onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday Thread: Newport C v Port Vale

Fosse69

Agree with all of that.

I am excited with regards to the potential partnership between Pope and Forrester with the latter in the number 10 role that Harness hasn’t really excelled in. It’s early, early days though.

I’d be tempted if we do sign Eagles to put him on the right and Whitfield on the left and Forrester and Pope up top. That would then enable a midfield two of Worral and Pugh which would offer better balance there.

Whilst they dominated the first half it wasn’t like they pummelled us and I thought we were fair value for the draw against a side on the edge of the play offs (shows what a god awful league it is and what an abysmal job BS Brown was doing).

What on earth was their number 3 doing, just asking for trouble the plank!

Just my opinion,if we use Tom and Anton together i’d use Anton further forward than Tom,based on Tom’s heading ability and Anton’s pace.

Advert

Thought we were poor but deserved the point so can only assume we have come a long way since Aspin has taken the reign. Had we been able to put decent balls in to the box I’m confident we would have taken 3 points. Anderson MOM who was a rock last night and Regis looked good when he came on, hopefully he will replace Kay who I don’t think we have the need for when Pugh is playing.

Good following for a Friday night and got under their number 3 (Butler) skin as he was really pumped up but to the detriment of his play.

We don’t need Mystic Meg to know we would have sunk under the Clown after going 0-1 down. Him and mouthy Morgan would have destroyed the players. Instead Aspo gets on with it, gives the players a belief and turns it around. Well done everyone, Newport or not that is where we are.

Ps. If we are a “big team” and should have stuffed Little Newport, how did Huddersfield beat United, how did Palace beat Chelsea, because that’s the beauty of football.

Neil Aspin's black and white army roll again in steady progression.

Solid if not inspiring formation that set out to frustrate and stifle the opposition. Not pretty to watch but Aspin had the squad fighting to the end. If Newport are to be up there or abouts at the end of this season then Vale have nowt whatsoever to worry about.

Last night again proved conclusively that in Brown we had a totally out of his depth manager who would not have rallied his men like Aspin and recently we would have been rock bottom of this god awful Division.

Yes some were not up to scratch last night but as a team we ought fought the opponents and frankly held our own on a parks ground that will see many others beaten on.

Scrappy game on a weird pitch in a weird stadium. But right application all night got a point with a well worked and taken equaliser. Our main problem is now ball retention which is a better problem than a few weeks ago when we couldn't defend or score. Gibbons gets a lot of the ball and needs to improve in that respect as well as making fewer mistakes, but the potential is there, learning. Forrester and Pope could be a force, Regis looks really useful, good signing to date on Crewe and Newport evidence. We should start to climb well up the league.

Fella id put my mortgage on the fact ive been following Vale while u were munching on your first Rusk.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using the onevalefan mobile app

Mate, your a 30 year old chef from Leek who previously mocked Bradford fans about the fire on the facebook league 2 forum a few years back. You have been using that rusk line for years, I thought you were banned from here anyway. ********

Mate, your a 30 year old chef from Leek who previously mocked Bradford fans about the fire on the facebook league 2 forum a few years back. You have been using that rusk line for years, I thought you were banned from here anyway. ********

Wish i was 30 lol, i havent had a fb account for nearly 10 years now either

Sent from my SM-J500FN using onevalefan mobile app

Scrappy game on a weird pitch in a weird stadium. But right application all night got a point with a well worked and taken equaliser. Our main problem is now ball retention which is a better problem than a few weeks ago when we couldn't defend or score. Gibbons gets a lot of the ball and needs to improve in that respect as well as making fewer mistakes, but the potential is there, learning. Forrester and Pope could be a force, Regis looks really useful, good signing to date on Crewe and Newport evidence. We should start to climb well up the league.

Yes it's a very strange looking ground down there.

Agree on ball retention, the tendency in this league is to hoof it long too and last night that wasn't working much for either side. It's funny to hear the things fans say at match, Gibbons got the ball and plays it inside to Kay, (cue fans moaning he should have hit it long), Kay switches it to Gunning who plays Denton is who puts in a dangerous cross (fans are happy with the move). Later one of the defenders gets it, Anderson I think and hits it long to Pope, cue fans moaning he shouldn't have hit it long, Pope flicks it on and we retain the ball. Granted that didn't work every time and every player seemed to follow the same pattern through the game.

In the case of Gibbons he's going to make mistakes and he will be up and down due to his inexperience. But there's no denying the impact he's had, the potential he's got and in the main I think he's been a regular 7 out of ten near enough every game he played. No one could have predicted that. Ironically I thought last night there were times second half especially as we pushed on he got a lot of space and we didn't use him enough. But with him and the others it was some simple passes that sometimes let them down when it seemed like an easy ball to play. They were all at it. A lot of it was minor stuff and it is frustrating even though I realise players will make mistakes every game, (if they didn't they'd be higher up). Sometimes it could be down to the players inconsistencies or the opposition closing space quickly or one of our players not giving an option to the man on the ball. Sometimes defenders need to relieve the pressure by just hitting channels or putting the ball back on the oppositions defence.

But overall if we can pick up points in such scrappy games then that's a good thing, however there's still plenty to work on as a team and individually and so far the signs are good because Aspin looks to have everyone playing for each other and the team.

Gibbons has done well since making the first team but he had an off day last night as in his passing was poor and his crossing was awful but he did defend well and contained their number 3 when he pushed forward.

Our strikers really struggled with decent deliveries in to box last night. What I would have given to have put that tackle in on that cocky number 3 last night.

Thought our deliveries were very poor last night, yes they had 2 on Pope last night but there was really nothing for him to challenge in the box. Our corners were shocking but there deliveries off corners looked dangerous nearly every time including the one which Denton locked on the line. That’s where we were most disappointing last night, I don’t know if Denton had a knock but he did look like the only one who could put a decent ball in last night.

Archived