onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Pereira 'hasnt trained great for a long while now'

Emile

Saw this on the sentinel website and also Rob's feature on the front page;

Speaking after the Millwall game, Brown said: "Pereira hasn't trained great for a long time now, he has not been near it, and that is where we are. But Seb is working away. He is still a young boy who wants to learn his trade in English football, I think he has played a couple of games but he didn't make this squad."

Thoughts on the above?

I find these comments a little worrying myself. Not to discredit Brown as he is the one that see's him in training everyday but I have to question why he believes he is a better option for the bench than Amaros (who is 'working away') and Pereira (who hasnt earnt himself a nickname) isn't even worthy of considering. Is he that bad of a player? Didnt seem to be that bad when I saw him earlier this season...

Advert

Saw this on the sentinel website and also Rob's feature on the front page;

Speaking after the Millwall game, Brown said: "Pereira hasn't trained great for a long time now, he has not been near it, and that is where we are. But Seb is working away. He is still a young boy who wants to learn his trade in English football, I think he has played a couple of games but he didn't make this squad."

Thoughts on the above?

I find these comments a little worrying myself. Not to discredit Brown as he is the one that see's him in training everyday but I have to question why he believes he is a better option for the bench than Amaros (who is 'working away') and Pereira (who hasnt earnt himself a nickname) isn't even worthy of considering. Is he that bad of a player? Didnt seem to be that bad when I saw him earlier this season...

Lets face it, Michael Brown has played hundreds of games at several different clubs and spent the last 20+ years at or very near to the top level of English football. If he says a player isn't good enough, I trust his judgement.

From the fleeting glimpses I had of Pereira, I don't think he can or will ever cut it at the level required of him at Port Vale. Whether it's due to ability or homesickness, who knows. All I know is we don't seem to be able to field an 11 of sufficient quality from now until the end of the season.

I just think it was a case of logistics with not taking Amoros to Millwall. He wouldn't have been in the squad had we not had injuries. However I will be dissapointed if he isn't involved tomorrow. Amoros looked a very tidy player earlier in the season and played quite well in every game I saw him in apart from perhaps the **** show at Sheffield (and even then there were worse). He's aggressive for a smallish guy, passes a ball well but most of all always wants the ball when we seem to have a lot who are scared of it most recently. He'd start tomorrow for me, but he won't.

On the Pereira front Brown seems to be a bit preoccupied with hardened, tough players but every side can cope with one flair player. I doubt any of us have seen enough of him to really make judgement so we have to trust Brown but I've seen far worse players grace Vale Park than Pereira and he's had a few promising performances off the bench as well as few times he's looked far from ready.

He may be one of the X-box group Brown mentioned a while ago, i.e with a preference for messing around at home rather than being committed to getting in the team.

Even if he's on £500 a week that's £25k p.a wasted. Times that by the other no-hopers and it's a huge waste of cash.

This is potentially Browns first managerial post, does anyone really think he would be stupid enough to not pick the best 11 players he had because of some petty grievances? HAving technical ability is no use of you haven't got commitment or stamina to take part in the game rather than letting it pass you by.

Didnt seem to be that bad when I saw him earlier this season...

No offence I think I'll trust Browns opinion over yours.

He is seeing these lads day in day out. Are they putting the workrate in training? Because if not theres little chance of making a match day squad.

Its not just about being talented either, sure its a big part of it, but a lot of it is also about attitude, commitment and work ethic. They have to put the same effort in to training as they would in a game by doing the same recovery runs, doing the same tracking of opposition players, making the same runs off the ball when in possession, are they making the right decsions on the ball, can they affect play, are they listening to managers instructions, are they striving to become better during the week, are they putting the extra work in the gym or out on the pitch, whats their communication like on the pitch with team mates, are they lazy during training, are they sloppy in the drills they do, are they up for it every day, do they even understand the game.... etc etc.

Some of it is so obvious and simple, but the whole package of being a footballer isn't solely about what they do on the ball or when they're directly involved in play aound the ball either, which is what many people judge a players performance on. No one watches whats going on off the ball. Theres so much more to it than turning up on a saturday and playing that dictates whether they make a match day squad and are trusted by the management.

No offence I think I'll trust Browns opinion over yours.

He is seeing these lads day in day out.

I find these comments a little worrying myself. Not to discredit Brown as he is the one that see's him in training everyday

I asked for thoughts, I didnt say I know better than Brown, infact as the quotes above state, I said the opposite.

There has been talk on here that Brown doesn't want the foreign players that Bruno has left him and some of them are better than the current players.

This quote worried me. I trust Brown and want him to succeed. I hope he's right, but some of these players put in good performances earlier in the season.

I asked for thoughts, I didnt say I know better than Brown, infact as the quotes above state, I said the opposite.

There has been talk on here that Brown doesn't want the foreign players that Bruno has left him and some of them are better than the current players.

This quote worried me. I trust Brown and want him to succeed. I hope he's right, but some of these players put in good performances earlier in the season.

They certainly did. And we were picking up many more points than we are at the moment.

I don't know but I can offer another view.

Rather than Brown leaving out players because of some perceived prejudice against them could it be that it's actually certain players who don't want to work for Brown? If so, then regardless of their performances earlier in the season, if they aren't putting the effort in now then it's entirely right they aren't picked.

BTW, I have no idea if the above is right or not but I'm just offering a different opinion to the one that seems to be - Brown is leaving out players who could improve the side for no good reason.

Rather than Brown leaving out players because of some perceived prejudice against them could it be that it's actually certain players who don't want to work for Brown? If so, then regardless of their performances earlier in the season, if they aren't putting the effort in now then it's entirely right they aren't picked.

BTW, I have no idea if the above is right or not but I'm just offering a different opinion to the one that seems to be - Brown is leaving out players who could improve the side for no good reason.

Bruno's Holiday Camp vs Brown's Boot Camp :yes:

I've felt that Brown has been a model professional for his entire career so to accuse of unprofessionalism as a manager would be unfair without any proof.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear some of the players who Bruno brought over were in a bit of a sulk with the changeover. I think thats why we saw a few of them leave in Jan, they just didn't fancey their chances under Brown rightly or wrongly.

I think Brown was a little neieve with regards to Thomas and it could have been kept in house a little better but I do question their working relationship especially from the 'I came here to work for Bruno and Smith' - did he even know who they were?

I also believe Brown has been given a tough hand but is also underperforming on what is needed right now from him, rightly or wrongly.

Pereira hasn't stood out all season and I certainly can't recall him ever having an impact on a game, none whatsoever.

He isn't good enough. It's that simple. There's no conspiracy theory. It's a non discussion as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunately he's never been good enough to hold down a first team place.

What worries me is why he keeps binning players in public when surely he needs everyone pulling together to turn around the awful slump his team is in. It's naive at best.

Archived