onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Brexit again...

Davebrad

Have posted the same, none of the Leave voters had any idea what leaving the EU would involve, what it would entail, what it would cost and what the complications would be, I doubt many MP's knew and that includes the PM and cabinet Ministers.

Did anyone know an open Irish border was part of the Good Friday agreement before they voted.

That's not meant to diss Leave voters but leaving the EU has never been done before, voting leave was a vote in the dark.

Wasn't voting in a Labour government for the first time a vote in the dark?

I don't understand the scared of the unknown approach.... the real big bad scary bogey men don't inhabit the dark places.... they are out in the open where everyone can see them... where no one looks.

There have been proposals 're the Irish boarder..... the EU won't accept them.

Advert

That will be the ultimate showpiece action that shows parliament up for what it really is...a farcical joke

Spending all this time on Brexit is a joke. There should have never been a referendum in the first place. It was only to give the Tories some extra votes. We should be spending this time debating meaningful topics like climate change. Revoke Article 50 now.

Or option 5 (the sensible one), Revoke Article 50

But if we did then we can't stop the unelected EU bureaucrats stealing our democracy and we can't control our open borders and we can't get our straight bananas back or our blue passports or our ration books or our brexit 50p or our money for the nhs and also turkey will join the eu and also we need to stop the eu army and stop them forcing us into the eurozone. Let's sail away now.

But if we did then we can't stop the unelected EU bureaucrats stealing our democracy and we can't control our open borders and we can't get our straight bananas back or our blue passports or our ration books or our brexit 50p or our money for the nhs and also turkey will join the eu and also we need to stop the eu army and stop them forcing us into the eurozone. Let's sail away now.

Be careful mate.... some of the things you mock have serious costs and consequences .

I wonder how many of the EU member states regret the Euro?...... Germany?

Don't forget Blair and many experts were saying it would be a disaster if we didn't join the Euro.....

If you start from the assumption that everything in Europe and the EU is rosy it won't be long before you fall on your own sword only to find there is no way to stop the bleeding.

Wasn't voting in a Labour government for the first time a vote in the dark?

I don't understand the scared of the unknown approach.... the real big bad scary bogey men don't inhabit the dark places.... they are out in the open where everyone can see them... where no one looks.

There have been proposals 're the Irish boarder..... the EU won't accept them.

What are these big bad bogey men then that are out in the open?

And what are these proposals that the EU won't accept? The only ones that I have heard are Steve 'the Grand Wizard of High Wycombe' Baker saying that 'max fac' and 'no touch' technologies that don't currently exist are the way forward? Or, perhaps, is it the proposals contained in the government's No Deal planning, which involve sh**ting the bed, opening the border completely, and hoping for the best?

What are these big bad bogey men then that are out in the open?

You mean who.... don't you?

Where to start...... a few who didn't hide include.....

Hitler, Stalin, Mao, pol pot, amin...... closer to home?..... shipman, west, ripper, savile, harriss... and many more.... all visible... some highly visible and prominent.

The true bogey men don't hide in dark corners, they create them for others while standing in plain sight.... it's not seeing or recognising them that causes problems.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist.... but the people who concern me most are the people who hold power, make decisions that affect many, that tinker with or ignore democracy.

Spending all this time on Brexit is a joke. There should have never been a referendum in the first place.

That may be true... but there was... we shouldn't disregard it simply because we don't like it.

Precedents are quite simple to set but an bugger to overturn and are quite often applied to other things not intended to be covered.

17.4 Million all stupid and thick according to you

I said exactly the opposite of that.

The Irish issue was not one any leaver considered and you know it

That's what I said and unless any Leaver was well versed in the Good Friday agreement they wouldn't have known, as I said, even the majority if not all MP's didn't know the situation with Brexit and the Irish border.

Denying the obvious and then defending it by pointing out the obvious in a way which condescends and patronises leave voters.

Read what was posted.

And there we have it...the true arrogance of a remainder

So I presume you voted Leave. Are you saying you knew, "What leaving the EU would involve, what it would entail, what it would cost and what the complications would be". Since you won't answer the question I'll answer it for you, you didn't know, you couldn't have known, eg no one knew the EU would be demanding 30 odd billion quid from the UK to leave in June 2016, it's not arrogance just an opinion.

So there we have it...Leave voters didn't know what they were voting for and yet Cameron had to offer a referendum or lose votes to UKIP...again because people didn't know what they were voting for. 17.4 Million all stupid and thick according to you

The Irish issue was not one any leaver considered and you know it

Denying the obvious and then defending it by pointing out the obvious in a way which condescends and patronises leave voters.

And there we have it...the true arrogance of a remainder

You say the Irish issue was not one any leaver had considered but also seem upset that people think leavers didn’t know what they were voting for?

You say the Irish issue was not one any leaver had considered but also seem upset that people think leavers didn’t know what they were voting for?

They voted to ease Immigration, improve life chances for Brits who live here, improve chances of getting a flamin hospital appointment or to see their GP without waiting years to do so

Most leavers are sick to death of the pampering to Scotland and Ireland and where there is devolution should be the chance for those countries of the UK to decide if they want to go it alone...let's see how they get on

I couldn't disagree with you more.

I can understand the concerns around uncontrolled immigration but it's higher from outside the EU and we've done nothing about it.

I'm also pleased that we have almost 200 hospital staff working in Stoke who are from the EU. My last appointment was with a consultant from Greece and my last local GP appointment was with an Irish doctor.

Stoke benefits from over £150m worth of grants from the EU but few people realise that.

It's helped to set up the Smart Innovation Hub at Keele, helped 4,300 businesses, and contributed to the spread of broadband in rural spots.

Portmeirion received £429,000 from the EU to help environmental improvements.

So there's a lot of positives that most people don't appreciate or realise.

Blaming the EU for austerity and a lack of investment in public services is simply wrong.

I can understand the concerns around uncontrolled immigration but it's higher from outside the EU and we've done nothing about it.

I'm also pleased that we have almost 200 hospital staff working in Stoke who are from the EU. My last appointment was with a consultant from Greece and my last local GP appointment was with an Irish doctor.

Stoke benefits from over £150m worth of grants from the EU but few people realise that.

It's helped to set up the Smart Innovation Hub at Keele, helped 4,300 businesses, and contributed to the spread of broadband in rural spots.

Blaming the EU for austerity and a lack of investment in public services is simply wrong.

Might be more beneficial to talk to the Greek people about the EU and austerity?

This was the key issue with the Remain campaign in my opinion. There was little to no effort as far as I could see to highlight the benefits that the EU has brought to towns and cities in the UK. They allowed the Leave campaign to dictate the message that was being put out. Without wanting to sound like Carl, this was simply down to Cameron & Osbourne and their Eton pals not understanding what real life is like for folk who aren't of their ilk and assuming that everywhere in the country is like Witney or Tatton or Westminster, as these are the only places they ever speak to anyone for longer than 30 seconds at a time.

I firmly believe Remain would have won comfortably by running a positive campaign, rather than the "Project Fear" campaign they did run.

That may be true... but there was... we shouldn't disregard it simply because we don't like it.

Precedents are quite simple to set but an bugger to overturn and are quite often applied to other things not intended to be covered.

We did not disregard it. We have tried to leave and failed. It has not worked, things have changed, and it has found out to be a con. Let's move on for the good of the country.

Archived