onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Why we need Neil Aspin.

Spunk Trumpet

Ah, a more promising reponse has just been posted. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong in my misgivings...

We have played.some fantastic football at times under aspin and some dreadful stuff too.

He isn't the hoofball lover people say . I think with a bit investment up.front we would be there abouts as this league is wide open yet to see a really good side compared to last season where Lincoln stood out to us all ( well maybe not all :lol: )

He can spot.a player half the Halifax players have moved on to better things as have some of our squad he has a plan a b and c though can be a bit too defensive at times . He will do a great job at vale if given the chance in my opinion

Advert

I disagree. The only 3 comments on their thread that mention Aspin's style of football all say words to the effect of dour and defensive. Managerial stats tell you nothing about his preferred style of play, particularly when a significant part of that career has been spent managing a team at a 'false' level.

Maybe not, but in our position, surely you'd be looking at a manager's record of results, rather than their style of play, regardless of the level? IMO we shouldn't really be looking into our preference of style, points are much more important. If a year or two ago you'd have had the option of Bruno & his 'carpet football' (with a terrible win percentage), or Aspin, who might apparently not have a nice style of play but gets results, who would you pick?

All I'm saying is, right now I'd take defensive, dinosaur football getting us results, rather than watching us go down but in (some sort of) style. Obviously I can't predict he will be successful, but just because a few people say his style of play isn't great to watch, doesn't mean he should be disregarded.

Ah, a more promising reponse has just been posted. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong in my misgivings...

Yeah, but I still wouldn't use it in my argument either, could be talking complete nonsense too! Have you got the forum link by the way? At work & difficult to search around.

I want a manager who sees us as a stepping stone! I want every manager who comes to us to want to end up managing the best clubs at the highest level. I'd hope that we can keep them with a combination of decent wages and ambition on our part but I don't want anyone who's happy to merely manage a league two side (not that you inferred that).

I would like another Rudge like manager who stays for 19yrs and gets us to the championship and back to beating stoke...stuff seeing us as a stepping stone.

This comment is directed at MBE this will now be the same as some were with Brown(proven right i know but annoying) some again will be waiting for us to lose and slam Aspin every chance they get

Sometimes Mr H you have to play to the strengths of the players you have,so as they said maybe with more money he will play football the way you like it but what i liked about what was said is that he can change tactics/systems from attacking to defense minded.I am sure one of his sides scored a record amount of goals one season and if he can spot a player then good as our last 2 couldn't.

Not sure if mentioned but Aspin wont be in charge of Gateshead game tonight

Fans have a tendency to underplay a manager when they're about to get poached; I and others were guilty with Page. Its a pride thing, its not nice to see someone come in and 'nick' your manager, especially if he's half decent.

Gateshead can go on about Pulis ball as long as they want; I want to win games. I just want to come away from Vale games having seen some goals and a few wins. Thats all I want. If they want to get high and mighty and his style of football, good luck to them.

For reference, Aspin has led Gateshead to 9th and 8th place finishes the past 2 seasons, despite having the 4th lowest average attendance in the Conference last year, and owners, who, upon their takeover in 2015, took on a debt-free club and said they would 'maintain' the existing budget levels (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/32905312)

I can't see a team with no debt, with an average of 900 fans at home games, having a huge budget, and it hasn't been increased by these owners. Aspin's had them finishing near the playoffs.

I won't even go into his 3 promotions in 4 years at Halifax or winning nearly half of his 600+ games.

Fans have a tendency to underplay a manager when they're about to get poached; I and others were guilty with Page. Its a pride thing, its not nice to see someone come in and 'nick' your manager, especially if he's half decent.

Gateshead can go on about Pulis ball as long as they want; I want to win games. I just want to come away from Vale games having seen some goals and a few wins. Thats all I want. If they want to get high and mighty and his style of football, good luck to them.

I couldn't believe people when Adams was here and they were demanding 'proper' football.

I think there's about 4-5 teams in the whole country who can demand to play well rather than just be happy to win more than they lose.

That's what I think if we play Pulis Ball, and that gets us safe this season and promoted the next I do not care. Pulis ball is needed at this level.

Archived