onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Could you recommend Port Vale to a friend?

old sage

Whilst sitting thinking about the current situation that exists at Port Vale, the club that I have supported through thick, thin and thinner for nigh on 60 years. I couldn't help but wonder what the future holds for the team that all Valiants hold so dear. I can remember as a young lad the tingle that I used to get sitting on the bus from Newcastle to Burslem and I sat there thinking how lucky the people of Porthill were to live so close to Vale Park. As I walked up the Hamil my excitement was immense and as I stood on the Hamil End looking down onto the deserted pitch I was in heaven at the prospect of seeing Ken Hancock and my own favourite John Nicholson 'weave their magic'.

After that little daydream my good lady brought me out of it with a bump by saying ''Here's your tea, don't spill it!''. My thoughts came back to the present time and I thought what has the Port Vale of 2017-18 got to offer at this present time that will attract fans other than the most ardent 'dyed in the wool' supporters who like me will probably attend regardless of our circumstances?

The truth is absolutely nothing, we have just been relegated after enduring a rotten season. We are owned by a man that very few of the fans want. Is that really any surprise after the disastrous way he has managed the club since the day Micky Adams left the club. Norman Smuthwaite arrived with promises of Championship football and he has 'deserted' us but seems intent on not selling the Club, in the bottom tier. When he purchased the Club we were definitely on 'the up' but as things stand today we are most certainly in a frightening decline.

In the past after a relegation season I and most others have still had the faith that we were well capable of bouncing back at the first attempt. This time around most lifelong fans are apprehensively looking how far down the pyramid we must slide before our 'madcap' owner lets another new owner into the Club to halt the decline and take us on with the realistic hope of both improving our image and a brighter future.

For me the most galling fact is that in Synetics we have a genuine Vale fan and her husband willing to take on the task of resurrecting our wonderful but battered Club's fortunes. It is only because our deluded owner seems to value the Club at a totally unrealistic price coupled with his apparent dislike of Synetics the company who live right next door. It is all so frustrating as we have a real lifeline so close but a stubborn and destructive man refusing to allow Port Vale to grasp hold of it!

Synetics may or may not be capable of taking us up to the Premiership but I'm confident that they will at least run us properly in an eager and professional manner and to once again make fans feel proud to wear the Club's colours.

At this moment Port Vale's reputation has been ripped to shreds to a level where many players wouldn't touch us with the proverbial barge pole. I heard the Crewe boss Artell talk on radio Stoke and he said '' We at Crewe can't offer big salaries but we will be able to offer them the opportunity to work for a well run club''. I wish that I could say that these comments equally applied to my Club.

So I finish by asking the opening question ' Could you currently recommend Port Vale to a friend?'. If the answer is yes then I fear you mustn't value your friendship too highly.

Advert

I keep hearing this reputation in tatters thing and I think it is absolute rubbish to be honest. What impact is it having exactly? We are two weeks into the close season and very few teams have made a signing yet.

Blackpool are surely bottom of the reputation pile at the moment, their owner has threatened fans with guns, sued others, the fans have disrupted multiple games with protests and yet they've managed to assemble a squad which finished in the playoffs.

How did Leeds convince Chris Wood and Gary Monk to go their after their run of managers?

How did Birmingham convince Harry Redknapp to take the job when they were in real danger of relegation after sacking Rowett?

Why did Eagles, Bikey, Pugh, Taylor all sign in January? Taylor espcially must have had knowledge of our terrible reputation.

Players will sign for clubs who offer them the right money in their eyes. They may make secondary considerations such as geography, potential, current squad etc but only when they have multiple offers.

I agree with the above norman you have drained the life out of the club and it's supporters what do you want to do with the club put it in addmin it can not get any better under you or sell the club to any body and give the supporters some hope before it is to late (Again PLEASE norman sell up now not later)P.S. Will not renew my season ticket zb94 Bycars till you've gone.

I keep hearing this reputation in tatters thing and I think it is absolute rubbish to be honest. What impact is it having exactly? We are two weeks into the close season and very few teams have made a signing yet.

Blackpool are surely bottom of the reputation pile at the moment, their owner has threatened fans with guns, sued others, the fans have disrupted multiple games with protests and yet they've managed to assemble a squad which finished in the playoffs.

How did Leeds convince Chris Wood and Gary Monk to go their after their run of managers?

How did Birmingham convince Harry Redknapp to take the job when they were in real danger of relegation after sacking Rowett?

Why did Eagles, Bikey, Pugh, Taylor all sign in January? Taylor espcially must have had knowledge of our terrible reputation.

Players will sign for clubs who offer them the right money in their eyes. They may make secondary considerations such as geography, potential, current squad etc but only when they have multiple offers.

You have hit the nail on the head MONEY. That said we won't be offering big money will we?

You have hit the nail on the head MONEY. That said we won't be offering big money will we?

You tell me, you seem to know.

The new CEO has said we have a competitive budget that Brown is happy with. I've no reason to doubt him yet.

When have we ever offered big money?

Whilst sitting thinking about the current situation that exists at Port Vale, the club that I have supported through thick, thin and thinner for nigh on 60 years. I couldn't help but wonder what the future holds for the team that all Valiants hold so dear. I can remember as a young lad the tingle that I used to get sitting on the bus from Newcastle to Burslem and I sat there thinking how lucky the people of Porthill were to live so close to Vale Park. As I walked up the Hamil my excitement was immense and as I stood on the Hamil End looking down onto the deserted pitch I was in heaven at the prospect of seeing Ken Hancock and my own favourite John Nicholson 'weave their magic'.

After that little daydream my good lady brought me out of it with a bump by saying ''Here's your tea, don't spill it!''. My thoughts came back to the present time and I thought what has the Port Vale of 2017-18 got to offer at this present time that will attract fans other than the most ardent 'dyed in the wool' supporters who like me will probably attend regardless of our circumstances?

The truth is absolutely nothing, we have just been relegated after enduring a rotten season. We are owned by a man that very few of the fans want. Is that really any surprise after the disastrous way he has managed the club since the day Micky Adams left the club. Norman Smuthwaite arrived with promises of Championship football and he has 'deserted' us but seems intent on not selling the Club, in the bottom tier. When he purchased the Club we were definitely on 'the up' but as things stand today we are most certainly in a frightening decline.

In the past after a relegation season I and most others have still had the faith that we were well capable of bouncing back at the first attempt. This time around most lifelong fans are apprehensively looking how far down the pyramid we must slide before our 'madcap' owner lets another new owner into the Club to halt the decline and take us on with the realistic hope of both improving our image and a brighter future.

For me the most galling fact is that in Synetics we have a genuine Vale fan and her husband willing to take on the task of resurrecting our wonderful but battered Club's fortunes. It is only because our deluded owner seems to value the Club at a totally unrealistic price coupled with his apparent dislike of Synetics the company who live right next door. It is all so frustrating as we have a real lifeline so close but a stubborn and destructive man refusing to allow Port Vale to grasp hold of it!

Synetics may or may not be capable of taking us up to the Premiership but I'm confident that they will at least run us properly in an eager and professional manner and to once again make fans feel proud to wear the Club's colours.

At this moment Port Vale's reputation has been ripped to shreds to a level where many players wouldn't touch us with the proverbial barge pole. I heard the Crewe boss Artell talk on radio Stoke and he said '' We at Crewe can't offer big salaries but we will be able to offer them the opportunity to work for a well run club''. I wish that I could say that these comments equally applied to my Club.

So I finish by asking the opening question ' Could you currently recommend Port Vale to a friend?'. If the answer is yes then I fear you mustn't value your friendship too highly.

I could not have put it any better old sage, thank you. My sentiments exactly

In fairness Regal most of the players you mentioned were players with issues of different sorts and were therefore gambles. Fair play in that some of them paid off. It would be good to be able to shop elsewhere and we will need to if we are looking for strikers who can strike. Players like that are in demand and will have more options open to them , most likely better ones than the Vale.

It's called football.Ups and downs.How do you think Hartlepool and Orient fans feel atm.Yes the cupboard is bare and confidence is rock bottom.

Now it's all down to Vales management. Players will leave and players will arrive.Brown,Kelly and Morgan must now enhance there reputation and construct a squad good enough to win games.Build it and they will come.Proof is in the pudding.....and we are about to find out if we will sink or swim.As for introduce a friend to Vale,I have no problem with it at all.I always say about Vale "It's s**t.But it's our s**t "

I keep hearing this reputation in tatters thing and I think it is absolute rubbish to be honest.

Potential Good Signing: "Hello Mr Agent. Hope you are well. Port Vale, eh. Sounds good, on the coast somewhere?"

Agent .....

Potential Good Signing: "no, well never mind, what's the salary?"

Agent .......

Potential Good Signing: "Really? remind me what the minimum wage is these days"

Agent ........

Potential Good Signing: "Okay, but this is a well run club on the up, could be good for us long term. Who is the owner?"

Agent A ....... ... ........ ****, name of Smurthwaite.

Potential Good Signing: "Just googled Port Vale Norman Smurthwaite. Remind me, what were Canvey Island offering?"

It's got to the point where it's such a soap opera that some of my mates want to come out of curiosity.

I brought one of them along to Accrington away a few years ago when it all kicked off. He thought it was hilarious.

I keep hearing this reputation in tatters thing and I think it is absolute rubbish to be honest. What impact is it having exactly?

Speak to any agent who's had to deal with Norman when he's been throwing his weight around. A good place to start would be the one that represents both Alnwick and Grant.

Decent players we targeted in January refused to come to the club. After the way Smurf treated Page, and has treated players (offering 50% wage deductions instead of simply not renewing their contracts), his infantile actions have seriously affected the club's reputation. He simply isn't clever enough to predict the consequences of his actions, and has damaged the club in the process. While he has anything to do with the club, that simply won't change.

Sent from my SM-G930F using the onevalefan mobile app

Decent players we targeted in January refused to come to the club. After the way Smurf treated Page, and has treated players (offering 50% wage deductions instead of simply not renewing their contracts), his infantile actions have seriously affected the club's reputation. He simply isn't clever enough to predict the consequences of his actions, and has damaged the club in the process. While he has anything to do with the club, that simply won't change.

Sent from my SM-G930F using the onevalefan mobile app

'Isn't clever enough' That's an understatement!

Archived