onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Why we need Neil Aspin.

Spunk Trumpet

I’ve seen many Vale fans voicing their opinion in the last week on the potential appointment of Aspo. For me, it’s a no brainer and a few bullet points why.

Firstly let’s get rid of the myth that he hasn’t league experience. 20 years ago I would have agreed with you but there is nothing between league 2 and the national league now. They are 90% professional football clubs. Aspos Gateshead got just over 600 supporters at the weekend. They are a professional club.

We bang on about our budget and certain idiots say it’s Norman putting the money in, yet we get five times Gatesheads crowd on a bad day! And they probably beat us in a competitive game right now!

Our last three managers, Page, Bruno, Brown, have just under 300 managerial matches between them. Aspin has over 600, spanning 12 years.

This isn’t a man about to have his first dance, like Glover and Foyle before him, so let’s get rid of the “been there before with ex players” nonsense. This is a man who has earned his stripes regardless of him being a Vale legend. Chesterfield have gambled with their legend in Jack Lester. Now THAT is a gamble. Aspin isn’t.

The man has an eye for a player. He signed Jamie Vardy. Sold Lee Gregory to Millwall as well. If anyone listened to Foyley on RS last night, he made a lot of sense. He’s fully supportive of his appointment.

Now, being 37, I can totally understand those in their teen years or early 20s who are looking at this appointment as just another Vale legend. But I think this time it’s totally different.

Neil Aspin is a successful lower league manager in his own right with an abundance of experience. Experience at a level right now that is no different to where we are at.

We are now Port Vale Football Club who are the worst team in the English football league. Joint one of three. By a distance.

We have fallen. We continue to fall. There is no hope............ But Aspin? Yes. There’s hope. There’s a man with over 600 managerial matches under his belt. Almost 400 matches for the club as a player. He knows the club. He knows the fans.

Hey, even if Rudgie isn’t on the payroll, do you really believe he won’t be getting a bit of advice from him? Course he will.

He’s been a very very good manager in his own right and yet it just so happens he is a Vale legend.

If it is Aspin, and it seemingly looks like it, it could be the best thing for the club in a long time.

We need reuniting as fans. We need renewed hope. We need a “manager”. We need somebody who will take no **** and ultimately we need somebody to grab this club by its balls and get it on track again.

Aspin, for me, out of all the duff candidates that have been banded around (ince westley) is by far the standout candidate for PVFC at this time.

For me, as it seems the owner is going nowhere, it’s an appointment to unite us all.

Aspin for Vale.

Advert

I’ve seen many Vale fans voicing their opinion in the last week on the potential appointment of Aspo. For me, it’s a no brainer and a few bullet points why.

Firstly let’s get rid of the myth that he hasn’t league experience. 20 years ago I would have agreed with you but there is nothing between league 2 and the national league now. They are 90% professional football clubs. Aspos Gateshead got just over 600 supporters at the weekend. They are a professional club.

We bang on about our budget and certain idiots say it’s Norman putting the money in, yet we get five times Gatesheads crowd on a bad day! And they probably beat us in a competitive game right now!

Our last three managers, Page, Bruno, Brown, have just under 300 managerial matches between them. Aspin has over 600, spanning 12 years.

This isn’t a man about to have his first dance, like Glover and Foyle before him, so let’s get rid of the “been there before with ex players” nonsense. This is a man who has earned his stripes regardless of him being a Vale legend. Chesterfield have gambled with their legend in Jack Lester. Now THAT is a gamble. Aspin isn’t.

The man has an eye for a player. He signed Jamie Vardy. Sold Lee Gregory to Millwall as well. If anyone listened to Foyley on RS last night, he made a lot of sense. He’s fully supportive of his appointment.

Now, being 37, I can totally understand those in their teen years or early 20s who are looking at this appointment as just another Vale legend. But I think this time it’s totally different.

Neil Aspin is a successful lower league manager in his own right with an abundance of experience. Experience at a level right now that is no different to where we are at.

We are now Port Vale Football Club who are the worst team in the English football league. Joint one of three. By a distance.

We have fallen. We continue to fall. There is no hope............ But Aspin? Yes. There’s hope. There’s a man with over 600 managerial matches under his belt. Almost 400 matches for the club as a player. He knows the club. He knows the fans.

Hey, even if Rudgie isn’t on the payroll, do you really believe he won’t be getting a bit of advice from him? Course he will.

He’s been a very very good manager in his own right and yet it just so happens he is a Vale legend.

If it is Aspin, and it seemingly looks like it, it could be the best thing for the club in a long time.

We need reuniting as fans. We need renewed hope. We need a “manager”. We need somebody who will take no **** and ultimately we need somebody to grab this club by its balls and get it on track again.

Aspin, for me, out of all the duff candidates that have been banded around (ince westley) is by far the standout candidate for PVFC at this time.

For me, as it seems the owner is going nowhere, it’s an appointment to unite us all.

Aspin for Vale.

:clap: Thank you Paul. Dare I dream to be excited once again about all things Port Vale?

:clap: Thank you Paul. Dare I dream to be excited once again about all things Port Vale?

Not all things Barry. But I honestly believe an Aspin appointment will galvanise our club, and it’s very much needed.

Long term issues are still there but with Aspin in charge, he may just be the figurehead we need short term and continue that into the future.

Here’s hoping, mate.

Great post Spunkers and I totally agree with you, he ticks almost all the boxes.

I feel genuinely sorry for the younger fans who didn’t get to see Aspo and his generation play. Saying that, they are used to us being pants and our age grew up watching us play good football at a decent level; it’s the hope that kills you!

Agree totally Spunkers with your well put post. At this moment in time the Vale need the fan base to galvanise and we need sincere hope for our future. Aspin has to be the only choice of those muted who will excite us again and put some belief into us. It may (hopefully not) be only a temporary shot in the arm but at least it will be something positive to rally the Valiants. We badly need something to grasp onto at this dark and bewildering time.

Sent from my SM-G920F using the onevalefan mobile app

Good post. I know I've said this before but I mentioned Aspin before Micky got the job and was laughed at . Maybe for good reason, as he probably wadn't ready then.

However, I brought his name up again before Page was appointed and got no response. I've only been to one match in the last 3 years , at home to Walsall in the opening game of the 2014-15 season.

The football was poor , all fitness and no skill . It has gone steadily downhill since then . Aspin could be the one to change it.

A very hard task , but it will take time.

I have a lot of faith in him to turn it around.

If he's appointed , of course. Port Vale Forever ! Never give up lads , things have a way of changing for the better. Hopefully , we will see that this week.

Great post ST! Optimistic and realistic from the forum for once!

Me and my dad were discussing it between ourselves yesterday, going over the same points as you Spunk Trumpet!

I needn't repeat them but to add to the recruitment of Jamie vardy.... we too will need to have good recruitment from the lower levels to make the budget go further and is some thing that should complement the player development already at the club alongside the recruitment of more seasoned players who "should" bring some experience and resilience to the squad. If nothing else I'd like Aspo as I hope he'd firstly make us hard to beat and get us organised. So important when your barely scoring a goal a game. The goal problem in open play can be worked on in due course, but set pieces would be a start. Though, a set up where Pope gets some regular, decent delivery would help. Obviously I want to see my club back in the championship one day but Ill watch the Vale wherever we end up! and so will my lad, though hes a tad young at 3 but your never too young for the indoctrination to start! Onwards and upwards UTV!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using the onevalefan mobile app

Aspin for Vale.

One vital piont u av missed

DOES ASPO NEED VALE

I reckon a big fat NO! if he wants a future in league management

Would u work for NS and be his next human shield ??

According to one poster on The Heed Forum Aspin is on his way but won't be released until the replacement is appointed. The replacement is Graham Westley.

Believe it if you like but if true I'd better get myself to Gateshead Stadium as he'll need any support he can get.

According to one poster on The Heed Forum Aspin is on his way but won't be released until the replacement is appointed. The replacement is Graham Westley.

Believe it if you like but if true I'd better get myself to Gateshead Stadium as he'll need any support he can get.

Hope half is true but if they need find their replacement before he can go means more waiting on our side.

Archived