onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Could you recommend Port Vale to a friend?

old sage

Why so much focus on the chairman? Iknow he is a liability but i support PVFC not Norman Smuthwaite. Do you know who the chairmen was in the days of Hancock and Nicholson, i didnt and cant remember now. You say we were on the way up when Norman bought us, SERIOUSLY we were in administration ffs. There are more clubs with bigger problems than us and we will attract players that will play for a sensible wage. We should have a competitive budget for this division and you should not expect the club to offer players inflated wages for league two.

We were second in the league and Paul Wildes was the chairman who helped get us over the line with the signing of Lee Hughes forming a great front pairing.

Yes I do blame the owner for the mess that we are currently in 100%. It is his string of lousy decisions that have cost us so so dearly.

Advert

What exactly could you recommend to your friends about Vale?

The football? food? atmosphere? family friendly? excitement? facilities? a good sing along? hope? price? value for money?

If you are not a hardened fan of Vale... what is there to attract the uninitiated to Vale Park on a sunny afternoon in August or a freezing night in January?

Players don't care about reputation. They look at the league, wages and length of contract. As for other fans' opinions of Vale, I couldn't give a hoot. It probably wouldn't hurt to have the club in a reputable position to attract new business, but we'd be dreaming there.

What exactly could you recommend to your friends about Vale?

The football? food? atmosphere? family friendly? excitement? facilities? a good sing along? hope? price? value for money?

If you are not a hardened fan of Vale... what is there to attract the uninitiated to Vale Park on a sunny afternoon in August or a freezing night in January?

If they're into football and have no team allegiance then bring that friend along to Vale and see how the pro's play, develops into a habit after a time and then you're hooked. Who really goes to a football game for the food or the facilities?

We were second in the league and Paul Wildes was the chairman who helped get us over the line with the signing of Lee Hughes forming a great front pairing.

Yes I do blame the owner for the mess that we are currently in 100%. It is his string of lousy decisions that have cost us so so dearly.

When Wildes was funded by the owner whose money sourced the player you reference (and others).

Yes his three managerial appointments have ultimately been terrible but let's have some balance.

Like I say, very convenient that our reputation is in tatters now but it wasn't when there were hundreds of fans with flares outside the main entrance every game under valiant 2001.

Just give me one players name who didn't sign solely because of Norman.

Also please explain why so many players did sign for us, including Tyler Walker whose dad played for England 50 odd times. You'd think as a family they would have more access than most to the footballing grape vine?

And with those facts you have killed the rumour peddled by a few who use it it to beat the owner.

If they're into football and have no team allegiance then bring that friend along to Vale and see how the pro's play, develops into a habit after a time and then you're hooked. Who really goes to a football game for the food or the facilities?

Do you know many who are into football and dont have a "team" already?

You cant sell passion.

Lets be honest about the football... has it been good?.. exciting?.. entertaining?.. worth the money?.. if it was why did we get relegated?

There were games when it took 60+ minutes to wake up... some games we never woke up, hardly had a shot at goal and rarely showed any sort of attack.

What is there in the football to sell to your friends?

There was me thinking this was someone opening a thread to endorse my recommend a friend initiative to benefit the club, ST holder and a new fan!

Of course not, it's a(nother) beat the club thread

When you talk to your friends about vale... the ones who dont go but could... do they go? did you sell it well enough to convince them? if they did, did they go again? buy a ST?

A lot of people were introduced to Vale by a family member and Im sure that tradition continues and people are bringing other family members... it simply isnt enough.

Vale doesnt have the ability to sell itself, why? I dont know but it fails miserably and in the main doesnt even try... instead it simply relies on the faithful, pulls at their heart strings and makes veiled threats about extinction... oh and charges them more to cover their own incompetence.

And with those facts you have killed the rumour peddled by a few who use it it to beat the owner.

Except he hasn't has he, he's simply asked a question, and then made a comparison that is completely irrelevant. I asked RB a question he still hasn't answered about how Page and past players were treated by Smurf. I'll ask you the same question. Take off your WUM hat for a second and answer honestly, do you agree that Page was treated appallingly?

People won't reveal names or sources, but anyone with any kind of connection to people involved in the game, know the impact Smurfs handling of Page and past players has had...not to mention the fact that it's bleeding obvious.

Sent from my SM-G930F using the onevalefan mobile app

Oh so we are not revealing sources of a potential transfer which DIDN'T happen, 6 months ago.

Very convenient again.

I wouldn't go as far as to say the treatment of page was appalling.

Now it's your turn to answer the questions in my last post.

I think he was

Sack him if you wish but do it in an open respectful manner, call him into your office and tell him face to face

Going back to the subject, I would never recommend Vale to anyone to be honest, for numerous reasons. For one, most who have an interest in football have already picked their team in the city, & if I was to go out of my way to ask somebody to come, likelihood is that they either have no interest in football, or are a Stoke/big PL club fan & would probably just laugh at me.

I often asked friends a few years back when I was in school/college & had a spare ticket (family away so couldn't use their ST etc), & they did take up the offer back then, but nowadays I can barely get anyone to take one for free, never mind throw me a few quid for a game.

Regardless of all of that though, there is nothing I could tempt them with, even if I was to try & recommend us. Price? No. Atmosphere? Maybe Crewe at home/away this season . Match day experience? Again, maybe the odd decent away day, but not at home. Quality of football? Again, no.

The only people we have to tap into a bigger attendance now are kids, the stay away fans, or a few floaters/non-hardcore Stoke fans who wouldn't mind attending an odd big/reduced price game.

Oh so we are not revealing sources of a potential transfer which DIDN'T happen, 6 months ago.

Very convenient again.

I wouldn't go as far as to say the treatment of page was appalling.

Now it's your turn to answer the questions in my last post.

So he wasn't treated well, same can be said for past players, and all of those people have the ability to talk. The players we signed were on loan, short term, not players we're looking to sign permanently. So I repeat, it's not comparable. Same for the protests, prospective owners / investors see potential customerspushing for new ownership. People they need to engage with. Potential new signings that know the chairman treats players / managers like ****, decide no to commit their long term future to us.

It's really not that hard to understand.

Sent from my SM-G930F using the onevalefan mobile app

Archived