onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Brexit again...

Davebrad

Oh so democracy is a one vote process even though the Leave campaign was corrupt. We are nearly 3 years on. That's 3 more year of voters. Considering we have not really got very far in the process, should they not be allowed a say?

We had to wait 40 years before having a second say on the EU.

Lets not pretend that what you are suggesting is anything other than wanting to reverse the decision of the first referendum.

To be clear it is fine to have another referendum, but we must leave first and give it a reasonable amount of time to be successful.

Advert

The UK has always been able to control it's borders, however the UK has chosen not to do so. What makes you think Brexit will suddenly reduce immigration to 10's of thousands (The governments target) when the majority of immigrants come from outside the UK.

http://lawyers-inforbritain.uk/b-m-a/can-the-uk-control-its-borders-if-it-remains-in-the-eu/

Why do you want to stop immigration from the EU, migrants from the EU make a net contribution to the economy and integrate.

The UK can't even stop a rubber dinghy crossing the channel!!!

Why do assume I want to stop immigration from the EU and reduce overall immigration to 10s of thousands?

We clearly can't control our borders within the EU. That is an absolute fact. If any amount of 500m people can decide tomorrow that they want to come and look for work in the UK, we have no power to stop them.

If any amount of 500m people can decide tomorrow that they want to come and look for work in the UK, we have no power to stop them.

And you really believe that's on the cards do you?

Get real. You sound like Boris Johnson, telling us all that 70 million Turks were coming here.

Do you know that after WW2 every single person in the Empire/Commonwealth was free to come and settle in the UK if they so wished. But guess what? They didn't!

It's scaremongering on an industrial scale.

Tories got a free vote and lost..... Labour were directed and whipped and lost.

The sensible option for remainers is a second referendum on the deal.....

Accept the deal.

No deal.

Remain.

Split the leave vote and give remain an easy pass.... even that failed to squeeze through the back door.... perhaps because they don't think the public are stupid enough to not see it as a rigged outcome.

Even with a whipped vote jezzas plan failed, not everyone in his party just obeys apparently.

May offers to stand down, which I doubt will cause a general election, and it still falls apart.... who will step up to take her place?..... I suspect a more leave hard liner... but not to hard because that would not sit well with the public who voted remain.

Labour's plan failed miserably... I doubt he can push a vote of no confidence vote based on the parliamentary vote as it wasn't on a government motion but was partly on his own.

It looks like the key to the whole mess rests in the DUPs hands..... 10 controlling 600.

Question..... if a second referendum should be called because a number of people have reached voting age and it affects their future..... and given that people reach that age, and others die, every day..... should we hold referendums and general elections daily? Weekly? Fortnightly? Monthly, Lunar or calander? Quarterly? Seasonally? When the clocks go back or forward? When the temperature rises or falls below a set point? When Nelson gets his eye back?

There will be a another delay until the EU decide whether we can alter the clocks.

Why do assume I want to stop immigration from the EU and reduce overall immigration to 10s of thousands?

We clearly can't control our borders within the EU. That is an absolute fact. If any amount of 500m people can decide tomorrow that they want to come and look for work in the UK, we have no power to stop them.

You'd have thought the Remainers would have latched on to the meaning of free movement within the EU by now wouldn't you?

Get real. You sound like Boris Johnson, telling us all that 70 million Turks were coming here.

Turkey are part of the Customs union and can trade with us as part of the EU market...it is inevitable that eventually Turkey will also have free movement of people as others have done.

Scaremongering? Wish it was

Do you know that after WW2 every single person in the Empire/Commonwealth was free to come and settle in the UK if they so wished. But guess what? They didn't!

Did you realise approximately 3% of the world's population died in ww2.... mostly men... large swathes of inhabited areas laid to waste.... local and national populations decimated.... the empire and commonwealth broke up.

I get your point sage but it's an extremely bad example mate.

I don't believe millions would simply flood across the boarder.... but I have to concede that if they wished to they could.

There are plus and negative factors to immigration.... the plus factors are not usually visible directly to the population while the negative effects are all to evident, which are the ones that will draw a reaction, and in some cases a very strong reaction.

The obvious thing to do is control it...... outside the EU we have a stronger ability to do this.... whether we would or not is arguable and given the things we could have done in the EU which we didn't I doubt we would.

I think part of the reaction to the EU is the feeling of total inability as a country.... it's bad enough with a 2 party system we have very limited control over but with the EU we have no control.

How many MP's (Labour or Conservative) betrayed the leave vote in their constituencies?

What do you define as betray? Voting against May's deal? Voting against triggering article 50? What is actually betray? Gareth Snell respects the vote and wants to leave with a customs union, he is against a second vote. Is he betraying? Paul Farrelly voted against triggering A50, he still got in, he now wants a people's vote or to revoke. Is he betraying? JRM and Boris wanted no deal but now are happy to change their vote. Are they betraying?

The critical issue I have with the May deal concerns the Irish backstop. So I go back to the start. If there is already an agreement under international law that can't be readily cancelled concerning the free movement of goods etc. across the Irish border, from historic agreement when the Republic became a country or from the peace agreement, then the May deal is just reflecting an existing fact. The backstop argument is not worth having because the UK is already in the position of commitment in international law and bound. So the May deal is pretty much as good as it will get given the parameters the EU will agree to. Vote for it. Get on with the trade agreement.
But the DUP will not accept a border in the North Sea

How many MP's (Labour or Conservative) betrayed the leave vote in their constituencies?

I think any party that announces it wants to remain..... or leave.... Will have problems in the opposing areas..... or..... the vote could drop dramatically to a point where the whole of parliament represents less1ý

Maybe it will dawn on people one day, it is not the EU that is the problem but the parliamentary system in the UK. A Cabinet of mainly multi-millionaires in parliament, surely as a class they are over represented, elsewhere lots of life-time politicians with poor contact with ordinary folk, and even quite ignorant how the country works and trades with its neighbours.

Archived