onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Voter intelligence

Bea Smith

Advert

The story was on yesterday's BBC2 news and the child's parent was extensively interveiwed , they even had the plastic gun on show and it was quite clearly a toy and cud in no wAy be confused with anything else

Perhaps, just perhaps, everyone is missing the pojnt.

THERE SHOULDN'T BE TOY GUNS, OR TOY WEAPONS OF ANY KIND.

Children should not be brought up to learn that gunfire and killing are ';fun' and 'games' and then we wouldn't have a US mentality on guns and using death as Hollywood entertainment.

. More people are killed there each year in accidents by children firing real guns after learning 'to play' than were killed by police in 25 years here.

Children's innopcence is at stake and teaching them that guns are for play is not as bad as what paedophiles do but a step alonmg the same lines of destroying their innocence.

Would you let your child play with a fake toy hypodermic syringe and the straps and things heroin mainliners use ?

There's a few on here who share that ******** opinion. I think they've never heard of hard work, dedication and risk-taking? Also called aspiration!

I,m not saying I disagree with you - but are we to take it that any opinion YOU disagree with is a [i]***starred -dunno what word it was ** [/i] opinion ?

Nothing wrong with hard work and dedication, ask nurses, those who clear our streets and drains and sewers, firemen and women, servicemen and women, ambulance staff and associated people, those who care for disabled and elderly often without pay, and many many others (apologies to some very deserving occupations I have not listed) who dedicate time to charities for nothing.

Those who work hard to improve their lives without worsening others lives are commendable too.

But people like Philip Green, the £500k bonus bankers, the 'risk takers' who go bankrupt at the cost of others pensions, the monsters who fleece people with 2500 per cent APR and more on pay day loans and the tax avoiders and evaders whjo cheat our NHS system - a growing list and you know EXACTLY which people I mean - they aspire too but take from all of us, but more from the people I mentioned in the paragraph before.

So it isn't as simple as 'hard work' and 'aspiring'.

And risk-taking usually involves other peoples money, pension, or futures - we opnly have to look at Miller and Deakin, they almost got away with risk-taking a bit near home and they certainly aspired and worked hard to do what they did toi Port Vale - if it is your own money, fine but it rarely is.

Children should not be brought up to learn that gunfire and killing are ';fun' and 'games' and then we wouldn't have a US mentality on guns. More people are killed there each year in accidents by children firing real guns after learning 'to play' than were killed by police in 25 years here.

Children's innopcence is at stake and teaching them that guns are for play is not as bad as what paedophiles do but a step alonmg the same lines of destroying their innocence.

Would you let your child play with a fake toy hypodermic syringe and the straps and things heroin mainliners use ?

Very difficult to control children`s play, a piece of stick can be a gun, they just copy what they see on the news. If their parents let them have military toys, they should be obvious toys not near replica ones, in any case they should make sure they are not brought into public areas especially schools. Children using real guns are not their fault, all weapons are supposed to be under lock and key except when in use by a licensed user. What other countries do is their problem, but a teachers responsibility is to the children, near replicas could be frightening if not so dangerous as the real thing.

Astonishingly in these days of manipulation and false news, the point of the thread was... (drum roll)..

To get people to think about this news item, and discuss it. That's all.

To answer your other questions -

Partly surprised by the findings, I expected more of a geopgraphical bias in some ways, and surprised by some of the posts on here, in some cases pleasantly and in others not so much.

- 'By extension, are you suggesting IQ tests'....... Oh please, spare me the paranoid accusations. I'm suggesting NOTHING, I put the thing up for debate and you and others can suggest anything you want. It's afree country.. well, at least for a few more months anyway.

- Yes I am one of the people with a good IQ (last time I had to take a test anyway was in the top 10 per cent) who never went to Uni. DONT ASSUME !

- The news item was interesting in many, many ways other than the obvious ones. One thing it shows is how we can all be categorised, analysed and put into compartments by where you live. A little worrying, that.

Also, to Fatboysteve - yes, we do have a lot of crap to put up with as you say but everything is relative and whilst there are many things that stink about living in England under a selfish and corrupt Tory government, we are still better off living here than in 90-95 per cent of the rest of the world. What do you want us to do about it - turn Britain into Syria ?

Final thoughts on the referendum vote - as one poster said, it was also the richer country areas that voted Leave, often the 'Tally Ho' brigade who may have had some form of education but are often lacking in morals and humanity.

Who is being "paranoid" now with the accusation--("selfish & corrupt Tory government)--REAl and actual evidence please--not your usual left wing biased paranoia? I wasn't getting at you personally, just wondering what your solution is? In a democracy (as it has always been over the years) inevitably there will be voters of varying levels of intelligence and understanding of politics.

I guess that in reality, those less interested in politics will also be the ones less likely to vote in the first place? However the demographics are broken down, the one underlying fact is that everyone who is registered is entitled to a vote, irrespective of race, creed, sexuality and IQ, so I'm not even sure what the purpose of the study was in the first place?

Yes,let's vet the electorate and if we decide they're not fit to vote we can always import a few million more.

Oh,hang on?

You forgot shipping out the ones we don't like and don't want to vote when 'the right people' get to power, so get yer coat and start packing. (joke - or then again, what happened in the 1930's?) :smile:

Children should not be brought up to learn that gunfire and killing are ';fun' and 'games' and then we wouldn't have a US mentality on guns and using death as Hollywood entertainment.

I had toy guns, played GTA, watched Rambo, Die Hard and other Hollywood films growing up and I turned out orate. People like you want to wrap up the world in cotton wool. Well guess what, there will still be pyschos out there who want to kill someone whether they had a gun as a kid or not.

More kids had guns and didn't shoot anyone as an adult than kids with guns who did go on to shoot someone.

Also, even mentioning toy guns and paedophilia in the same sentence shows how removed from reality you must be!

There's a few on here who share that ******** opinion. I think they've never heard of hard work, dedication and risk-taking? Also called aspiration!

The point (or my point and I suspect yours too) is that a lot of educated people got their thru hard work, dedication, risk taking (it's always more of a risk for someone from a relatively poor background to pursue an education) and aspiration (I'd also add self sacrifice) as opposed to having it all handed to them.

Should also get rid of student loans and tuition fees too as they are a barrier to education for the poorest.

Who is being "paranoid" now with the accusation--("selfish & corrupt Tory government)--REAl and actual evidence please--not your usual left wing biased paranoia? I wasn't getting at you personally, just wondering what your solution is?[/B] In a democracy (as it has always been over the years) inevitably there will be voters of varying levels of intelligence and understanding of politics.

I guess that in reality, those less interested in politics will also be the ones less likely to vote in the first place? However the demographics are broken down, the one underlying fact is that everyone who is registered is entitled to a vote, irrespective of race, creed, sexuality and IQ, so I'm not even sure what the purpose of the study was in the first place?

I don't pretend to have solutions for everything, or even a small amount of things.

There are just one or two little things I would do that in my opinion would improve society, like the idea on toy guns being banned, banning hunting and punishing any form of animal cruelty severely, legalising all drugs and treating drug addiction as an illness, tightening tax laws and stopping any form of offshore investment, renationalising the railways and a few other things, taxing betting with all the money going to the NHS, stopping people fleecing the public and the vulnerable and stealing their pensions or savings, no arms sales to places like Saudi or Qatar, no support for corrupt places like Ukraine, proportional representation, mandatory organ donation cards, just a few teeny little tinkerings that will no doubt prove popular with all on here.:yes:

But back to the study - it was interesting, and most posters have found it so and had their two penneth on here, great. It had the purpose to inform and ignite discussion, as I have said a lot of times, Brexit isn't over yet by a long, long way and in my opinion, will not happen in real terms. Moves may be made with dressed-up names, but in reality nothing will change much on trade or borders, we will just all be a bit worse off though.

Who is ) inevitably there will be voters of varying levels of intelligence and understanding of politics.

Whilst obviously there will be varying levels of intelligence amongst the electorate that applies to all sides. Can I request that we stop saying it was about intelligence..the survey and article clearly referred to levels of education not intelligence. Brexit voters aren't thicker than remainers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38762034

Very difficult to control children`s play, a piece of stick can be a gun, they just copy what they see on the news. If their parents let them have military toys, they should be obvious toys not near replica ones, in any case they should make sure they are not brought into public areas especially schools. Children using real guns are not their fault, all weapons are supposed to be under lock and key except when in use by a licensed user. What other countries do is their problem, but a teachers responsibility is to the children, near replicas could be frightening if not so dangerous as the real thing.

It's down to parents to raise their children to be responsible...toy guns and video games etc will only have a negative effect if the parents allow them to. Toy guns could even be used to teach them to be responsible about guns..that they belong on the battlefield not in school and so on.

Obviously there are children not being raised by their parents but they will still be raised by someone who has to take responsibility.

I had toy guns, played GTA, watched Rambo, Die Hard and other Hollywood films growing up and I turned out orate. People like you want to wrap up the world in cotton wool. Well guess what, there will still be pyschos out there who want to kill someone whether they had a gun as a kid or not.

How do we know you turned out 'orate'. The contents of your post suggest otherwise to me.

Yes, there will still be psychos but less of them - the killers of Jamie Bulger admitted they were led by a sick horror film and copied exactly what happened in it. Do you want your children toi be like that

More kids had guns and didn't shoot anyone as an adult than kids with guns who did go on to shoot someone.

Worst piece of reasoning I have ever seen on here if there were no toy guns, and ALSO no real guns around then nobody would be shot in accidents.

Also, even mentioning toy guns and paedophilia in the same sentence shows how removed from reality you must be!

Not at all, I acknowledged paedophilia is a much greater and more monstrous crime, but corrupting children by teaching them that death and killing are 'fun' and 'games' and that gun usage is normal and permitted - that is also sick and taking away innocence, maybe on a lesser scale, but I wonder if you met a relative of someone who had been killed by a 3-year-old playing with a gun, whether you'd come out with the 'cotton wool' argument then? It takes some radical thinking to stop things like this, and if it is beyond you then I do apologise.

. More people are killed there each year in accidents by children firing real guns after learning 'to play' than were killed by police in 25 years here.

Are you living on this planet ? When we were young you made your own toy guns out of sticks and ran around fields pretending to shoot each other, its called imagination, i can honestly say since those days i havent once felt the need to go on a mass killing mission. I suppose they shouldnt make toy soldiers, action men or water pistols either.

Archived