onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Regi Gone?

Andy06

Advert

Yeah, I don't think Mbamba deserves a death sentence for not being very good at football.

Have you gone soft? He's under contract to the Vale, not Stoke! We need rid of him. Anyway, I was thinking more along the lines of a secret holiday at Mugabwe's 'expense' rather than a death sentence, you know, a bit of Uncle Robert's re-education that lasts long enough for us to cancel his contract.

So badly wanted him be a success but unfortunately he wasnt and when we needed a big goal he didnt come up with one at the end of the season .

I liked him though but getting sent off in that crucial home game v Bolton when they were no where near enough to say they r two leagues better than us come the final whistle well im sorry what he did was criminal.

He did bring entertainment for a while but failed when we needed a hero .

All the best though ,like all the players who r released u can hardly complain if u dont deliver this will be your fate .

Utv

So badly wanted him be a success but unfortunately he wasnt and when we needed a big goal he didnt come up with one at the end of the season .

I liked him though but getting sent off in that crucial home game v Bolton when they were no where near enough to say they r two leagues better than us come the final whistle well im sorry what he did was criminal.

He did bring entertainment for a while but failed when we needed a hero .

All the best though ,like all the players who r released u can hardly complain if u dont deliver this will be your fate .

Utv

Really good assessment that. Seems like a really decent lad and always gives 100%. Like you say, really wanted him to succeed but ultimately he hasn't succeeded. I personally would have kept him as he's only young, has potential, and at a lower level could be a useful player for us but certainly won't lose any sleep over his departure.

Couldn't agree more. I actually think a season learning hold up play from Pope could have turned him i to a pretty decent lower league striker.

To be able to hold up play you first need to be able to control a football. If a pro player can't even do that at this stage of his career then it is going to be difficult to teach him anything else. He ran around a lot, couldn't control a ball, couldn't head a ball and couldn't score enough. The fact people still think he could have been a decent footballer is amusing.

Really good assessment that. Seems like a really decent lad and always gives 100%. Like you say, really wanted him to succeed but ultimately he hasn't succeeded. I personally would have kept him as he's only young, has potential, and at a lower level could be a useful player for us but certainly won't lose any sleep over his departure.

He is 24 in August, not that young in footballing terms, what was this potential people saw? I still can't believe Smurthwaite paid a fee for him.

I have to say that I wondered if we could have made a lower league striker out of him. He was as far as I could tell far better than the likes of Peirera, Shalaj, Mbamba, etc. and I did wonder if a full pre-season and intensive coaching could have made him into a decent squad player, but the manager knows best.

He was certainly a character and his 20 minute cameos from the subs bench entertained me.

Good luck, Reg.

Excellent post that, I actually initially thought when I heard Pope had come back he could help toughen him up for 90 minutes. Definitely a cult hero in the future.

To be able to hold up play you first need to be able to control a football. If a pro player can't even do that at this stage of his career then it is going to be difficult to teach him anything else. He ran around a lot, couldn't control a ball, couldn't head a ball and couldn't score enough. The fact people still think he could have been a decent footballer is amusing.

He is 24 in August, not that young in footballing terms, what was this potential people saw? I still can't believe Smurthwaite paid a fee for him.

£20,000 apparently! Sums up just how gullible Smurthwaite was and how these agents saw him coming a mile off!

Agree with your first comment too. Reg was comedy entertainment value for a while, and he did cause problems sheerly because he was so unorthodox and ungainly, so no fecker could work out what he was going to do (probably even him!), but the joke wore very thin the deeper we got into trouble and the more we had to rely on him up front. He couldn't/wouldn't head the ball so would twist and contort his body to try and bring it down on his chest or by stretching his leg out to reach it, and would instantly lose possession or give away a free-kick. I don't just think that he wasn't suited to League 1, I don't think he's suited to the English game in general.

Someone else mentioned similar earlier in the thread, but in future years I'll always have Reg in mind when recalling this relegation season, in the same way that I think of Viljanen and the 2000 relegation.

Having said all that, he did seemingly give his all and I wish him well for the future.

Archived