onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Stoke by--election

Bea Smith

Let the remain voters continue to complain, quite funny really������

The above is a quote from you after the reerendum.

I'm not moaning about the result, couldn't be honest tbh and the result is to be expected just find the left wing supporters very arrogant and that's from before the result.

Advert

UKIP are most likely a spent force now that we've had the vote on Europe.

They've lost their charismatic leader in Farage and only have one MP. One.

Can only see terminal decline for them. If they can't win in a place like Stoke, with their leader standing, they probably won't win anywhere. The game is over.

To make a stupid statement like that , i just consider you to be thick . And i didnt vote UKIP

Exactly what I meant with them being arrogant and if they don't vote the same way as them then your racist or thick. And if I still lived in Stoke I wouldn't have voted UKIP in this bi-election either.

Can't understand what all the bullship is about,stoke central will disappear due to the boundary changes and snell must be in line for the thickest most arrogant candidate labour have put up for a number of years.

Yes, probably the worst since you stood for Oswald Mosley's lot in 1934, eh Bookie ?

Guest TommyMac
As I predicted earlier, the Referendum vote was turned on its head here. Last June around 70% of Stoke Central voted to Leave. Yesterday, more than 70% voted for candidates who were Remain supporters. Do "the people" have any idea what they really want?

70% of Stoke Central or 70% of those that could be bothered to vote? I can't be bothered to check but, at a guess, I would think more people in Stoke voted to leave the EU last June than voted for 'remain' candidates yesterday.

Mr Hobblesworth....Labour achieved 7800 votes out of 60,000 possible votes last night. Digest that. If that is considered a result by Labour standards I would pack in right now

Must admit you do a nifty job manipulating statistics - well, until we all realise 0.2 seconds after reading it that it also means UKIP only achieved 5000 out of 60,000 possible votes, so only 1 in 12 went for them in a place with more problems than almost anywhere.

Can you do anything to make the league 1 table look a bit better /

Mr Hobblesworth....Labour achieved 7800 votes out of 60,000 possible votes last night. Digest that. If that is considered a result by Labour standards I would pack in right now

I suppose that does suggest that Labour whilst winning does not have much to crow about..its a bit of a hollow triumph as if they want to form the next govt they need to be doing a lot better and we as a nation need the opposition to be doing better.

Of course it gives ukip nothing to crow about either as with Labour in disarray this was a real chance missed..partly by putting up what turned out to be a very poor and discredited candidate.

Conservative party has to be happy with its increased share of the vote and not being far behind ukip.

I watched the Newsnight programme before the election. We left Stoke 30 years ago now because of my work. But when I come back it is obvious that Stoke has been discriminated against. The likes of Liverpool has received vast amounts of EU and national regeneration money going back 30-40 years. With private investment it is now a thriving city with a technology base. Stoke has an obvious infrastructure problem. The road network is hopeless. Public transport is very poor compared to a metropolitan area like Merseyside or London. So it needs investment, but time after time after time money has gone elsewhere and particularly on projects that serve London like Crossrail.

I am pleased Nuttall did not win. He clearly is a liability in representing anything.

I watched the Newsnight programme before the election. We left Stoke 30 years ago now because of my work. But when I come back it is obvious that Stoke has been discriminated against. The likes of Liverpool has received vast amounts of EU and national regeneration money going back 30-40 years. With private investment it is now a thriving city with a technology base. Stoke has an obvious infrastructure problem. The road network is hopeless. Public transport is very poor compared to a metropolitan area like Merseyside or London. So it needs investment, but time after time after time money has gone elsewhere and particularly on projpects that serve London like Crossrail.

I am pleased Nuttall did not win. He clearly is a liability in representing anything.

All sorts of complex reasons for that and some simpler ones. Being half way between brum and manc should be a plus but is it? I still maintain that the people in sot ask too little of the place and of each other..where was the drive to be part of HS2? It is going to happen so why not be part of it? Doesn't have the 'city' identity of places like Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds etc. The pottery industry was always the poor relation compared to ports, shippbuilding, car manufacturing, even the staffs coal and steel industries suffered compared to Yorkshire for example. SoT isn't a positive brand and these days a city needs to be a brand.I look at Exeter which has for example attracted the Met Office and is rammed with new growing businesses, a huge new science park, a new light railway, a uni that is closely involved with local commerce...so much going on. I look at Bristol wher I do a lot of work which is just so vibrant and has reinvented itself over the past 30 years.

I dunno..I just don't get that vibe about SoT and that saddens me. It has to come from the people...demand more!!!!!

Archived