onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

iFollow for International Fans

NZ PVFC

Doha, I am in Spain and looking for a good VPN provider for iplayer and such like. Could you pm me the company you use if you recommend them.

I also live in Spain (Costa Del Sol) and I use TunnelBear VPN. I can use BBC Iplayer, All4, Demand5 etc but Skygo and Netflix UK doesn't work. Its costs a little a month or pay for a full year for 5 devices.

Advert

So does this replace the Radio Stoke commentary that the Football League used to pay the BBC to stream on the Valiant Player website?

I don't think so. As I see it, iFollow for UK fans will still be the radio commentary (as you can't legally watch 3pm kick-offs live on video in the UK). If you're out of the UK I guess you get either the live footage and/or the radio commentary.

I wonder if they will sync or whether it will simply be the video without any commentary - in many ways that would be the closest experience to being a fan in the ground watching it.

If they do include radio commentary I hope it syncs as it would be awful if it is not. The TMS commentary and TV coverage of cricket is sometimes out and makes it impossible for me to watch it...

They should change it to allow the clubs to sell a digital season ticket for away games only. They will need to make it so you can subscribe to one club only though and not allow you to change to whichever you fancied like with valiant player.

You wouldn't be able to do that for UK fans as you can't stream live footage of 3pm kick-offs in the UK regardless of whether they are home or away games.

I imagine to get it absolutely spot on they'd have to mix the commentary in with the video locally, though that might mean running a long wire with an audio jack across the stadium, especially at grounds where the TV gantry is on the opposite side to the press box.

I imagine to get it absolutely spot on they'd have to mix the commentary in with the video locally, though that might mean running a long wire with an audio jack across the stadium, especially at grounds where the TV gantry is on the opposite side to the press box.

Call me cynical but I personally think that with 72 clubs and the amount of games that generates this will be a "simplest solution only" fix and will potentially be just footage and no commentary. That would avoid the EFL having to spend money looking at solutions (potentially 72 unique ones) for every club to merge the commentary with the video.

I'd be delighted to be wrong but I suspect it will be footage of the game with crowd noise via effect microphones. I remember one of Vale's friendlies against an Italian club was broadcast like that and I thought it was OK. You felt a bit more like a fan at the ground (i.e. making your own mind up without the distraction of the commentators) but I can imagine it may not be to everyone's tastes.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what they deliver. I'd certainly be impressed if they do have synchronised commentary on the games.

I'm planning to subscribe but tell me this, why don't I trust the EFL to deliver? Do all these L2 clubs have the equipment and experience to ensure good quality continuous service?

I watched some of the Doncaster Rovers v Derby game this week (was supposed to have been Vale v Derby, but they had "technical issues" - go figure). The video was excellent. The commentary was provided from a studio at Pride Park.

One reason I'm dragging my feet is that nobody at EFL can tell me when I'll get my refund for the remaining part of my PlayerHD annual subscription. I just keep getting put off. Nobody seems to have a clue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm planning to subscribe but tell me this, why don't I trust the EFL to deliver? Do all these L2 clubs have the equipment and experience to ensure good quality continuous service?

I watched some of the Doncaster Rovers v Derby game this week (was supposed to have been Vale v Derby, but they had "technical issues" - go figure). The video was excellent. The commentary was provided from a studio at Pride Park.

One reason I'm dragging my feet is that nobody at EFL can tell me when I'll get my refund for the remaining part of my PlayerHD annual subscription. I just keep getting put off. Nobody seems to have a clue.

I agree. A free trial of the first game should be given to check out the value of this service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's your answer Tone, and in addition Valiant Player didn't always work well but must admit the service was much better last year albeit with the odd cock-up. I've put a question into iFollow to find out how many games will be audio and video and not just audio and am waiting for a reply, I'll still more than likely subscribe though whatever the answer.

Some Q+A here. https://worldsoccertalk.com/2017/05/09/efl-ifollow-faq-need-know-football-leagues-new-streaming-service/

Seems like the 46 league games (no cups), quality "Every iFollow service will have a minimum of a single camera. Each club can choose to enhance the streaming production with more cameras and audio commentary, if they choose."

It's going to be weird sat Saturday aftenoons cursing at a silent laptop.

I've spoken to Chris Harris this afternoon and I can 100% guarantee that a VPN will not allow a UK resident to use iFollow.

iFollow and the EFL have invested a lot of time and money to make sure UK fans will never access live video streaming unless outside of the UK.

You seem very certain, maybe people will try for themselves.

If 13-year-olds can hack the CIA files, I'd guess this tuppeny system won't stand the test.

I've spoken to Chris Harris this afternoon and I can 100% guarantee that a VPN will not allow a UK resident to use iFollow.

iFollow and the EFL have invested a lot of time and money to make sure UK fans will never access live video streaming unless outside of the UK.

:laugh:

Just like they have successfully blocked every Premiership match that is not allowed to be broadcast at 3pm each Saturday...

:doh:

The thing with the internet is that no matter how much any company throws at online security, it can be breached. If the VPN does not work it will be only a matter of days before the matches will be available to stream live. There are a lot of smart people out there.

Its as easy as setting up a website out of the UK. Setting up a re-stream video server, and re-streaming the content to a website. I can guarantee it will be only a matter of time before a crook latches onto the potential profit to be made. I do not agree with this and believe there should not be any stream because of this method, but it is only a matter of time. It is a great idea to fans abroad but unfortunately the system will be too easy for crooks! So it is a big thumbs down for me :upthevale:

• 2 weeks later...

Less than 48 hours to kickoff and the buffoons at EFL and NeuLion still have not resolved the migration of my PlayerHD annual subscription. Ramping up the outrage now.

Sent from my iPhone using onevalefan

Archived