onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summary of the Chairman Q&A so far

robf

You are correct, Smithie. Pricing is an excuse rather than a problem.

However, Vale's 'one-price-fits-all' policy is a frustration. Some fans will be willing to pay a tenner, and others 40 quid to watch a Vale game. People have different pricing points and that needs to be exploited. Unfortunately, there's no foresight at VP to do this or ability to find out customer preferences with no database.

I paraphrase the chairman, 'No point trying to sell loads of ST's, just give the people who buy one a pie or something'.

What hope do we have?

Prefer to think the problem became the excuse.

Advert

You are correct, Smithie. Pricing is an excuse rather than a problem.

However, Vale's 'one-price-fits-all' policy is a frustration. Some fans will be willing to pay a tenner, and others 40 quid to watch a Vale game. People have different pricing points and that needs to be exploited. Unfortunately, there's no foresight at VP to do this or ability to find out customer preferences with no database.

I paraphrase the chairman, 'No point trying to sell loads of ST's, just give the people who buy one a pie or something'.

What hope do we have?

Would these pies us ST holders are going to be given the same pies currently unavailable to buy at half time in Lorne Street.

The uptake was poor because 1/ it was not priced right 2/ it wasn't marketed properly 3/ it's not pushed by your sales staff.

How many times is a pay on the day supporter asked by ticket staff to give their details and provided information about upcoming offers and season ticket offers. Why does it have to be packaged into 10 games or a season? We have enough space in the stadium,that if for example there are 6 home games left I should not be sold a ticket for that days game but asked about purchasing all remaining games at a price. This ensures you're not relying on the team to play great on that day to bring them back. Thinking outside the box required to attract fans.

Just because it didn't work once doesn't mean it won't work at all.

Sent from my iPad using the onevalefan mobile app

Take onboard your comments and totally agree MBE. The big problem is trying to buy a ticket on match day without the delays taking extra information would create. I have a season ticket along with one of my Nephews so doesn't effect us but my other 2 nephews pay on the day. They tell me its bad trying to buy one at the ticket office before the match,still queues . That really surprises me bearing in mind the poor gates. They live in Weston Coyney so coming up another day isn't an option and they get a lift to the match so restricted in how early they get there on matchday. As I say makes no difference to me but they tell me people see the queue and give up and go the pub instead. OK tell them to turn up early/buy your ticket earlier in the week but if you want more of their money make it as easy as possible for the fans to give it you.

The club need to make it as easy as possible for fans to hand over their money. Still think there needs to be a cash turnstile at each end to help the pay on the day fans. Ticket office in the club shop a great idea but on match days also open the old ticket office in Lorne street to ease the congestion.

Take onboard your comments and totally agree MBE. The big problem is trying to buy a ticket on match day without the delays taking extra information would create. I have a season ticket along with one of my Nephews so doesn't effect us but my other 2 nephews pay on the day. They tell me its bad trying to buy one at the ticket office before the match,still queues . That really surprises me bearing in mind the poor gates. They live in Weston Coyney so coming up another day isn't an option and they get a lift to the match so restricted in how early they get there on matchday. As I say makes no difference to me but they tell me people see the queue and give up and go the pub instead. OK tell them to turn up early/buy your ticket earlier in the week but if you want more of their money make it as easy as possible for the fans to give it you.

The club need to make it as easy as possible for fans to hand over their money. Still think there needs to be a cash turnstile at each end to help the pay on the day fans. Ticket office in the club shop a great idea but on match days also open the old ticket office in Lorne street to ease the congestion.

Should be designated kiosks outside each stand where you buy tickets for that stand. They should also advertise and push the 'print at home' option, which they don't for some reason.

Would these pies us ST holders are going to be given the same pies currently unavailable to buy at half time in Lorne Street.

Probably the same meat and potato pies that sell for 99p in Tunstall market. Can't think that Smurf meant a pie. Just an off the cuff expression.

But Smurf said he had a lot to do with Hayward academy which is a senior school plus 10 more head teachers from academy schools which are part off Hayward academy group so do they just meet up and sit round a table or does the vale community people go into infant/junior schools to put the message over what port vale have to offer them on match days and after school free of charge its alright saying they have half term coaching but it costs to be involved in them and some parents can not afford it.

From experience I can say they aren't engaging with the kids directly. Not that Smurf would advertise these things but he came to the school awards evening, gave awards out all evening and spoke very generously about the club and the area. I for one was impressed at the time that the chairman would take time out to do this. Sadly this was never followed up with coaches,players etc visiting the schools to talk directly with the kids.

A huge wasted opportunity. If Smurf doesn't do it himself it won't get done....and that's why we have been getting nowhere and I'm hugely frustrated with way the club has been run. We urgently need some professionals at the club in key positions to make it run smoothly.

That would work if you started in July this year for ticket in 18/19 season

That would be an option to set up for 2018-19 then. Having read other posts it seems that V2001 ran a similar scheme. It would have to be paid into an escrow account as no one ever knows for sure what could happen in the near future. I think the more options available and the easier it is to get into Vale Park the better. We, the Vale fans, are the most powerful influence to encourage others (friends, family, colleagues) to attend the odd game here and there but the quality on the pitch is the key to getting these people to become regular attenders again. Sorry to harp on about it but a small squad of quality beats a large squad of mediocrity.

That would be an option to set up for 2018-19 then. Having read other posts it seems that V2001 ran a similar scheme. It would have to be paid into an escrow account as no one ever knows for sure what could happen in the near future. I think the more options available and the easier it is to get into Vale Park the better. We, the Vale fans, are the most powerful influence to encourage others (friends, family, colleagues) to attend the odd game here and there but the quality on the pitch is the key to getting these people to become regular attenders again. Sorry to harp on about it but a small squad of quality beats a large squad of mediocrity.

Came across this for Bradford seems a good deal,interestingly they state no cash turnstiles next yr.fro league games seems its quite common.

http://www.bradfordcityfc.co.uk//news/article/2016-17/city-launch-1718-season-ticket-campaign-target-20000-3593073.aspx

In addition, the option to pay monthly means fans can spread the payment over the season and still enjoy the benefits of being a full season ticket holder for only £7.12 a game (This is based on interest of £14.90 on a £149 season ticket. Total payable £163.90 over nine months which is still cheaper than the 3rd April price).

Key Points

Season ticket prizes are frozen from last season from 1st March to 3rd April.

There is an affordable monthly payment plan for anyone wishing to pay over nine months.

The popular ‘Flexi ’ option will remain meaning fans can still reserve their seat without buying a full season ticket. HOWEVER, the price will increase from £50.00 to £70.00 to cover additional administrational costs. Fans choosing this option will no longer receive a card but will need to purchase a match ticket prior to games either online or at the ticket office. There will be no cash turnstiles next season for league games.

Read more at http://www.bradfordcityfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/city-launch-1718-season-ticket-campaign-target-20000-3593073.aspx#b4rxhBgqu1ASUYhP.99

Given a significant proportion of our supporters are from the older generation and a significant number of this generation are set in their ways when it comes to cash, surely it makes sense to cater to their needs. One cash turnstile on each of the four home areas would encourage many occasional "walk up" fans to attend more regularly.

Example- my dad rarely goes now as he can't be bothered to queue twice. For most of his life he has attended around 20 games a season (he's never had a season ticket as he's stubborn on that score so has paid more than most each season to watch the Vale). He now (since he can't pay cash on the turnstile) attends rarely- maybe four games a season. He is stubborn- yes. He is spending a lot less supporting the Vale these days- fact.

Given a significant proportion of our supporters are from the older generation and a significant number of this generation are set in their ways when it comes to cash, surely it makes sense to cater to their needs. One cash turnstile on each of the four home areas would encourage many occasional "walk up" fans to attend more regularly.

Example- my dad rarely goes now as he can't be bothered to queue twice. For most of his life he has attended around 20 games a season (he's never had a season ticket as he's stubborn on that score so has paid more than most each season to watch the Vale). He now (since he can't pay cash on the turnstile) attends rarely- maybe four games a season. He is stubborn- yes. He is spending a lot less supporting the Vale these days- fact.

Regardless of any of that (agree with all of it by the way), as a business, to make money you generally try & cater to the needs of your customers, not the other way around. But forcing change on people & leaving them with no alternative options (especially with the age groups involved as you mention), is not a good idea. It only alienates fans further.

I've never seen another business make it so difficult for you to give them money to, Vale are unbelievable at times.

My Dad is in the same boat and sadly so am I now. I have nothing against moving with the times, I prefer to do internet banking, shop online etc, but even though we have a ticketing system, it isn't run very well. Online purchasing doesn't always work, family deals have to be asked for because if you ask for the tickets individually they charge you full price. One ticket office isn't enough and if you park on Shaftsbury avenue and want to go in the bycars or lorne street you have a jaunt to the ticket office and back which puts people off. If there is a queue, eventually people come out of the ticket office with tickets and an ice cream tub to take cash off the people in the queue in exchange for a ticket, not very secure and it would surely be easier and safer just to have a cash turnstile. If you buy a 10 game ticket you still have to queue to exchange a stub for a ticket, whats all that about? when you have your ticket, depending on the state of the Lunar cycle, stewards will either let you use any turnstile or insist you use the ticket only turnstiles and not the season ticket ones, therefore creating more queues, this after they have over zealously frisked you. It just seems like Smurf has created an Its a Knockout type obstacle course you have to encounter before you can actually get into the ground!

[. We urgently need some professionals at the club in key positions to make it run smoothly.

Thus far, the marketing push for season tickets has been an email to some,not all, season ticket holders.

If I was in charge of selling them, I would make sure that every single person on the database gets a telephone call. It's what any serious commercial operation would do.

The message though is "let us know if you would like to renew, we're not bothered either way".

This applies to me and many other fans who are knocking on 80 yrs of age. I/We can't stand the cold weather in our thinning blood and have to choose (the none too many) sunny and warmer days.

Walking from car park to ticket office and then to the Railway stand is hard on the legs,knees and back. Still, who cares, we've only contributed a few thousand pounds in our 40/50/60 plus yrs of support.

This applies to me and many other fans who are knocking on 80 yrs of age. I/We can't stand the cold weather in our thinning blood and have to choose (the none too many) sunny and warmer days.

Walking from car park to ticket office and then to the Railway stand is hard on the legs,knees and back. Still, who cares, we've only contributed a few thousand pounds in our 40/50/60 plus yrs of support.

Tony,why don't you get a ticket for games sent to you? Makes life a bit easier.:wink:

Archived