The occurrence of hot spots on the sun are one of few natural events which have been shown to correlate with climate change. Don't you think it make sense that the sun drives the Earth's climate rather than a tiny, tiny amount of a CO2 pumped into the atmosphere by man. It's arrogant to even think man can control the climate in this way, we never have and never will, there is no evidence whatsoever that CO2 drives large temperature increase.

Its this sort of thinking thats led to Brexit and Trump. "People more intelligent/knowledgeable than me aren't to be trusted, me and my 30 seconds of thinking is sufficient to form an opinion, as opposed to an academic journal". Genuine concerns about the economy from literal economists were swept under the rug as "Project Fear" by people who struggle to win games of monopoly, let alone understand the complexities of global economics in a trade-heavy and globalised world.

Just sick of it to be honest. Listen to the clever people, ffs.

Let's stick to Global warming. I don't consider Al Gore an expert or a clever person, I become forever distrusting of climate scientists or any scientist who manipulate data to suit an agenda, it's more common than you realize. I very much doubt that any person outside the field of climate change has the time or inclination to read and review the millions of articles on the subject so most people rely on reviews and abstracts on the internet.

However, I can direct you to the The Chemical Abstract Service (CAS) based in Columbus, Ohio where an abstract of every article from virtually every "sound" scientific journal in almost every field of science and every relevant chemical/biological patent is stored and available electronically if you are prepared to pay for access, it literally is the largest book on the planet. I would advise you not to bother.

Incidentally Columbus, Ohio, USA was one of the places I was offered a Research Fellowship to work for one of the most brilliant organic chemists of his day, I turned it down, I wanted a job to earn some money, I came from a council estate.

There was really no need for a post like #95, I suggest you think before you key tap.

I just get fed up with the lack of rational discussion on the subject so don't bother anymore. Depressing. It's just the usual modern thing of who shouts the loudest gets heard and believed. Regardless of the fact they are talking rubbish.

If Pau16754 wants to keep pumping CO2 into the atmosphere, thinking that is a good idea and shouting about it, then carry on.

I'll be dead before the **** really hits the fan. So not my problem anyway.

The only rubbish and lack of rational discussion on this this thread has been from you, your statement that there is a 100% correlation between CO2 and the earths' temperature is about as irrational as it gets and coming from a lecturer at a University frankly beyond belief.

Pumping CO2 into the atmosphere may not be such a bad thing, your tulip growers pump it into their greenhouses to grow beautiful, healthy and larger plants.

The climate has always changed, man will adapt just has he's done for millions of years.

The climate has always changed, man will adapt just has he's done for millions of years.

Unless you're conflating "man" with our primate ancestors, man hasn't existed anywhere near 'millions of years'.

If you could provide some of the titles of journals/authors of these articles from the CAS I would be appreciative.

Is there something that makes the CAS more trustworthy than other other climate change scientists, or do you just like them as they share your opinion?

Unless you're conflating "man" with our primate ancestors, man hasn't existed anywhere near 'millions of years'.

So no apology for your poor judgement.

Whether it be man or our evolutionary ancestors doesn't matter.

If you could provide some of the titles of journals/authors of these articles from the CAS I would be appreciative.

I'm sure you would but you can do exactly the same as I and that's pay for a Subscription etc to the Chemical Abstracts Service and then do the search, read the abstracts and decide which of the original articles you wish to read, then download the articles from the internet, some of them you will have to pay for some of them may be free.

Since you've developed an interest I'll paste a link for your convenience, but I'll warn you it is run by the American Chemical Society, the great Satan of the world in your eyes. Without CAS the world of science today would hardly, if at all, be able to function, it is a magnificent resource.

https://www.cas.org/about

I am retired so don't have access to CAS anymore.

Is there something that makes the CAS more trustworthy than other other climate change scientists, or do you just like them as they share your opinion?

Hagrid, Please you're making yourself look stupid now on a number of fronts, give over.

So no apology for your poor judgement.

Whether it be man or our evolutionary ancestors doesn't matter.

I'm sure you would but you can do exactly the same as I and that's pay for a Subscription etc to the Chemical Abstracts Service and then do the search, read the abstracts and decide which of the original articles you wish to read, then download the articles from the internet, some of them you will have to pay for some of them may be free.

Since you've developed an interest I'll paste a link for your convenience, but I'll warn you it is run by the American Chemical Society, the great Satan of the world in your eyes. Without CAS the world of science today would hardly, if at all, be able to function, it is a magnificent resource.

https://www.cas.org/about

I am retired so don't have access to CAS anymore.

Hagrid, Please you're making yourself look stupid now on a number of fronts, give over.

What am I apologising for? That you didn't know that humans have existed for a few hundred thousand years?

I've asked for some names of scientists/article titles. You clearly know far more than me, so I was hoping for a starting place. I have access to academic databases. I was willing to give some of them a read. Instead I receive some sanctimonious comments and zero names/titles.

Literally got no opinion on CAS.

I'll ask again; why is the work published by CAS (by scientists) more reliable than work published in other academic journals (also by scientists), which explicitly and unequivocally states that humans are impacting the climate in a negative way?

Please; give me some names of scientists, journals, articles so I can have a read.

What am I apologising for? That you didn't know that humans have existed for a few hundred thousand years?

Poor judgement.

Humans and their ancestors have been around for millions of years.

I've asked for some names of scientists/article titles. You clearly know far more than me, so I was hoping for a starting place. I have access to academic databases. I was willing to give some of them a read. Instead I receive some sanctimonious comments and zero names/titles.

Do a search on the internet, you will find abstacts, probably some original papers, videos of Scientists pro and con Man Made Global Warming, videos of Nobel Laureates giving presentations at Climate Change Conferences, the whole 10 yards.

Try Michael Mann, Judith Curry, Patrick Moore (Former founder of Greenpeace), People at NASA, NOOA etc.

Literally got no opinion on CAS.

Then why give one.

I'll ask again; why is the work published by CAS (by scientists) more reliable than work published in other academic journals (also by scientists), which explicitly and unequivocally states that humans are impacting the climate in a negative way?

Hagrid, CAS is just an abstracting service, it employs scientists around the world to read original articles then write a summary of the paper called an "Abstract", CAS then collects all the abstracts and they are then published/available in hard copy or electronically. CAS does not publish original scientific work, it will contain abstracts pro and con-man made global warming.

Please; give me some names of scientists, journals, articles so I can have a read.

You are best to start with Youtube videos of the likes of Michael Mann, Judith Curry, Patrick Moore and many more, I've posted a video with all 3 of them making the case both pro and con man made global warming.

Facts

- Post industrial revolution the human race are pumping a shed load of CO2 into the atmosphere

- The amount of CO2 in the atmosphere has gone up, unsurprsingly

- This is a bad plan.

Starting point for any discussion.

Why don't you answer the question I posed to you, it's a much better starting point.

Archived